14ft Starcraft Falcon Restore

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 14ft Starcraft Falcon Restore

Im about ready to pull the wood out of the transom. Question is how do I remove the two drains for the splash well? Looks like they are flared out on both ends? Can take a picture if needed but I figured you guys would know what Im talking about.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Im about ready to pull the wood out of the transom. Question is how do I remove the two drains for the splash well? Looks like they are flared out on both ends? Can take a picture if needed but I figured you guys would know what Im talking about.

If you don't mind paying a few bucks for new ones(if they are plastic)...just break them and pull 'em out. If you want to keep them to reinstall...maybe a razor blade to cut any sillycone that is holding them and a good yank with some pliers.

Glad to hear you decided not to cut the bow...I once considered getting a 15' Starcraft Holiday and doing the same. I ended up with my 16' SS and everybody is happy:D

Well, I will be happy once she is back on the water;)

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

They look like aluminum to me. Heres a picture of it, guess I have to bend the flange straight and push it out????

IMG_3516.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I would just mutilate them with a pair of needle-nose pliers and buy new ones for $2.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

I've got an 18'r closed bow CB, I'm leaving it intact this season, however......
if I find it to inconvenient for what I'd like, I have no reservations on giving her some plastic surgery{alum surgery?lol}....did it to an old sea-king I had and for the 5 or so years I kept it afterwards, nothing seemed worse because of it{my 2 cents fwiw}

Welcome to the club, sweet ride, looking forward to watching your progress!

H S F what citrus remover did you buy? Man your project looked good. Tried to PM but dident work SORRY.

motorpsykler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very cool boat, CB, glad your not cutting it up. Looks like it will be a lot of fun. What size motor is the hull rated for and what are you going to use?

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well that took a little redneck engeneering to get that out. Good thing I have a degree in the subject. :D

IMG_3541.jpg

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Very cool boat, CB, glad your not cutting it up. Looks like it will be a lot of fun. What size motor is the hull rated for and what are you going to use?

Tag says 40hp so thats what going on it. LOL The boat had a '62 Seaking (OMC made) 40hp on it. Going to take a little work to get it back to snuff. Found the bottom end gears where rusted out due to the 3 inch crack next to the skeg. Has spark. Need to rebuild the carb yet. Figure out the mess of wires. Its going to keep me busy for a bit, and thank God for this forum or Id be lost on how to fix it.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got my Gluvit today. Any tips on putting this stuff on or direct me to thread thats covered the subject.

bananaboater

Ensign

Gluvit has a web site of how to. i should have watched it before I did mine.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If a mod wants to move this into the restoration area feel free, I suppose I should have started this in there?

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got my new (used) lower end form my motor dropped off yesterday, other one was cracked and rusted out. Also picked up a teleflex rack steering unit from a guy for $40 on Craigslist. And my paint got delivered today. Oh and I ordered my seats, if anyone is looking for a great deal on seats check these out. I had them in my last boat and loved them, they arent anything fancy but a great deal. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5293045

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Made a little progress today. Got the inside of the tincan powerwashed out in prep for the GluvIt, while thats drying out I started on the piece for the transom. Sandwiched two pieces of 3/4" exterior grade ply together and slapped on a little fiberglass poly resin to seal things up. First time Ive worked with it, should have read the wear rubber gloves part. :D

IMG_3549.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I wouldn't get in the habit of sealing things with just poly resin. Poly has little strenth by itself. It really needs some sort of glass to be effective. Epoxy, on the other hand, has excellent adhesion and can be used by itself (but of course is even better with glass).

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

EZ, is this going to crack and come off then?

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Anyway to salvage it or am I looking at starting over?

Sturdi87

Cadet

Nice boat! I think I have the same hull, I have been trying to figure out exactly what I have, do you have this little marking /29/N" ? Its on the bottom of the cap on the top of the bow.
100_2079.jpg

I pretty much guessed it was a starcraft, but looking at yours I see things that match that I haven't seen anywhere else. I am pretty sure my hull is the same exactly, and that someone did some modifications and shortened the cover on the bow, I can post pics if you would like to see.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Anyway to salvage it or am I looking at starting over?

Add a layer of fiberglass cloth to it and it will be stronger than if you hadn't messed up! You can probably get enough for your needs at Lowes/HD or an auto parts store.