Cost of seat re-upholstrey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys... Been a while since i've been on here.. I took my seats to a guy to get a price on getting them reupholstered. I have 2 bucket seats, a bench seat and back, and the sun deck. It will be 3 colors, and he said he would re use the foam, plus add another 1/2" of foam under the new material.
He gave me a price of $1100. I was wondering if that sounds reasonable? :confused: I should add, that there are no cracks and or rips in the old seats, that's why he's said he could use the old foam. They just look old and worn out...

Attachments

• boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 3

drewpster

Commander
Re: Cost of seat re-upholstrey?

never go with the first estimate. I suggest you get another estimate from another shop. That does not mean the price is too high, it just means you will get a better idea of what it costs. You should also consider the reputation of the shop. Try to find a local car show. Talk to the participants at the show. They will know about every shop in the area.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

That's funny,
I have heard that same number twice today.
We just back from a upholstery shop, we had 4 seat bottoms and the the sun deck and bench back. $1100. We are still looking at options.
I agree with drewpster, get more estimates.
Good luck
Bob

RepoMan207

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think the key thing with upholstery & canvas shops is what they're using for materials. Call your local trusted marina and ask them whom they would recommend. Were as $1100 sounds like alot, it's not a bad price considering the contour of your seats, not to mention the tri color. I would consider that an average price actually. Spend the $ and do it right, then take care of it the best you can. The extra ching you spend now will more then make up for itself down the road.

DynaRider84302

Recruit

I am kinda funny when it comes to something I want to make right. I just bought a 40 year old Schuster Tahiti that still needed some work.

Pulled the seated and found and vinyl wrap plywood was rotten on the bases. The seat bottoms were okay but what the heck...Make it right.

While I was at it I figured a new rear panel couldn't hurt to make it all right and new again.

I never even ask him for a price but I know it will be fair ad better than new.

As for the new seat covering, same deal. I picked the best person to do the job from a short list of old school rodders.....Haven't even asked him a price and I wont until he is done.

Spend an extra $100-200 and have the seats last and extra 5-7 years and still look great.

Just my 2cent worth.

Karsten

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Looks like I have the same problem you do, same seats too!

I had an estimate of $750 to recover these, no new foam, no new wood, only one color, labor and vinyl only...
P1000979.jpg

So, it sounds like your bid would be about on par with what I heard.

I won't be going that route as I can buy new for less than that or I may end up learning a new skill!

Have fun!

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This all sounds expensive to me....BUT are we not do it yourselfers?..At least give it a "college try"..Then if all else fails start checking on some "pro" to do it..I had "pros" work on my stuff before and my kids could have done better....I have done my own work on cars ,house and my boat and knew nothing about it..It 's forums like this and the internet are such VALUABLE resources and dont forget the old standby..BOOKS..Just my 2 cents....

Pete

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

This all sounds expensive to me....BUT are we not do it yourselfers?..At least give it a "college try"..Then if all else fails start checking on some "pro" to do it..I had "pros" work on my stuff before and my kids could have done better....I have done my own work on cars ,house and my boat and knew nothing about it..It 's forums like this and the internet are such VALUABLE resources and dont forget the old standby..BOOKS..Just my 2 cents....

Pete

Yah, I am with ya Pete. I have been leaning towards picking up one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Speedy-Stitcher-Sewing-Awl-Model/dp/B000FXT814

...and taking a run at it!

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool Jas!

I just want to find a book on Upholstery..Found a couple,,Maybe Ebay...Maybe someone else will chime in on some resources..

Pete

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Upholstery work is $$. I got estimates for some cushions I wanted redone and it blows my budget. I decided I will leanr to sew myself and have one of the seats done by someone in the know.

benjh1028

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Two suggestions:

1. Sand and repaint (dye) the vinyl yourself. You will be amazed with the results and its very simple (see my Larson LXi resto).

2. I sent my sundeck "skin" to copycatcovers.com. It has three colors, pleated areas and gold welting. Total charge to construct a new one - $120.

Ben

perculator

Seaman

getting ready to tackle my upholstery myself...as well as the carpet and dash.
figuring i can get it done for under $500 (my wife is good at upholstery). there's lots of companies that will send you upholstery samples. pick one or two and go for it.
i'm figuring on a couple of sheets of plywood, couple 1x4, t-nuts/bolts, fabric and carpet........as well as dash panel, gauges, etc.
just started on mine last weekend.

July006.jpg

July007.jpg

July012.jpg

boatrestore030.jpg

boatrestore029.jpg

boatrestore032.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Check out that 70's vintage gold/glitter dash, yah baby!:D

perculator

Seaman

Check out that 70's vintage gold/glitter dash, yah baby!:D

yea, it's a 79 starcraft. love the boat but we're changing the interior.......probably to cream and a dark maroon. i was surprised how well the maroon goes with the yellow.
finding the carpet i want is tough though.

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On mine I am dumping the so called "lounge" seats..Never used them like that in 8 years..Never understood that concept...OK for a yaught....But on them you have alot of room for a lounge...NOT good for a 17' runabout...I am going with already built pedastle type seats (bass boat) and make the rest match.....Pete

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So, I went to Joann Fabric last night and checked out the fabric... $13 a yard.. Now i'm deffinatly considering doing it myself.. My mother in law knows how to sew pretty good, and when i told her how much i might have to spend for someone else to do it, she said she would help.

Now, I have a couple of questions..

1. I looked at the padding at Joann Fabric... All i could see for boats, was the white square pads. They weren't big enough to go all the way across the seats. They also had some bigger green pads that looked like what i needed, but they didn't say anything about boat use... So, what padding do i use?

2. What kind of needle and thread do i need to get for upholstrey?

3. I thought i read somewhere that you need to put plastic on the padding before covering?

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds high to me. I had the 3 seats in my Jeep reupholstered using a premium material that was 26 bucks a yard. They look like leather, feel like leather, and look way better than the OEM covers did new. It cost me 450 bucks.

Here is the material I used: http://www.denverfabrics.com/pages/static/vinyl/rave-ai.htm

You can get decent marine grade vinyl for about half that price or even cheaper if you catch in on sale at places like Joann Fabrics. I reupholstered my camper using their marine vinyl. With a 50% off coupon, it cost me 5 bucks a yard.

Attachments

• jeep seats sized.JPG
    jeep seats sized.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 0

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

I've never done it but am considering strongly doing the upholstry myself on my boat. Whats the worst that could happen, mess up something that already needs fixed or find out that its easier than I thought it could be and save $$$$$. Good luck at keep us posted:cool: tink

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hello there I just finished my boat last week is a 23 bowrider and I called about 6 differents people to check the ulphostery, what i need was right side panel, left side panel, front panel and rear panel and attach the captain chair to the left panel, everybody was asking 2400$ 2800$ I found a lady she told me 1800$ but I told her that I will take the panel out and bring it to her after I took out all the panel whe find out that two of the panels have pvc foam already and she would save money on material so went down to 1200$ and she did a great job you can see my resto here.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=352664

Status
Not open for further replies.