1987 Wellcraft 192 Classic Cuddy Cabin Restore

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, it is a long story but this turned out to be a free boat basically. Of course if you want to get technical I actually cam out a little ahead with this boat and trailer package as a bonus.

This boat has a 3.0 4cyl Mercruiser and Alpha One outdrive. It is still winterized but I did start it up. When I say I started it up I mean I put a little gas in it and barely turned the key. It started up and idled with no trouble at all. The outdrive is also in great condition. I will have to admit when it comes to wood rot this boat may possibly be an exception to what we all assume. Floor rot is most always left with the assumption that the transom also has some rot. Well, I have checked every part of this transom and have found none at all. Apparently the rot as you can see in the pics is mainly in the general area or close to where the cooler used to be. There is no rot at the rear close to the engine and no rot ahead of where the cooler was. Other than the floor rot and the two lounge seats this boat is complete and not only does everything work but everything is in great condition as you can see in the pics.

This boat from what I have found is built using Cortec construction. Is this just another name for fiberglass or is it something different? Any info on this construction will be appreciated.

I will be posting repair pics as I get things done.

side.jpg

rear.jpg

doghouse.jpg

cuddydoors.jpg

cuddyfloor.jpg

cuddysidestop.jpg

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 Wellcraft 192 Classic Cuddy Cabin Restore

looks nice, good luck with her, when i get my 15'9" done id like to redo a cruiser (somethinglike this) to take the admiral out in, dont think she'll b real comfy in a small fishin boat.
remember there is no such thing as a free boat.
again good luck and enjoy her.
D

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well see thats the thing. In my signature you will see a link to my Chaparral. The Chaparral was given to me for free as well but no where near the condition of this one. I found this Wellcraft and the guy said he would take $500. Well, I sold the good parts from the Chaparral and have already made a little over the $500 and still have the Alpha One outdrive from the Chaparral with a V-8 but the V-8 has a cracked block. The Alpha One drive is in great condition. I agree, there is no such thing as a free boat, but this one sure is making it close..lol

Considering the low cost of repair on this boat, the outdrive from the Chaparral when it sells should about cover my cost for materials to repair this one. If it doesnt sell then I always can use it as a spare backup drive...:)

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

at least you have a plan, you should be $upright on this one soon then. or at least sooner.
again nice boat, good luck, D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Of the three project boats you've acquired.....this one definitely has the most potential, and the most realistic chance to see the water this year. Real nice deal on it! Good luck. I HAVE seen a few boats on here with floor rot but a perfectly fine substructure. So it does happen. Not usually, but sometimes.

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes this one is most definately the one with the most potential and least amount of work required. The Chap has been put on the back burner, maybe realistically..lol.

The Maxum on the other hand does need work but we currently use that boat.

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like a good canidate for resell.

10thHawk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looks like it will be a nice project. I'll be keeping an eye on this as I have the same boat. Might motivate me to do more to mine.

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I got all the fade sanded out of the gelcoat. My last sanding over the entire boat was wet sanding with 1000 grit. I buffed on one side but it appears the finish doesnt hold for long. I am thinking about spraying a clear coat over the gelcoat. Considering it is a boat, will this work? I am looking at using an Acrylic Polymer resin clear coat. Any advice on doing this? The underside obviously wont be done but I will spray it on the outside top and the inside panels.

Cptkid570

Ensign

Hey,
I saw your post # 3808 on Ooops's restoration project where you were asking about using an acrylic urethane to coat your boat where the paint is oxidized and faded. Did you ever get an answer to that?

I have a boat where it's oxidized, but just after I wax it, it looks good, then the wax quickly fades and it's back to looking faded. I'm thinking of repainting this portion, but if the acrylic urethan can give it that "wet look", then that may be an easier way to go..

Let me know what you find out.. you can private message me here or email me at cptkid570@aol.com

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cptkid570;

No I havent got an answer yet. I dont know if noone knows, or they think I am crazy for considering it, or if its just noone responding. I will be trying it soon though if I dont hear from anyone and will let you know how it goes if I try it.

Mine did the same as yours, I would buff and wax it and by the end of the next day it was faded again. It did look just slightly better but not much. I have heard of others spraying a clear coat on the boat but I havent used acrylic urethane before so I am asking first.

If nothing else, it cant hurt considering the price I will be giving for the clear. If I am happy with the finish I think I will buy up more of this clear just to have for later.

Cptkid570

Ensign

Maybe one of us should start a new thread asking about that... Sometimes new ideas or questions can get burried into a pre-existing threat.

I'd start a new post, but don't want to hijack your idea :)

If you want me to though, I'll start a new thread on it. You may be better suited to start the thread because you know more of what you are talking about with it.

Would you be putting it on or having someone else do it? How would you apply it? Spray or roll and tip?

Also, what is the difference between clear coat and acrylic urethane?

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can start the thread if you want. It appears your more technical questions are a few of the same I have.

I will be applying this myself and will be spraying it.

There really is no difference between a clearcoat and an acrylic urethane in the sense you have mentioned. Clear coat comes in all different types of paints. Acrylic enamel, laquer, polyurethane, acrylic erethane, etc. The type clear coat I will be using just happens to be the acrylic urethane type. According to the guy I will be buying it from, he says it is suited for my application.

Acrylic urethane also is reduced or "thinned" using mineral spirits rather than acetone, laquer thinner or other types of reducer or thinners.

gerard143

Cadet

I replied to your posts about painting on your other post you started.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2573964

if you got questions about it i'm your guy.

you say your using acrylic urethane...... how will you be applying it? your are going to be spraying this on with an automotive style paint gun correct? a gravity feed or siphon gun?

I prefer gravity feed hvlp's.

please see the other post... i'm putting some good information on there for you now.

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just thought I needed to post some updates. I got the floor tore out, new floor put in. Restored all teak wood and even made a few things to spice up the boat.The cup holder for the doghouse was missing when I got the boat and since this originally was made from I believe plastic or plexiglass I decided I wanted something nicer and made one out of teak wood. No pics yet on the cup holder but will have some soon.

Here are a few pics of the stringers after I got the deck off. Sorry, forgot to take pics of the stringers after repairs were made.

floorstringers.jpg

floorstringers2.jpg

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are a few pics of the new floor.

floorfromfront.jpg

floorfromrear.jpg

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are a few pics of the teak items I restored.

This is the original swim platform.

rear.jpg

Here is a pic of the original cuddy doors and frame.

cuddydoors.jpg

roscottjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are pics of the teak items after being restored. I sanded them down to get all the weathering off and then coated them with an exterior polyurethane. Curious to see how well this holds up. If I have to redo it later then I will at least be able to compare the cost with teak oil as well as see which one lasts longer. The small area that originally had a cooler was missing the cover or hatch or whatever was there before so I made one. Once again the Chaparral came in handy. I used the ski locker from the Chaparral to make a teak cover for this are which will now be a storage area rather than a cooler. I will have pics of this later. The frame for the Chaparral ski locker was also cut down to size for this area. Also, the cup holder on the doghouse that I mentioned earlier was also made using the ski locker from the Chaparral. I will also have pics of this later. The cup holder will even be mounted to the doghouse using hardware donated from the Chaparral. I guess this boat could possibly be called a Wellparral now. lol

Here is thw swim platform. If any of you notice, this is not the same platform as in the pic in my previous post. The one originally on the boat was small. This one is larger and came off the Chaparral that is in my signature. This one took quite a bit more sanding to restore it but I wanted the larger platform.

swimplatform.jpg

Here are the cuddy cabin doors.

cuddydoors-1.jpg

And the cuddy cabin door frame.

cuddyframe.jpg