1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED w/Pics

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Not at all boring - we're just all soooooo jealous!

I second that. I would love to have something big enough to work on boats, but I have all the neighbors electrical lines running over my property. If I would build anything it would have to be the height of a standard 2 car garage. With the size stuff I work on that would not help much. At least I have a shed to do engine work in at home. The storage unit is plenty big enough but it is on the other side of town and I am sure they would not be happy if I turned it into a working shop.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well She's 95% Complete. Ridge Cap, End Caps and Pour a 12ft Driveway for the Garage Door.
Wednesday she should be ALL DONE!!! Probably Spray Paint it Next weekend. Not sure of color yet but leaning towards a Light Yellow with Forest Green Trim to go with the roof

West Side

IMG_0126.JPG

South Side

IMG_0129.JPG

North Side

IMG_0128.JPG

East Side

EaIMG_0130.JPG

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Looks great Mike!......now the fun starts, you get to set up all your tools!

Well not exactly. I'll move the Tablesaw, Jointer, and Planer in and then start finishing the inside. Gunna use 1/2" OSB instead of sheetrock. Then I'm making bench's to completely encircle the walls. South wall will be solid Pegboard from about 40" to 96" and all my benchtop tools.. East Wall will have typical Countertops and Cabinets. That will be my main work area. West Wall will be lumber rack and Radial Arm saw and Chop saw. The Partial North wall will be Jointer, Bandsaw, and Planer. All my floor tools are on roller bases so I can move them around to suit my needs. I also plan on having a full plywood sheet assembly table. Great to have for Upholstery work too!! 36" Walkin Door, 9 ft wide Garage Door. I may build a small enclosure with pad on the outside to put the compressor in. Cut way down on noise. All the East side and southside tables have storage drawers too!!! I'll be busy for a WHILE . I've already prebuilt most of the Table and cabinet parts. that's why my garage looks like a Tornado hit it!!! Full of WOOD!!!!

Here's my proposed layout...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Shop Tool Layout.jpg Views:	1 Size:	116.0 KB ID:	10646629

Last edited:

zool

Captain
That looks good, with the RAS and Chop saw towards the center, you should have plenty of room for long stock when working...I have my RAS on the end so i have to always work from one end...gonna move it when I reset up that area.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, should have 8ft + on either side of them. I'll recess the stands so both saws are level with each other and fences align. should make for easy set ups and cuts. Having the wood stored on racks above makes for less searching!!! I'm also working on making about a dozen of these. I'll let you know how they turn out.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Congratulations Mike ! I can see your cool projects churning out of the new shop now !!

ab59

Ensign
Man that looks great . Hope your set up plan works just like is does on paper , I am nowhere near that organized and would just have stuff in one pile or another but I would know which pile the tool I wanted was in. Having enough room for everything might stop that kind of habit though. Rock on . :thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Where's the heat and AC? Looks awesome Mike!!
KC

I heat the shop with a Propane MR. Heater!! Like this one... It has an electronic Start and heats up very quickly. Rated @ 25,000 BTU and heats 1,500 sq. ft. I use a 100# Propane Bottle and I have to fill it once per winter. 23.5 gallons. I can heat the shop all Winter for about $80. Mid November thru February. I turn it up full blast for 30 minutes then set it on LOW the rest of the day.

f270470.jpg

And I'll be cutting a Hole in the South Wall to fit a LG 24,000 BTU Window Unit. It's rated to cool 1,600 sq. ft and the shop is 768 soooooo, with the open rafters and 6" of Dead Air Space in the walls, I'm hoping that it will do the trick. If not, I'm considering putt up an Industrial Curtain to "Close Off" 1/2 the Shop Space when I can. Or, I might sheet rock the ceiling but really don't want to. My Kids say they're going to buy the AC for me. I hope so!!! $600:eek:

LW2512ER

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Hey Mike looks great! I would say 2 tons will work pretty well if you have it insulated. I have about 1100 sf when I close the curtain in the hanger. Granted it slowly cools the other half of the shop through the curtain but the 2 ton unit I have keeps it about 10 degrees cooler than outside and a whole lot less humid. The only bad thing about those open non-vented propane heaters is all the humidity they give off. I really like the unit heater I have in my small shop, bought one for the hanger too. The one I have is called Big Maxx and is 80K BTU, they make a 50K also. More $ but I think you can pick up the smaller one for $350 or so.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Hello my friend I haven't been around to much shop looks great. I also used osb I painted it white and used it on the ceiling to. painted white reflex the light. In my opinion unless you plan on using ceiling joist for storage I would do ceiling and insulate it

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Hey Minch!!! Nice to hear from you. After the walls get done, I'll consider the ceiling. I Might be doing some storage up above but we'll see. I used the OSB in my previous shop and it worked great. Painting it white REALLY increase the light

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well it's been Raining in "OkieLand" all week. Rain and finshing a Metal Roof do NOT mix!!! All that's left to finish her up is the Ridge Cap, End Caps and Pouring a 10x12 driveway ramp & hooking up final Electric. Looks like Tues. or Wed. of next week to get her all Wrapped up. Hope All of you are doing well and making Great Progress on your projects.