Deck scews, can I use coated deckmate screws?

bzajdek

Seaman
I know its recomended to use stainless screws, but could i get away with coated deckmate screws for pressure treated lumber or trex composite lumber they are guaranteed to life and they would be countersunk and filled then glassed over with epoxy resin and cloth?

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Deck scews, can I use coated deckmate screws?

i was wondering about them too! i looked at them in the big box stores.
i have a e-mail in to deckmate on the subject.

*EdC*

Deckmate screws are expensive... For what they cost, you might as well go stainless and never have to think about it again.....
Just my 02 cents worth :D

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Personally I just used drywall screws...

...zomg I didn't use stainless!?!?!?!?

I did the long process of overdrilling the screw holes in the stringers, filling them with epoxy, then predrilling for the screws again. The heads are countersunk on the deck, covered over with peanut butter, then the deck's glassed over. Not to mention the peanut butter I applied on top of the stringers before laying the deck down.

The deck and stringers are gonna be long rotten and gone before you'd have to worry about the screws not holding the deck down

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I used drywall screws to mate my transom boards as well as my stringer sections. As F14 said, as long as you seal them up, they won't rust. I also used deck screws to couple my deck to the stringers. I just dripped poly into the holes I predrilled and screwed them in before it set. They are now encased in poly surrounded by fiberglassed wood. If water hits the screws, I will be way more worried about the wood than a few screws. I say, don't stress about the screws and get the wood protected instead. After all, the early space shuttle capsule walls were only as thick as tinfoil and those guys survived space. Not everything must be awesome to work.

That said, if you can find SS screws for a decent price, all of this is moot.

MTribe08

Deckmate screws are expensive... For what they cost, you might as well go stainless and never have to think about it again.....
Just my 02 cents worth :D

Not my experience. Bought a box of Deckmates(100) for 8 bucks. The same sized stainless screw was nearly 50cents a piece.

jspano

i would think that on a fiberglass boat pre drilling and coating and sealing you could use just about any screw. you don't have that luxury on an alum boat

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I used ss on mine...but for laughs...the FW factory installed the deck with hundreds of nasty...rusty..staples...none sealed...deck not bonded to stringers...and that lasted probably 12 years or so before the rot started to get bad...I used a combination of 3M 4200 and the ss screws...then had a shop do the final 'glassing and gelcoat...it's gotta last longer than the crap job the factory did....staples...unsealed holes...carpet to hold moisture....

Just to show how GREAT it is to NOT have carpet...I have my boat covered now...just got 10 inches of snow on Fri...this is the 3rd major winter storm...I opened up the cover last weekend...everything is nice and dry...no moisture on the deck anywhere...when it had carpet...even after the whole winter...some areas NEVER dried out...because of the damp climate here....so I say...NO to carpet.!!! Yes gelcoat is hot in the summer but since we fish too we never get in the boat without sandals...boat shoes...etc....

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I used deckmate screws on my last project and my current one. No issues.

jspano

here's the response to my e-mail

Thank you for contacting us. Home Depot owns the name Deckmate and they now have different vendors supply the screws that are put in the box. Our screws have a patented combination drive of Phillips Square. We can only answer for our screw. If "tampabay" means Florida, then that is a star drive screw distributed by Primesource.

We probably would recommend stainless in this type of application. Many times in boating, the wood and projects are exposed to harsh cleaning chemicals as well as water and possibly saltwater. Our Deckmate screws (and any coated barrier screw) is only as good as its coating. All the above mentioned elements can do a number on even the best of coatings.
Once the coating is compromised, rust can start.

We hope you found this helpful. If we can be of any further service, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
Mary strycharz for
Phillips FAstener
1-888-332-6283

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

even so thats what im gonna use, the ones that were in my boat when i disassembled were almost 35 years old not stainless and still had a grab in the wood/glass even tho rusty and frail, now when im done if i get 15-20 years out of this little tub ill be happy