1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED w/Pics

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1961 Lonestar "Flamingo" - I finally Started w/pics

Paint looks great!

I had bad luck with Rusto clear so I wouldn't mess with that. Easier to touch it up in the future too if you don't clear it.

Yeah, I been readin bout that. Clear coat is OUT!!!

She's looking very good Wood.
For us guy's in the older years, we need all the help we can get. I use stools and chairs and rollers and whatever I can get.
Now if I could only find someone to hold onto my grinder for a while, I'd be in great shape.
Keep up the good work

You got ALL that right!!! If I'd a know'd I was a gunna live this long I'da takin better care of myself!!!!

Good deal Wood, your doing some awesome work. The paint looks Fantastic!!! When you going to come over and paint my boat!

Hey, It's a heck of a lot COOLER in your neck of the woods right now! I think I will come paint your boat TODAY!!! It's Gunna be 102 today here in TULSA, OK.

Looking good woodonglass, when you get it finished, you need to bring down here to lake thunderbird, so I can see if this red mud stains the hull, before I paint mine with that paint lol. Your doing a great job

I BEEN in Lake Thunderbird! That RED MUD will STAIN STAINLESS STEEL!!!! I DON"T think I'll be bringing "My Flamingo" down there!!!! Thanks for the offer though!!!!;)

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looking good WoG. My wife had me paint the front porch bikini blue and I like it.

I know its late but thanks for taking the time to post the painting info. Printed and bookmarked!

Ever use Awlgrip 545 primer under Rusto or any other enamel?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Looking good DW. My wife had me paint the front porch bikini blue and I like it.

I know its late but thanks for taking the time to post the painting info. Printed and bookmarked!

Ever use Awlgrip 545 primer under Rusto or any other enamel?

Nope, Never have. I know YD is always talking about Awlgrip but I am such a CHEAP Curmugeon, I have always just used Rusto'. And now with the Hardener I'm not seein much of a reason to change. I will do some more research into though. Thanks for pointing it out again.;)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey Wood...

Love what you are getting done to this boat.
Boat looks awsome, and I gotta say, even without a hardening agent, my rusto paint job is pretty dang tough.
If I ever paint her again, I'll add some in and she'll be bullet proof.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Just got a call from the upholstery people in Florida and they have found some Baby Blue upholstery that they THINK is a match for "MY FLAMINGO" Shipping it today, Sooooo I hope when I get it it is NOT a disappointment like the LAST AquaMarine stuff was. I NEED to get the sewing machine fired back up and get my SEATS done. Getting Anxious just a bit. And I know it will only get worse once this last coat of Top Paint goes on in the Morining.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Just wondering, did you send them some sort of sample to match?

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking great, can't wait to get mine going... I'm glad I'm giving myself a year, cause a few hours here and there makes for slow progress...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Just wondering, did you send them some sort of sample to match?
Yeah, here's the deal... I bought some from an online dealer in the fall to do the fishing seats and "Learn" how to sew. I did NOT buy enuf to do the Bench Seats cuz I was afraid I MIGHT not be good enuf. Well...after I discovered that I COULD sew good enuf to get the job done, I went to order the BLUE vinyl and they said they did NOT carry it any longer. I went searching and found this company in Florida that had a picture that was CLOSE to what I had. I ordered it but when i got it it was AquaMarine (kinda GREENISH) not even close to what their picture was. Sooo... I emailed em and said I was NOT happy and they agreed to let me send it back with a piece of my OLD stuff and they would try and match it up with what they had. They called and said they agreed that their LIGHT BLUE was not close to my light blue but they had something a little darker . We'll see when it arrives. At least they said it was on the BLUE side and NOT on the green side. I HOPE it is something I can use. I WANT to get started on Sewing again.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Garage is Plasticized!!!!!

Plasticized.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Lookin' good, good luck with the spray!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I love the word....platicized!

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can't wait to see the last coat....good luck.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I am REALLY PO'd. Friggin Compressors are nuthin but Water Pumps!!!!!! I have a Oiler, and a Water filter ON the compressor as well as a screw on filter on ALL my guns. BUT...the fitting was leaking just a tad and... You guessed it!!!! 2 freakin minutes before I was finished with the most BEEEEEE-U-TEE-FUL Paint job you have ever seen. Drip drip drip drip drip. all over the closed bow section. :eek::mad::facepalm: I let it dry all day and will go out this evening and wet sand out the bad spots and shoot the bow section. The Dash and Gunwales turned out PERFECT!!! I am VERY PLEASED!!! Thanks to ARCHBUILDER's suggestion of using a slower reducer, I used an Arcylic Enamel Car Paint Reducer rated for 85 degree temps. Allowed the paint to flow better and I had a better wet edge. It still dried hard as nails. Thanks ARCH!!!!! If it wasn't for the FREAKIN drips I'd be ready in the morning to tape off the bow for the White pinstriping, but NOOOOOOO it had to PUKE on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
22.gif

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Thats sucks!!!

I do have to ask I thought oilers were no-no's in a paint rig. I even have take the oiler off compressor and get a new hose on my list of things to sooner or later. I don't think it has ever worked since I filled it when I put it on years ago and its still full. but wasn't going to take the chance.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, they are that's why I've never put any oil it. I just use the water trap. It works!! It was just that Darn crappy fitting.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I feel for ya Wood! Did you forget the sacrifice to the gods? Still it's looking good.

rickryder

Commander

Sorry to hear the damn water got ya Wood..... But you will make it right! Can't wait to see her all nice and shiny :D

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Grrrr...of all the luck!! Hang in there it'll eventually look like you want it to! When you see something like that so close to the end you just want to scream!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Happened to a buddy of mine. He was 90% done painting his truck......drips of sweat in the middle of the hood. :facepalm:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Just like the bird or giant bug always hits the middle of your windshield while you're driving!