what about concrete backerboard instead of wood for deck?

reelfishin

Captain
Re: what about concrete backerboard instead of wood for deck?

I had to literally laugh out loud at reading this :D

I wasn't laughing when I was busting that mess up. I was more or less in total awe that anyone would use a masonry product in a fiberglass boat. Let alone the paper backed kitchen flooring. Just a note, kitchen flooring has little to no UV resistance, it flakes up, fades, and peels, leaving the mushy gray backing stuck to what ever it's sitting on.
Floor leveler is for just that, floors, not decks. I think it may even be heavier than concrete too, it's far denser and poured in a liquid form and allowed to harden. The rocket scientist that did that boat even used it like Spackle to fill in screw holes and mold in a drainage gully along each side. I took out three trash cans of that cement like leveler, it took me two months to filter it into my weekly trash collection to get rid of it.
If I had taken the boat as it was to the dump, I'd have had to pay for every pound of that stuff. As it was it cost me $75 to get rid of. It would have been double that or more with all the weight I took out. Not to mention the Buick seats it had, stainless server trays from a buffet table cut into the hull for bait buckets I presume, and the 10 pounds of rusty drywall screws used to hold everything together. Especially the homemade seat boxes holding up the 100lb Genuine GM seats. The 1/2" thick 20x30" transom reinforcement plate was also a real winner on that boat. I was most amazed that the thing even would even float. (It came from a guy that was using it daily).
It was also the first boat I had seen where as the batteries were both made permanent by using 5200 adhesive to hold them in place. They coated two sides and the bottom of both batteries and shoved them in place under each rear corner seat at the stern. I had to cut them out with a Sawzall.
The only saving grace about the whole boat was the mint clean Optimax 115 outboard and controls, (which of course were also glued in place, the guy felt the need to caulk the perimeter of the controls with 3M 5200).

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

You keep saying there is no backing on the walls of showers..

Well, when was the last time you stood with both feet on the shower WALLS while the walls were coming and going at your feet from waves?

I can guarantee you that on the FLOORS of showers where backerboard is used, you will find sub-flooring underneath. If, for some reason you do not find subflooring, that's probably why you are there repairing the tile!

Eute

Seaman

i know there isn't plywood behind the backer board its nailed strait to the studs. I'm not the installer of that stuff i just put the shower valve and head in. The rare cases that we do a house.
I do commercial buildings. I just remember seeing the backer board and its seems to be pretty tough stuff and they use a circular saw to cut it like you would plywood. And for the floor its just the sub floor, plywood, that is under the tile with a 30 mil rubber vinyl. Its cut and glued together into a pan shape, (hence the name shower pan), that the tile guys tile over. it is placed along with the drain and nailed a foot up on all sides of the stud walls before the backer board is nailed to the studs. i have had to drill a 4" hole for the shower valve before into this stuff and it is just as tough to cut as plywood.
Backer board was just a idea for substitute of plywood. Is why i asked if anyone has tried it. Ideas to steer away from wood rot is all i was thinking.:)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Thanks very good answers i didn't take in consideration. :)
but they do use the metal studs as load bearing walls and floor joist, the 20 gage ones which weigh about the same if not less then wood ones.
Also wouldn't you attach those the same way as you do wood?
Even doubled up 16 gage would still weigh a fraction of what wood would

Aluminum stringers here..but it is an aluminum boat..