1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED w/Pics

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1961 Lonestar "Flamingo" - I finally Started w/pics

She looks great.
Maybe you could mount that flamingo the wife got you right on the bow, like a hood orderment. That would be cool.

It crossed my mind but then I thought it might look kinda like those Cadillacs with the Giant Longhorn's Mounted on the Hoods.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well Coat#2 is on BUT... the Paint gods were NOT smiling this morning. Lots of "Fuzzies" and Bugs. No Bird bombs. I guess the final coat will be shot in the garage cuz I Want it to be Smooth as a Babys Butt so looks like I will be Plasticizing the Garage walls tomorrow evening in preparation for the final coat.

Photo0264.jpg

Photo0265.jpg

Photo0267.jpg

Photo0266.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Still lookin' good though. Isn't it funny how the bugs and debris in the air can vary so much day to day?

How are you finding that Rustoleum reacting to the hardener? Any different than Easypoxy?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, well the Wind was up just a tad this morning, so I think that had a lot to do with it. The Rusto' seems to be just about the same as the Pettit. It was has hard as nails when I wet sanded it this morning. I did not get coat 2 on last night as I wanted to so it got to dry all night. I am very pleased with the shine and hardness. I know friscoboater said after a week he cold dent his outdrive paint with his thumbnail but he used naptha. Mine you cannot, but I am using my acetone and I did add 1/4 cup of Mineral spirits too. It is working GREAT. The ONLY thing I changed is Guns. I am using my Finish Spray gun which has a 1.2 mm tip on it. Gives me a ultra fine finish so thats why I added the extra 1/4 cup of Mineral Spirits to thin it down a bit more. Getting Great Results.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Dang, Woody, that thing is really shaping up nice.....are you going to shoot a clear coat or just shine up what you have there?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Not sure about the Clear coat. Maybe. Gunna see how Shiny the final coat is. If it stays like it is I may just leave it. It's REAL shiny just the way its is. I'm tellin ya this Rustoleum with the Hardener added REALLY makes this Paint SHINE!!!! And it is HARD as heck after 4 hours!!!!

tallcanadian

Captain

And it is HARD as heck after 4 hours!!!!

Go ahead, throw a rock at it. See just how hard it is....lol. Looking good Wood, it's getting real exciting now.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Go ahead, throw a rock at it. See just how hard it is....lol. Looking good Wood, it's getting real exciting now.

I'm afraid I'd DENT the Rock!!!!!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Wish I'd known about the hardener last year when I did the interior. Shouldn't have done it so soon, but now as I do other work, I'm marking it up like crazy. I'll have a lot of touchup to do in the end.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I know whatcha mean.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Looking good Wood,

What's the stool sitting in there? You sittin down on the job? :p

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Looking good Wood,

What's the stool sitting in there? You sittin down on the job? :p

I sure am!!! With a torn meniscus it's kinda hard tapin that paper crawlin on your knees!!!! And besides I'm OLD!!!! Not like you young WHIPPERSNAPPERS!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey wood looking good. I wonder if automotive acrylic enamel reducer would work for you? That lacquer thinner flashes awfully fast. Don't know if it would work, but it sure makes the automotive acrylics flow out and shine. Good luck with the "plasticizing", lol!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I think that's what the Valspar Hardener is. It says it's Acrylic Enamel Hardener. I'm Thinkin it's probably just like the stuff the auto boys use in their acrylics. I think I'll check the ingredients and do a comparison.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

You mailbox is full!:D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

The hardener is a separate deal wood, it is a catalyst just like MEPK in glass. The reducer is just a solvent that evaporates, its only purpose is to thin the material to a spray-able state. The lacquer thinner and mineral spirits do the same thing...I have no idea how the mineral spirits react with the paint you are using, it has just been my experience that the lacquer will make non lacquer paints blush off. I haven't shot anything like the rustoleum, if it works just run with it....just a thought....probably too much info :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Paint looks great!

I had bad luck with Rusto clear so I wouldn't mess with that. Easier to touch it up in the future too if you don't clear it.

Decker83

Commander

She's looking very good Wood.
For us guy's in the older years, we need all the help we can get. I use stools and chairs and rollers and whatever I can get.
Now if I could only find someone to hold onto my grinder for a while, I'd be in great shape.
Keep up the good work

parrisw

Ensign

Good deal Wood, your doing some awesome work. The paint looks Fantastic!!! When you going to come over and paint my boat!

tonk62

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looking good woodonglass, when you get it finished, you need to bring down here to lake thunderbird, so I can see if this red mud stains the hull, before I paint mine with that paint lol. Your doing a great job