Cost of seat re-upholstrey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Cost of seat re-upholstrey?

So, i came up with an idea about my rear bench seat.... I am planning on ordering new bucket seats from Veada, so i thought about doing something like the picture i made, with the jump seats. That way, i will know that the material will be the same for all seats. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1
  • boat seat.jpg
    boat seat.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

check out my 'how-to' thread on cushions....regardless of the shape/size, the process is the same, just a little bit more elaborate...

just another 2 cents worth...

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Thought I'd go ahead and throw my own experience in here for other price comparison shoppers. Just today I dropped off 4 seat cushions from my 20 foot open bow Stingray for recovering.

This included all 3 seat cushions from the bow...two are rectangular side pieces and the third is a "C" shaped nose cushion. The 4th cushion is a the seat of the 6 foot long bench seat that goes across the back of the boat. All were dry-cracking and tearing at cosmetic seams.

Shop will re-use my wood and foam, they're just putting on new 1 color tan marine grade vinyl. But there is some decorative panel stitching on the surface that they'll be duplicating, especially on the C-shaped front cushion and the rear cushion that has 2 different foam densities they have to wrap. TOTAL PRICE QUOTE $280 for the 4 cushions: $60 for each front cushion, and $100 for the larger rear one. Labor and material included.

Frankly I found that low price difficult to turn down, and even more difficult to stomach trying to power thru doing it myself when these guys are pros...since I certainly would NOT be able to do the cosmetic stitching they say will be no problem for them to duplicate.
This same shop does many custom hot rods and I've seen their work, I have been referred to them by 3 different individuals who told me they do EXCELLENT work for LOW PRICES, so I too am expecting good quality and value.

I will try to remember to post a pic or two when I get them back, they said 1 to 2 weeks since they're a little backed up. In the meantime, if this is appropriate and helps other Indiana locals, I'll mention this place is Gibbs Auto Interiors in Westfield, Indiana. I know direct commercial links are often discouraged here, so just Google search their name and city and they'll pop right up on your screen if you want to see their website and phone number...

Dzrtcj7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just got a price from "the local" shop. They want $3500 for foam and vinyl on 2 buckets, bench, sun pad and 2 side panels. Frankly I'm disgusted. I'm going to look outside of the area where the shops don't have such a niche.

stealthdrummer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got a couple of quotes around the $900.00 mark for redoing the bow seating. The quote for the whole boat was an additional 3K. That did include completely building new seats.

Attachments

• bow seats full.jpg
    bow seats full.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 2

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

So, i came up with an idea about my rear bench seat.... I am planning on ordering new bucket seats from Veada, so i thought about doing something like the picture i made, with the jump seats. That way, i will know that the material will be the same for all seats. What do you guys think?

I did similar on my Sea Ray. I built a box the width of the boat that serves as the base for 3 fishing seats as well as storage, livewell, and battery compartment. The seats are 3 across at the back of the boat and they work fine.

stealthdrummer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I found a guy in Alton, IL ( close to Saint Louis) that was almost half the price of everyone else and does great work. If you need work and are close to Saint Louis, MIssouri call Dan's Upholstery in Alton, IL. You won't be sorry.:D

Juniinc

Petty Officer 1st Class

how much are those bucket seats? Druff.
They are pretty nice,,, are they high back? not too tall for your boat?
Currently I'm restoring my Four Winns cuddy,,,
I really wanted to put 2 nice helm seats at the front and possible lounge seatings. the cap chair being high as $400 a pop, plan has been changed now.
I picked up some vinyl at Joann with their 50% coupon.
Also found a guy who will re-upholster my rottted 2 pairs of back2back + 2 rear jump seats + 1/2" additional foam over the existing foam for $250.
Yup $250 for all 6 seats, that includes pick up & drop off

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i think its allmost time for a sub forum here.

the reason for the big price on the op's quote was for the two bucket seats. they can run around 400 a pop to re cover.

upholstery is huge dollars due to the cost of the materials....heck.....have you priced foam lately??:eek::eek:

if any body wants i can get really good grade marine vynal reg about 30 ish a yard for 5 bux a yard....most colors.

pm me for the link.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

I promised a pic...pic is attached. Picked them up from the shop today and I am very pleased. They did them a few days quicker than promised, price was exactly as quoted, and I was very happy with their quality, professionalism, and workmanship.

The pic represents $280 paid for labor & materials to recover all 4 of these cushions in new vinyl, they re-used my existing foam and wood.

Done by Gibbs Auto Interiors in Westfield, Indiana. I recommend them to others, and will use them again when I need to...

Attachments

• seats.jpg
    seats.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 3

jeepdoc

Cadet

Im an amature upholster let me tell you the time it takes to pattern the seats to fit the covers, and I invested close to 1000 in my machine to properly sew multi layers of vinyl. Not to mention you find rotted seat frames that need to be rebuilt. On an average a back to back seat set takes about 11hrs to complete now figure what you get paid at work an hour. Yeah it is alot thats how I got into doing it,started with a home machine did ok but could not sew a welt into it invested money into a industrial needle feed machine now can sew plywood if I want. Like I said Im no professional but lots of time goes into this art. The other thing is competeing with all the imported plastic framed garbage out there, some times customs costs money. example of my work

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1

MRCLEAN92626

Cadet

I see you live in IL, and since I live in CA this may or may not pertain to you. When I purchased my 18ft Bluewater Eagle, the interior was so so. The previous owner had a dog which chewed up the three front bow cushions, and the drivers seat, as well as the two rear jump seats near the engine, the engine cover, and the rear deck were all horribly sun damaged.

That being said, I quickly turned to my favorite site for used stuff...Craigslist.com, and found an out of work upholstery guy who was doing side work out of his garage. I took the boat to him, he pulled all of the cushions himself, and reupholstered a total of eight pieces for the small sum of $380.

In my honest opinion? See if you can find someone similar through your local classifieds before bringing to a shop. He did a fantastic job, and I plan to visit him again when the need arises for more repairs. He was honest, hard working, and timely.

Good luck with your search!

(Just to add, this included re-using the wood, but all new vinyl and foam throughout, fyi)

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

when i started my seats...my $89 Singer Sewing machine from wal-mart sewed through 7 layers of vinyl....

i'm not doing this as a business, so i couldn't see forking out a ton of money for a mchine that i was only making 15-20 cushions with....and if it breaks, comes with a 1 year warranty...i've done most of my cushions in about a month

you can see some photos, and now video, in my 'How I made my seats' thread in my signature

jeepdoc

Cadet

mrdjflores Oh I agree i would not recomend someone spending that kind of cash on an industrial machine. I started just like you did by the way nice job on the thread very informative. however I didnt stop there can say got hooked on it I just could not produce a quality top stitch with the machine I had. Ive been doing all kinds of custom work for people so for me a good investment. I guess I was trying to justify what upholsters charge for there services.

Flredman

Recruit
I'm also in the process of building my seats then taking them to get covered. I'm following thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.