Commander
Re: 1961 Lonestar "Flamingo" - I finally Started w/pics

I'll keep my eye's open boss! ^^^^^^^^^

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey now, Don't be dissin' on PINK boats... Yes- My Lake N Sea is going to be pink... About the same color as the photo, too!

Why? Well- First it's an original factory color. Second- Nothing screams late 50's more that PINK, and third- It takes a REAL man to show up at the boat ramp with a PINK boat :)

-Andrew

jbcurt00

Staff member

Hey now, Don't be dissin' on PINK boats... Yes- My Lake N Sea is going to be pink... About the same color as the photo, too!

Why? Well- First it's an original factory color. Second- Nothing screams late 50's more that PINK, and third- It takes a REAL man to show up at the boat ramp with a PINK boat :)

-Andrew

^^ Yep ^^
Close, but not close enough?

Not quite, but nice looking...?

Really close too, but still no cigar...?

Ya got a tough motor to find WOG, more difficult then my short shaft 650 hunt..

But the mob is out there beating the bushes so, who knows, something may turn up........

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Been there, Done That. He KNOWS what that engine is and he has none, and if he did, It would be out of my range. I'm looking for someone to take advangtage of, Just like on BF2!!!:p

Wood, maybe try this guy - can't hurt to ask...

http://jackson.craigslist.org/boa/2736898334.html

I will send him an email tonite. Thanks for the link.;)

Uhhhmmmm, That MIGHT be just a wee bit small for BF1, but I'd like to have one that looked like that.:D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Wood, maybe try this guy - can't hurt to ask...

http://jackson.craigslist.org/boa/2736898334.html

^^ Yep ^^
Close, but not close enough?

Not quite, but nice looking...?

Really close too, but still no cigar...?

Ya got a tough motor to find WOG, more difficult then my short shaft 650 hunt..

But the mob is out there beating the bushes so, who knows, something may turn up........

Yeah, I've seen ALL of those. I even talked to Marc on the phone on #1. That motor IS a candidate but he was not to willing to work with me on making sure it was crated and shipped properly. If I had to hire someone to do it it would cost more than he was asking for the motor just to get it crated and shipped home. Now if someone in Sacramento California wants to swing by his house and help me crate it and then, if they are planning a vacation to Oklahoma in the near future and want to strap it to the old Winnebago, then, Maybe we could work out a deal.:eek::D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Now if someone in Sacramento California wants to swing by his house and help me crate it and then, if they are planning a vacation to Oklahoma in the near future and want to strap it to the old Winnebago, then, Maybe we could work out a deal.:eek::D

Give me some time, I may have a ride for the motor out of Socal to Ok. Give me a couple hours to touchbase w/ a few people...;)

andgott

Whoa- Easy there, Wood... You dont want to be putting a '57 merc on there just 'cause it looks purdy!

They are cool old motors, but you plan to USE your boat, not keep the engine running... You know how you put that baby into reverse? Stop it, then restart it BACKWARDS. When it is working, it's great. But when it's temperamental (and what vintage outboard isn't??), it can be a royal pain... They don't call them dockbusters for nothin!

You could just repaint a more modern outboard that color- You'd be WAY better off that way!! The mid 70's Mercs are still kind of vintage looking- Far more reliable, and a lot easier to get parts for!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Whoa- Easy there, Wood... You dont want to be putting a '57 merc on there just 'cause it looks purdy!

They are cool old motors, but you plan to USE your boat, not keep the engine running.... They don't call them dockbusters for nothin!

57? 58?

Anyway:

Said going to scrap:eek: by year end if it wasn't sold: 1959 700

Who painted it? Me as a third grader?

Another 1959

Apparently I like missions/puzzles to 'solve'. The good news is I'm finding some stuff for mine whilst hunting the far reaches of the internet:rolleyes:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well I really respect Andgott's opinion about vintage motors so I'm calling off the search for the "DockBuster" I have PM'd him for a Period Correct suggesion. I'll let you know what he thinks I should be looking for. I really think the 40 hp Rude' is gunna be to small for four adults. Maybe I'll be surprised.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I think either one of these would look really good on there. They are still older motors though.

merc.jpg

blumerc.jpg

kfa4303

Banned

I'm an OMC guy, but DANG! those things are purty!!!! I'd be afraid to even put it in the water :/

andgott

I've got THIS ONE-

In my basement... It is a pretty motor- 1961 Merc 700 'Tower' inline 6. Vroom. The nice thing about that year is it has a REVERSE gear, So you don't have to stop it and 'restart' it in reverse.

But- For you OMC guys out there- OMC made some pretty motors, too! I've also got one of these-

AngleShot.jpg

1957 Johnson Golden Javelin- Arguably the purdiest motor ever built... I think you should put a PAIR of them on the Flamingo :)

-Andrew

kfa4303

Banned

WOW!!!!!!!!! That is some serious eye candy! Where do you get all these wonderful toys? Did you restore them all yourself? I got one of these:

kicker motor pic.JPG

Wanna trade? :D ........I'll even throw in a $20!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ok, it's official, I am now looking for a 1961 70 hp "Tower".

Friscoboater

Captain

Good Choice!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Good looking motors in 1961, I've seen quite a few that replace the Black w/ boat matched paint. But I do like the Blk & Wht one. The electric blue one is FABULOUS looking!

Best I could do: not a 700, but and 800, and is 'close' to you in Colorado.

Not to muddy the waters now that they have cleared some, but FiberGlassic 'dockbuster' thread has the '61 700 & 800's as still dockbusters. Page down to post #52717....

Have a great weekend!

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Those motors are incredible! It's true: they just don't make things like they used to (notwithstanding the innovation of "reverse" without restarting). Wow, simply incredible to look at...