1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED w/Pics

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1962 Lonestar "Flamingo" - I finally Started w/pics

Yeah, will it's raining Cats and Dogs again, and Tornado Warnings. Man I am NEVER gunna get this thing painted and flipped back over!!!!:mad:

Be carefull and don't step in a poodle.....:D :D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well, if it were'nt for bad luck I'd have no luck at all! I tore the medial meniscus cartlidge in my right knee. Not to bad but will need surgery. Problem is the meds I am on because of the Heart Stent I had last month will NOT allow me to have surgery till next year. Sooooo... I am in a brace until then. Hurts like the dickens but life goes on. Anyhoooooo... Weather has been good so today I cleaned out the garage, did a final sanding on the hull, wiped her down with thinner and shot the first coat of Easypoxy with the Hardener. I AM Impressed. Very shiny. Very Fast Tack Up! No Runs! No Drips! No Errors! 3 hours and just barely tacky Should be dry to touch in another 3. I think, I'll wait till in the morning to do a wet sand with a Scotch Brite pad and the Shoot Coat #2. That Might be the final coat. We'll see. Right Now I am very pleased with how she looks. I'll post pics tonite or tomorrow after the second coat.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Well, congrats on things coming together with the paint. Not so much with the knee! Can't wait to see your pics. My flying fluff blizzard stopped as suddenly as it began so now I'm deciding whether to go ahead, now that the wind has picked up some. I have concerns that it will dry too fast with the wind, wish I had some sort of shelter to do this in!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Here she is... 6 hours and Totally dry. That Hardener is AWESOME!!!
Sunlight Really shows me How BAD of a Painter I am and my Prep was NOT as good as I thought. Oh well, Lots better that she was. I can live with it. Wet sanding and Next coat MIGHT make her better.

(Click the pics to enlarge)

Photo0242.jpgPhoto0244.jpgPhoto0243.jpgPhoto0245.jpg
Photo0246.jpg

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

sorry to hear about the knee
looks good so far to me...

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looking great WoG, another coat after sanding and it will really gloss out I bet.:)

Very nice work, and I hope you can mend up, and enjoy finishing the project. It gets easier from here on out right? ;) :D

rickryder

Commander

Very nice Wood !

parrisw

Ensign

Looking good!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Here she is... 6 hours and Totally dry. That Hardener is AWESOME!!!
Sunlight Really shows me How BAD of a Painter I am and my Prep was NOT as good as I thought. Oh well, Lots better that she was. I can live with it. Wet sanding and Next coat MIGHT make her better.

Looks real good! I've decided on mine that hey, it's a 47 year old boat and it ain't gonna look like new, so I'll be glad if it looks new from 30 feet! I used to work with a great old guy who always told me that I could make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I hope he's watching over me now...or maybe not looking?

Now you've got me waffling again over the hardener, darn you! I have more time to think about it though.

Looks real nice, I'd be happy with it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I just shot coat Number 2!!! My hopes were justified!!!! She looks 100% better. I thinned the paint a bit more and it really flowed better but... I started on the transom and got a few runs so after she drys I'll sand em out and re-shoot it. One more coat and She'll be done. I'm gunna be really happy with her! Now the test will be to see if it stays on the boat or if it peels of like EZ's did. For future reference I think my formula will be 1 qt paint, 1 1/4 cup thinner, 2 oz hardener. With a 1.8mm tip... that appears to be a perfect recipe.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Great info for the sprayers among us.

What was your sanding method between coats 1 & 2?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Great info for the sprayers among us.

What was your sanding method between coats 1 & 2?

I wet sanded her with a Scotch Brite Heavy Duty pad, dried her off, and then wiped her down with Pettit Thinner. By the way. I found out Pettit's thinner is a 50/50 mix of Mineral Spirits and Xylene. Makes the paint "Flash" a bit faster than just plain Mineral Spirits.

0005113150218_300X300.jpg

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Pettit recommends 220 sanding, but that seems kind of aggresive to me. Wonder if the Easypoxy need that for adhesion? :D I read somewhere that the green Scotch pads were about 400. A Scotch pad seems a lot easier to use.

I was going to check the MSDS to see what was in the T120 thinner, considering what they charge for it, but didn't get around to it yet. Thanks.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wood, just looked at your woodworkin projects. Nice job.

I really like the dollhouse bed.

I made a bed for my son , I intergrated the ends of his crib because it still has his teeth marks in them from when he was teetheing.

Someday, I hope he will sleep in the darn thing.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I just shot coat Number 2!!! My hopes were justified!!!! She looks 100% better. I thinned the paint a bit more and it really flowed better but... I started on the transom and got a few runs so after she drys I'll sand em out and re-shoot it. One more coat and She'll be done. I'm gunna be really happy with her! Now the test will be to see if it stays on the boat or if it peels of like EZ's did. For future reference I think my formula will be 1 qt paint, 1 1/4 cup thinner, 2 oz hardener. With a 1.8mm tip... that appears to be a perfect recipe.

Hmmm, I can't seem to find the pictures of coat #2....you can't just leave us guessing you know.

Imron would stay on without worry....;) :p

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Now THAT'S FUNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! Thanks JAS!!!!!!!!!!

Pics Coming tonite. Takin a break from the HEAT Right Now. Been Revampin my cradle so I can sit the Boat on it Right Side up Since the 3RD and FINAL COAT of Paint is on the BOAT Dried and CURED. Maybe then i'll get some PEACE.:eek:

Dabbler_E

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking forward to seeing the final coat. It's definitely been a mite on the warm side.

HMCM(SS)Ret

Cadet

great job!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm frustrated!!! I can't find anyone to help me get my boat up on my cradle. Got it off, got the cradle modified so the boat will sit upright and now I need some strong backs to help lift her up about a foot and everyone left town for the weekend. Guess I'll have to wait for tomorrow evening. Once she's set up, I'll tape her off and start wet sanding the top and get her primered.
Hope everyone had a good productive weekend, I did NOT!!:(