14ft Starcraft Falcon Restore

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 14ft Starcraft Falcon Restore

Inside of the boat got GluvIt put on on today, trailer rollers all adjusted and a fancy new winch mounted. Didnt take any pictures of the GluvIt job, figured it wasnt anything very exciting to look at. Plus EZ would see it and tell me I did it wrong like my transom. :D Just kidding buddy, I appretiate the heads up.

When mounting a winch how do you guys decide on where to position it? My thought was it should be below the level of the eye to have a little downward pressure on the boat, but then it will probably pull easier up to the stop if its straight on?????

bananaboater

Ensign

When mounting a winch how do you guys decide on where to position it? My thought was it should be below the level of the eye to have a little downward pressure on the boat, but then it will probably pull easier up to the stop if its straight on?????

Mine is mounted a few inches below the eye.

Huron Angler

Admiral

If you have some poly leftover EZ is right, you should lay some cloth/resin down over the first coat and the transom will be stronger than just the ply.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you have some poly leftover EZ is right, you should lay some cloth/resin down over the first coat and the transom will be stronger than just the ply.

Do I need to prep anything on that first coat before doing the second, and when your laying the cloth do you just put it on the main front and back sections or do you put it on the edges also?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

No clue, we used epoxy so we didn't have to learn that stuff :p

I'd imagine you'd want to wrap the edges or else the poly by itself will crack. What I do know is that coating the pieces to be fiberglassed with resin is a typical first step so you are on the right track.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Do I need to prep anything on that first coat before doing the second, and when your laying the cloth do you just put it on the main front and back sections or do you put it on the edges also?

To get better info on poly resin you will want to check out some fiberglass boat restos...do a search in the restoration section for "polyester resin" or "poly resin" and you should get lots of info.

Calling the manufacturer maybe another option.

The good news for you is that poly is cheaper than epoxy and it works well if laid over glass properly.:)

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Turtled and ready to start prepping for paint.

IMG_3558.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I'm gonna try to clear out my garage and get my 14 ft Lonestar in there flipped over as well..

Since (like most things BOAT) I will do this solo..
Where ya able to do this by yourself? I think I'll be OK, I aint that weak (yet...):D

Looks like you are well on your way!

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Had my dad give me hand flipping it over, probably could have managed by myself but was worried about the windshield. I have a system that Ive developed for easy flipping. Take a tiedown strap and wrap it around the garage rafter, then hook that on the front eyehook (make sure you just dont use the open hook, tie it in with a rope or something incase it gets bound up it wont come out) and lift it up in the air, then flip it from the back while it pivots on the eye hook. Did my 15ft Seaking (starcraft) by myself that way... but no windshield on that one.

Case450

Seaman Apprentice

I'm planning the exact same mod to my mirrocraft. I wil be putting a small casting deck in front where the bow will be removed. I think that will add some stabillity for sure. If the top rails get to wonky on my I will add some aluminum C-channel to stiffen it up.
You have a good lookin' slate to start from tho!
Keep up the good work lad.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm planning the exact same mod to my mirrocraft. I wil be putting a small casting deck in front where the bow will be removed. I think that will add some stabillity for sure. If the top rails get to wonky on my I will add some aluminum C-channel to stiffen it up.
You have a good lookin' slate to start from tho!
Keep up the good work lad.

Im going to leave mine as is, decided to leave it as original as possible.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ready for paint now. Took the wire wheel to all the seams and resealed them. Hit the rest with the sander and some steel whool to scuff up the old paint. Sprayed any exposed metal with the self etching primer. So im ready to paint but Michigan isnt, talking high in the mid 40's for this weekend, looks like I'll be spending some quality time with the motor.

IMG_3566.jpg

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First coat of paint on.... its red. Some of these pictures are upside down to get the full effect. :D

IMG_3580.jpg

IMG_3581.jpg

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3582.jpg

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Jas.

Why did I think red was going to be a fun color to paint? I cuss the wife out whenever she wants a wall painted any shade of red. Guess I'll just get it painted good enough it'll be a 20ft boat (looks good from 20ft). Glad I bought a gallon of paint.

So heres coat #2 (10 to go)

IMG_3590.jpg

IMG_3589.jpg

IMG_3586.jpg

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks EZ, I like it now that I see it on the boat. I was having many second thoughts on the color. Infact so much that 30 minutes after I had ordered it I sent the company an email asking them to switch it to a dark blue, apparently they didnt get the email. :D

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Third coat went on today, think its going to need another one..... and thats where I draw the line. Im using this Hawthore marine paint I found online, it was cheap which appeals to my Dutch side. Doesnt seem like bad paint but its not near as thick as the expensive stuff I used before. And its red, and all red paint covers like garbage.

No pictures today, its still red. :D

Got my pedestals ordered last night. Going with two removeable posts for the passenger seat and drivers seat. Then going to have two seats in back up against the splashwell that will fold down flat. Then will have an extra mount between the rear seats and another mount centered up further in the boat. That will allow me to move the front seats into better fishing spots. Will end up something like the picture, but not near as cool, wish I had money for that rig.

Attachments

• Targa-V-18-Combo_img5573_700.jpg
    Targa-V-18-Combo_img5573_700.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 3

Triton II

Commander

Hey CB,

She looks great mate! Nice work... keep the pix coming.

TII