Drain Plug - Inside or Out?

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer
Okay, this may be a dumb question or one that has been answered many times in the past....but is it okay for me to put the drain plug in from the outside of the boat? I have had three other boats in the past, and it was easy to put the plug in from the inside, but this Holiday that I have now is real tough. I have run the boat with the plug on the outside twice last summer, but I always have this fear in the back of my mind that the plug is gonna come out. I do keep a spare on board, but would rather not have to use it!

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Drain Plug - Inside or Out?

Plug on the outside is very common. Probably more so especially when size creeps up and you simply can't reach it.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I just go with whichever is easier.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

If your plug uses the flip down lever, make sure that the lever isn't pointed down and in the path of the water.

I have seen one get released by a stick (or something) that a customer's boat passed over. I prefer the plugs that use the T-handle that turn to tighten!

Happy boating!

robert graham

Admiral

My boat has a 2" drain plug and I put it on the inside, so if for any reason I taken on some water, like a heavy rain, and the bilge pump didn't work, then I can remove the plug from the inside while running at about 20MPH down the river and it will suck all that water out of the boat. This works well if you have some stinking water in your bilge, say from fish guts, dead rat, dead frogs, etc. And of course, the inside plug can't fall out and get lost. Good Luck!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it really depends on your set up. if you can get to it easily from inside, then do so. both ways are correct. i prefer the T twist type plugs.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

i use t type out side but as stated if you ever start flooding just get on plane and water will go out. aoutomatic sump is a plus as it will let you know before it is two late.

zach103

Commander

i use t type out side but as stated if you ever start flooding just get on plane and water will go out. aoutomatic sump is a plus as it will let you know before it is two late.

I DEFF AGREE.. get the auto float switch for sure and the t plug.. the t plug seems to fit a lot better than the flip handle one....

But get the float.. if you forget to put the plug in (common) you will know as soon as the boats in.. i did this once and i parked the truck and walked down and saw that the bilge pump was already running.. i knew exactly wat it was.. i cant get to it from the inside so i had to run back up and put the oat back on and throw the plug in..

scott11

Seaman

ive been wondering that too ever since i bought my boat. ive never had problems with it falling out and its just a lot easier to put in on the outside being the motor is in the way.

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

Okay, thanks all, I feel better! I currently have a flip handle plug, but will change to a twist plug. I do have a pump with an automatic float switch.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I run a t-handle on the outside and have a spare on a short piece of small chain laying in the bilge. If something happens and I loose the one on the outside I don't have to go swimming to avoid sinking. I also keep a spare in the emergency kit.

erikgreen

Captain

I'm installing mine (on a 22 footer) with the screw in brass plug on the outside and a rubber lever type on the inside of the tube that's kept nearby. If I need to plug the tube with it I can do it quickly, and then decide whether to pump out the water and go boating or pull the boat and put the brass plug back in.

I won't use the rubber or lever types on the outside since I have divers coming aboard there... using the plug as a foothold risks pulling it out and ripping up dive gear...

Erik

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, this may be a dumb question or one that has been answered many times in the past....but is it okay for me to put the drain plug in from the outside of the boat? I have had three other boats in the past, and it was easy to put the plug in from the inside, but this Holiday that I have now is real tough. I have run the boat with the plug on the outside twice last summer, but I always have this fear in the back of my mind that the plug is gonna come out. I do keep a spare on board, but would rather not have to use it!

So I have ALWAYS put the drain plug on the outside of the boat... But the boat we just bought has the plug tethered inconveniently to the inside. It's the latch style plug. 14 foot with 30 horse outboard. Any reason at all I can't start putting plug in from outside?