Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
  • Dear Community Members,

Over the last two years, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability, performance, and security. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface and site performance have revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software our site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video, and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this user experience to all members. We will be updating to a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well and loads faster on all devices while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change. What’s next?

When will this be happening? The plan is to put our current forums into maintenance mode (off line) at around 9am MST on 9/30/2020! The whole transition should take 24-36 hours. We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Management

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cost of seat re-upholstrey?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of seat re-upholstrey?

Hey guys... Been a while since i've been on here.. I took my seats to a guy to get a price on getting them reupholstered. I have 2 bucket seats, a bench seat and back, and the sun deck. It will be 3 colors, and he said he would re use the foam, plus add another 1/2" of foam under the new material.
    He gave me a price of $1100. I was wondering if that sounds reasonable? I should add, that there are no cracks and or rips in the old seats, that's why he's said he could use the old foam. They just look old and worn out...
    Attached Files
    sigpic1995 Crownline CR 250
    7.4L, Bravo III

Re: Cost of seat re-upholstrey?

never go with the first estimate. I suggest you get another estimate from another shop. That does not mean the price is too high, it just means you will get a better idea of what it costs. You should also consider the reputation of the shop. Try to find a local car show. Talk to the participants at the show. They will know about every shop in the area.
    "Your results may vary"

Thundercraft in Progress
    https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=287390

Tri-hull Wiring
    https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=448376

Comment

That's funny,
      I have heard that same number twice today.
      We just back from a upholstery shop, we had 4 seat bottoms and the the sun deck and bench back. $1100. We are still looking at options.
      I agree with drewpster, get more estimates.
      Good luck
      Bob
      1988 Glasstream
      https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357690

Glasstream restoration
      http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/ae174/rhedden_2009/

Wood Working projects
      http://s969.photobucket.com/albums/a...ing%20Hobbies/

Comment

I think the key thing with upholstery & canvas shops is what they're using for materials. Call your local trusted marina and ask them whom they would recommend. Were as $1100 sounds like alot, it's not a bad price considering the contour of your seats, not to mention the tri color. I would consider that an average price actually. Spend the $ and do it right, then take care of it the best you can. The extra ching you spend now will more then make up for itself down the road.
        sigpic
        Ryan
        Sebago Lake...thats in Maine

Comment

I am kinda funny when it comes to something I want to make right. I just bought a 40 year old Schuster Tahiti that still needed some work.

Pulled the seated and found and vinyl wrap plywood was rotten on the bases. The seat bottoms were okay but what the heck...Make it right.

While I was at it I figured a new rear panel couldn't hurt to make it all right and new again.

I never even ask him for a price but I know it will be fair ad better than new.

As for the new seat covering, same deal. I picked the best person to do the job from a short list of old school rodders.....Haven't even asked him a price and I wont until he is done.

Spend an extra $100-200 and have the seats last and extra 5-7 years and still look great.

Just my 2cent worth.

Karsten

Comment

Looks like I have the same problem you do, same seats too!

I had an estimate of $750 to recover these, no new foam, no new wood, only one color, labor and vinyl only...

So, it sounds like your bid would be about on par with what I heard.

I won't be going that route as I can buy new for less than that or I may end up learning a new skill!

Have fun!
            1983 26' Starcraft Sportfisherman 261V Rebuild
            1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild - SOLD
            1984 16.5' Sea Nymph Ski Sport Rebuild
            1980 16' Sea Nymph SS 165 Rebuild (swapped)
            1968 15' Starcraft Jet Star Rebuild (sold)

115' of Beach on Lake Huron

Comment

This all sounds expensive to me....BUT are we not do it yourselfers?..At least give it a "college try"..Then if all else fails start checking on some "pro" to do it..I had "pros" work on my stuff before and my kids could have done better....I have done my own work on cars ,house and my boat and knew nothing about it..It 's forums like this and the internet are such VALUABLE resources and dont forget the old standby..BOOKS..Just my 2 cents....

Pete
              If we were not stubborn we would not be do it yourselfers

Comment

Originally posted by pete44 View Post
                This all sounds expensive to me....BUT are we not do it yourselfers?..At least give it a "college try"..Then if all else fails start checking on some "pro" to do it..I had "pros" work on my stuff before and my kids could have done better....I have done my own work on cars ,house and my boat and knew nothing about it..It 's forums like this and the internet are such VALUABLE resources and dont forget the old standby..BOOKS..Just my 2 cents....

Pete
                Yah, I am with ya Pete. I have been leaning towards picking up one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/Speedy-Stitche.../dp/B000FXT814

...and taking a run at it!

Comment

Cool Jas!

I just want to find a book on Upholstery..Found a couple,,Maybe Ebay...Maybe someone else will chime in on some resources..

Pete
                  If we were not stubborn we would not be do it yourselfers

Comment

Definatly conconsidering two new buckets as well... My wife was complaining that there is not enough padding on the ones we have...

http://veada.com/product/22_9-Helm-S...Helm-Seat.html

Jasoutside... Do the 3 colored pads in the middle of your seats just velcro in? That's how mine are, and I thought there should be a different way of doing it.
                    sigpic1995 Crownline CR 250
                    7.4L, Bravo III

Comment

Upholstery work is $$. I got estimates for some cushions I wanted redone and it blows my budget. I decided I will leanr to sew myself and have one of the seats done by someone in the know.
                      Old Boats: 1987 29' Cruisers Inc 297 Elegante. T/270 Crusaders. (SOLD)
                      1984 34' Silverton 34C. T/270 Crusaders. Westerbeke Gen:https://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...vy-534493.html
                      Current Boat: 1985 Regal 255XL. 260 Mercruiser.

Comment

Two suggestions:

1. Sand and repaint (dye) the vinyl yourself. You will be amazed with the results and its very simple (see my Larson LXi resto).

2. I sent my sundeck "skin" to copycatcovers.com. It has three colors, pleated areas and gold welting. Total charge to construct a new one - $120.

Ben

Comment

getting ready to tackle my upholstery myself...as well as the carpet and dash.
                          figuring i can get it done for under $500 (my wife is good at upholstery). there's lots of companies that will send you upholstery samples. pick one or two and go for it.
                          i'm figuring on a couple of sheets of plywood, couple 1x4, t-nuts/bolts, fabric and carpet........as well as dash panel, gauges, etc.
                          just started on mine last weekend.

Comment

Check out that 70's vintage gold/glitter dash, yah baby!

Comment

Originally posted by jasoutside View Post
                              Check out that 70's vintage gold/glitter dash, yah baby!
                              yea, it's a 79 starcraft. love the boat but we're changing the interior.......probably to cream and a dark maroon. i was surprised how well the maroon goes with the yellow.
                              finding the carpet i want is tough though.

Comment

Working...
                              X