1972 Crestliner Stinger Rebuild

Tainted Halo

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all so after finding out what i got, i did a little poking and pulling even though the back end is still frozen solid.... i found that yes the first layer of wood was fine .... but under that .... it is well no so fine..... so im in to a rebuild... i have to do the stringers, the floor, carpet etc..... i have linked my pic page as for the pictures don't want to upload on here in a smaller size, sorry.... but i do have a few questions....

1. do i need to shore up the bottom of the boat if it's a 14'
2. can i leave the centre open like is for storage?
3. the foam under the bonet can that go?
4. the foam under the sides can that go?
5. does the floor need to be down before i pour in the closed cell foam?
6. can i make the floor out of fir rather then marine plywood that looks the same

this will give me a start i have more pulling and melting ( of ice yes im in Canada) so i will post some more pics as i roll along ... of how i did things and where i got things done....

oh ya just because im board and have a roll of it kicking around.... good or bad idea to make a mold of the top of the boat and redo the top in Carbon fibre to make it lighter and stroger? any ideas.

the boat is a 1972 Crestliner Stinger 440 built in KW Ontario model #64373

www.coroflot.com/saintk/a_boat_project_

Panther2006

Cadet
Re: 1972 Crestliner Stinger Rebuild

Looks has if you have a fine project there. Try to keep this thread updated. It will be fun to watch your progress. Good luck.

I also have a crestliner Im restoring. Cheers

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

1. do i need to shore up the bottom of the boat if it's a 14'
2. can i leave the centre open like is for storage?
3. the foam under the bonet can that go?
4. the foam under the sides can that go?
5. does the floor need to be down before i pour in the closed cell foam?
6. can i make the floor out of fir rather then marine plywood that looks the same

oh ya just because im board and have a roll of it kicking around.... good or bad idea to make a mold of the top of the boat and redo the top in Carbon fibre to make it lighter and stroger? any ideas.

1. You don't need to shore anything unless you pull the top of the boat off.
2. Yes you can use the bilge area for storage.
3/4. Get rid of the foam.
5. No
6. Yes. Resin coat the underside and edges. Glass mat on top.

Makes no sense to rebuild the top. Leave it. Unless you're a glutton for punishment.

Tainted Halo

Seaman Apprentice

thanks..... now if the snow would just let up so i can get the boat into the barn....... arg.......

Tainted Halo

Seaman Apprentice

so i have the following new questions regarding the boat...

It seems i need to re-do the transom so as opposed to re building in in laminated plywood i went through my old cases and i have a roll of Innegra with glass mix... i would have to find out what one it is but it's lighter and stronger would it hold up and could it be used for the transom....
I am in the process of buying a new put-put, I'm leaning towards the 40hp evinrude v-tech with remote and power tilt..... would this be to strong for the transome and i should stick with plywood?
So since i have a roll of this stuff could i make the stringers out of this as well and then just pop them in there? here is a link to some info regarding the newer product

http://www.innegrity.com/marine-composites.php

If not this then could i do the transom out of Carbon fibre as for i have a chit load of odds and ends would that hold up for stringers, and a transom?

Tainted Halo

Seaman Apprentice

okay so question everything is out..... and i mean everything.... but i have a little problem.... the two middle stringers a 10ft long.... and the two shorter ones are 8ft5" so that means i need to buy a 10ft long peice of plywood... but here in London the only one i have found is a fit without an outdoor rating and it 268 bucks... so can i use strips of Maple? and or Teak for the stringers?

fishrdan

Admiral

3/4. Get rid of the foam.

I wouldn't advise anyone getting rid of the foam without suggesting other means of flotation, 2" closed cell sheet home insulation (pink/blue), pool noodles, soda bottles capped off. Anything to keep the boat from sinking in the event it should fill with water.

Tainted Halo

Seaman Apprentice

once the new floor goes in i will be using 6lb foam for the floor..... once i take off the top have it carboned, and painted i will be putting 6 lb under there as well.... nothing thats on there right now is going to be missing it's just going to be better and stronger.

kbomb

Seaman

Looks like a fun project. I can tell you from experience that the boat is a lot of fun. You are the only other person that i've seen with the exact same model boat. Here's mine I bought last summer:

2010-03-27%2017.18.50.jpg

2010-03-27%2017.21.10.jpg

Stinger123

Recruit

Hey All, first time on the forums, I was searching google for any info I could find on the new boat I just bought and it lead me here, I am a first time boat owner and also bought a stinger. I grabbed it because I have spent about $1000 bucks on boat rentals for fishing trips this summer and figured I might as well pick something up, I grabbed my Stinger for $950, trailer and motor included and got to ride with the previous owner before hand and the motor seems really good. Now i have to go pay the taxes on the package and get the pleasure craft licence tranferred over. This inside could definitely use some work and the owner didn't even know the year. I plan to do some work on it but cant spend too much right now. Any advice on things to watch for would be appeciated as I am completely new to this. I attached a pick, if you know the year please let me know.

Attachments

• crestliner.jpg
    crestliner.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1

Tainted Halo

Seaman Apprentice

So after much work and effort ... a few mis haps broken fingers and back with my regular work the boat is done for now just so i can get her into the water... http://www.coroflot.com/saintk/a-little-boat-project/1 i was un able to load up the pics here.... so i have made a link to my two places i have posted the pictures... on Facebook look for Enima Designs in London. the folder is there i just can't link it here. sorry ....in the next few days i will post some night pics to show the lights..

Last edited: