14ft Starcraft Falcon Restore

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Brought home a new project today. Redid a SeaKing last year, and even though it was produced by Starcraft it just wasnt the same. LOL

Anyone got any ideas on the year?

Ive got another question and please nobody yell at me. If one where to cut the covered front section off the boat would it damage the structual soundness of it? This is going to be used for pretty much just a fishing boat and you loose so much area up front with that.

IMG_3403.jpg

IMG_3406.jpg

IMG_3404.jpg

Last edited:

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 14ft Starcraft Falcon Restore

It can be done but will be a bummer with the windshield. If you do and remove the windshield a few folks are always looking for windshields from older Starcrafts.You could consider a modified bow with a side to side connection for stability and that would give you a slightly raised platform.. to cast from or a front seat.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was thinking of doing a bit of a raised platform on it. And I hear ya, Im torn on the idea of cutting it out. I really love the whole retro look to it but on the other hand it doesnt fit my needs. The windshied has what looks like a bullet hole in it that spidered out a bit on one side and a couple cracks where it mounts on the bottom mounts, would that still be something anyone would want? I guess its better than nothing huh.

bananaboater

Ensign

"I've got another question and please nobody yell at me. If one where to cut the covered front section off the boat would it damage the structual soundness of it? This is going to be used for pretty much just a fishing boat and you loose so much area up front with that."

Yell

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I said no yelling. :D I havent made up my mind about it, I was just wondering how much sturctual stability that adds.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like to start with the gross parts first.

Heres an idea for everyone. If you have a boat with a floor in it and it gets rotted out, instead of taking it out and replacing it.... just put some new wood ontop of the old stuff and throw some carpet ontop. What a mess, the biggest piece I took out was maybe 2'x2', the rest was shoveled out. Time for a shower.

IMG_3417.jpg

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3422.jpg

fshngho

Lieutenant

Wow CBG, the boat looks to be in great shape exterior and once you replace wood it looks like you would be ready for water. Yea, most of us have found how others "repair" floors, with another layer of plywood:p It is dirty work, but the end result is you have a sturdy stable floor that can make you proud. One more thing, its your boat, do what you want. But...I had thought of cutting the front bow like you want, I would be worried about losing structural and I just don't know if the space is worth it. Maybe get a SS in the future:D Good luck, Dale

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I like to start with the gross parts first.

IMG_3417.jpg

Hey CBG, somebody took a great big dook in your boat man! Not cool!

Wait, never mind. Looks like you got it all cleaned out. Nice work and nice rig!!

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It was indeed nasty, I feel like I should wash it out with bleech or something. LOL. Also looked like mice had dug tunnels through all that floatation foam under there.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice job on the demolition.

Where are you located CBGale? You should update you profile to include your location. We SC guys like to know where everyone is from.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hmmmm, I used to have my profile info filled out? Its there now.

Can anyone think of someone that has taken a runabout and reworked the interior better for fishing (leaving the cover and windshield alone)? The back to back seating is great for cruising around but not so much for fishing. Need to have room for 4 people atleast. Need some visual ideas.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Hey another Michigan starcrafter! Welcome to the club.

I'd recommend going with pedestal seating, so when you're fishing you can move the seats around or even take them out altogether if you are fishing alone or with one other person. I agree that the back-to-back eat up tons of room on these smaller hulls.

Maybe install 4 seat bases to allow different configurations.

If you want an open-bow boat I agree that you should look for an old beat up SuperSport for a resonable price. I got mine for 1k and it came with a running 80hp motor, so they are out there and for good prices too.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Does anyone know if its possible to buy that aluminum trim piece that goes on the top rail on the inside edge, or is that something you'd have to find in a scrap yard?

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Hmmmm, I used to have my profile info filled out? Its there now.

Can anyone think of someone that has taken a runabout and reworked the interior better for fishing (leaving the cover and windshield alone)? The back to back seating is great for cruising around but not so much for fishing. Need to have room for 4 people atleast. Need some visual ideas.

Fours really pushing it in that 14 footer. I would say 2 guys is a comfortable fit. Three guys if you can share nice. I've done three on Lake St. Clair before:eek: in a 14 foot Blue Fin. Check your weight limit for four.

I see 16 foot SS Starcraft's all the time, might be time to upgrade (IMHO).

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Its rated for 4 people. Usually I fish with 3 total at the most. Need spots for 4 to take the family out. Dont think anyone would be happy getting left on the dock.

Time to upgrade??? I just got it two days ago. LOL

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Family is different. Kids and the wife are a lot different than you and three beer drinking buddies. They take up far less room, my posse rolls with three rods each, cooler, man-size tackle boxes, lunches............ Thats why I went with an 18 footer. Now watch, it will be me and my six year old. Just the two of us in that big boat. I see it coming now, oh well, my boy will fish rain or shine. He has no choice, I'll kidnap him.:D Mama is more than happy to get a break too.

I like your boat, I'm going to get a 14 footer next year for the smaller lakes and rivers here. I'll be watching your resto. Good luck.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well ordered my Gluvit and paint today. Going by the brochures its a 1968 to 71 and they show it in either the blue color or red. Im going with red. :cool: Oh and Im leaving the windshield alone, no chop choping.

bananaboater

Ensign

Well ordered my Gluvit and paint today. Going by the brochures its a 1968 to 71 and they show it in either the blue color or red. Im going with red. :cool: Oh and Im leaving the windshield alone, no chop choping.

I withdraw my YELL.

With a rare model keeping it original should help with the Stracraft legacy.

Good choice.

Albert

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

I've got an 18'r closed bow CB, I'm leaving it intact this season, however......
if I find it to inconvenient for what I'd like, I have no reservations on giving her some plastic surgery{alum surgery?lol}....did it to an old sea-king I had and for the 5 or so years I kept it afterwards, nothing seemed worse because of it{my 2 cents fwiw}

Welcome to the club, sweet ride, looking forward to watching your progress!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

There is a curse that goes with cutting on a Starcraft. A little trim, trim you can get away with. Major alterations will result in the curse befalling the unfortunate soul.

Just thought I's share that with you.:D In case you change your mind. The original lines are sweet. Glad your keeping it stock.