14ft Starcraft Falcon Restore

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 14ft Starcraft Falcon Restore

No, have not run it yet.

Andy in NY

Commander

have you at least started it on muffs???

you are temping fate if you havent...

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There was no starting it to be had. Got the boat for the boat, motor was just a possiblity hanging on the back of it. It wasnt locked up so figured Id see if I could get it going. So havent actually had been able to try and start it....... that is untill today.

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!!!

So as I was saying I had no idea about this thing when I bought it. So far I had to replace the bottom end, water pump, rebuilt the fuel pump and rebuilt the carb. Today after fixing the recoil after it jamed up on me I buttoned it all back together, since I havent got the electric start all worked out yet I figured I was in for some pulling. Grabbed ahold of the handle and gave it a good pull, about halfway through the pull the thing took of like a rocket, scared the crap out of me!!!!! :eek: I was expecting some spit and sputtering, instead I thought it was going to blow up, quick hit the key and killed it. Turned the throtle down, threw it in some water and fired up again. Not of the woods yet though, dont think Im getting water circulating. Going to see what the OMC experts have to say.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We now have water pumpage!!!!!!! :D

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

Very admirable progress!

Those boats have good strong hulls. Your model is very compact and yet fairly spacious for a 14' runabout. When yours was made it would have come with a fixed bench seat with back to back seating; later models somehow managed to fit a pair of fold down sleeper seats.

I thought you might be interested in a page from the 1968 Starcraft brochure. It shows the Falcon 14 (known as the Holiday 14 in the 1970s) and the Jet Star 15 (Exact same boat as the Falcon 14 but 1 foot longer).

Attachments

• 68_Starcraft_Falcon_JetStar.jpg
    68_Starcraft_Falcon_JetStar.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 5

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Very admirable progress!

Those boats have good strong hulls. Your model is very compact and yet fairly spacious for a 14' runabout. When yours was made it would have come with a fixed bench seat with back to back seating; later models somehow managed to fit a pair of fold down sleeper seats.

I thought you might be interested in a page from the 1968 Starcraft brochure. It shows the Falcon 14 (known as the Holiday 14 in the 1970s) and the Jet Star 15 (Exact same boat as the Falcon 14 but 1 foot longer).

Thanks for the picture, thats one I havent seen yet. Theres a collection of brochures in the Starcraft section but that ones not in there. See that Falcon has a double knee brace in it, where mine has a single brace.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was in the process of removing the piece of wood for the dash, or excuse me.... helm. :D It had some old vinyl that was cracking apart on it and I was planning on replacing it with black vinyl. Once I got that old vinyl off that piece of wood behind there looked pretty darn good, its oak I think. So I gave it a quick sand and for the heck of it I grabbed a can of old stain I had and slapped some on there. What do you guys think?

IMG_3648.jpg

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think that oak looks great!!! Get some varnish on it and it should be smooth as glass! Do you have any other wood trom in the boat?

Terry

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nope, thats the only wood in the boat, other than some of the transom wood you can see.

Jolfon50

Recruit

I have the same boat that had already had the bow cutout for a casting deck. I had to pull out 2 floors as well and built a sub structure from aluminum angle and about a billion rivets. The decks are 1/2" CDX plywood with fiberglass cloth and resin. Very stiff and water resistant. I have not finished but am looking to sell her now because I just came across a 1985 Alumacraft Bandit with a 70hp Johnson. I know it's not the same but a man has to fish. I'll have to figure out how to post some pictures.

Jolfon50

Recruit

I hope you can see these.

Attachments

• BOAT 1.jpg
    BOAT 1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 2
  • BOAT 5.jpg
    BOAT 5.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 2
  • BOAT 12.jpg
    BOAT 12.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Sleeping Jimmy's 009.jpg
    Sleeping Jimmy's 009.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG00019.jpg
    IMG00019.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 2

Jolfon50

Recruit

Need to take some more pictures. I've got a little bit of carpet down and the seat mounted in the forward casting deck. I was skeptical of the rear casting deck but it is a great spot to fish in. I usually let whoever I take fishing sit up front and I have no problem with standing in the back being a little higher up. Boat is awesome and will be sad to see her go. I've got a 67' Evinrude 40hp as well as a 65' 40hp that is a remote. Was going to put in a console but like I said she is going up on Craigslist as soon as I take care of a few things.

Attachments

• IMG00021.jpg
    IMG00021.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG00027.jpg
    IMG00027.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG00101.jpg
    IMG00101.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG00051.jpg
    IMG00051.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG00098.jpg
    IMG00098.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 2

Andy in NY

Commander

I was in the process of removing the piece of wood for the dash, or excuse me.... helm. :D It had some old vinyl that was cracking apart on it and I was planning on replacing it with black vinyl. Once I got that old vinyl off that piece of wood behind there looked pretty darn good, its oak I think. So I gave it a quick sand and for the heck of it I grabbed a can of old stain I had and slapped some on there. What do you guys think?

IMG_3648.jpg

you sure its not mahogany? that was a pretty common boat building wood back in the day...

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It could be Mahogany? I do better identifiying wood while its still on the tree. :D

Andy in NY

Commander

It could be Mahogany? I do better identifiying wood while its still on the tree. :D

ya you are right about that! there are a few i can identify in lumber form though, like oak, maple, cherry... that honestly doesnt look like the grain pattern of oak.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Controls and steering are in, still need to tie the cables up along the rail, but going to wait till all the wires are run. Getting the steering all equaled out and then trying to get the wheel straight on center was a bit of a task, and it doesnt turn as easy as Id hoped. But its just a rack and pinion and Im sure the motor could use a little lube on the pivots, I think I saw a zert under a few layers of paint. And no, I wont win any awards for best looking Glovit application. :D

Shot of the helm.

IMG_3652.jpg

And the splashwell, complete with new drains and cable boots.

IMG_3653.jpg

Triton II

Commander

Good looking lump of lumber CBG... I'd be keeping it as is for that classic "sixties European sports car" look. Some chrome bezel black faced gauges will really compliment the "helm". :D

TII

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good looking lump of lumber CBG... I'd be keeping it as is for that classic "sixties European sports car" look. Some chrome bezel black faced gauges will really compliment the "helm". :D

TII

Thanks Triton, its staying for sure. It looks pretty good and its saving me alot of time by keeping it. I dont need anything fancy and the fish wont mind.

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

TII

Triton's got me thinking of a James Bond look :p