mid sixties thornes rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

samboatman

Cadet
Hi Im new to this site. I have a 14'-7" Thornes aluminum made in the sixties. The boat sat for yrs upside down on a trailor. When I got it home, I scotch brited the entire boat and polished above the gunnels and a second polish on the hood...why, you ask, cause im laid off from the tool and die ind, so I have too much time on my hands...lol. I traded an old lawn tractor for the motor, which is a 67 40 hp. ski twin. I replaced the transon with 1 1/2 hardwood plywood which I painted 2-part epoxy, than painted once more and installed while wet, so it'll glue its self together. The dashboard is an aluminum checkerplate with new telflex steering and all the gauges. Currently, im working on the final wireing and ready to install a new windsheild, which is uv safe 3/8 tinted lexan.
Here are a few pics of my boat let me know what you think, I'll keep posting progress info and pics in the future
COME ON SUMMER!!!!!!!:):)
Sam
HOW DO I POST PICS???
THAT DROVE INSANE!!!!
I finally figured out how to go through picasa
Next step in the rebuild is electrical. I have most of tied up. The dash is done and tagged, I'll post more pics of that as soon as i install it again. Just waiting for 13' sterring cable...i hate those clothes line cables!!!!
I'm woundering how fast my boat could with a 65 40hp rude, prop looks good.
The boat measures 14'-7" shallow boat

Attachments

• HPIM1065.JPG
    HPIM1065.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 2
  • HPIM1027.JPG
    HPIM1027.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 2
  • HPIM1050.JPG
    HPIM1050.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 2
  • HPIM1063.JPG
    HPIM1063.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: mid sixties thornes rebuild

HOW DO I POST PICS???

Create and account on photobucket.com, upload your pics, resize them to 640x480, post them to here using the IMG code links.

Welcome to iboats!

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

On with the pics...

tallcanadian

Captain

There's Black Horse and Quidi Vidi Beer. Both are made here and both I will not drink. Your a better man than I am for drinking it. I'll stick to Molson Canadian thank you..LOL.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Neat looking boat! Would love for you to get those full-size pics up! Just use photobucket and change size to 640x480 (as ezmobee said) and use the full-size forum link code!
Also sounds like you did a fine job on the transom!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Trying to attach the pics using iboats is painful and as you can see, worthless. Just use photobucket.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome to iboats Sam:) Sounds like a neat old boat, and you've done well on her it seems. Some larger pics would be sweet, she will fly with a 40 I bet:D

samboatman

Cadet

Welcome to iboats Sam:) Sounds like a neat old boat, and you've done well on her it seems. Some larger pics would be sweet, she will fly with a 40 I bet:D
next bunch of pics i post, I'll try the photobucket. I have picasa, and i should be able to resize them...drivin me crazey...lmao

suzytb

Recruit

Yes for sure. Don't be shy for pics. We love pics.

Hi Sam...I stumbled across your note while looking for a Thornes boat...and you really have done a great job on the boat. If it is a Canadian 'Thornes" aluminum boat...then, fyi, the latest that it could have been made was 1959, when the company owner relocated to San Bernadino, California. He was my uncle(deceased) and we share the name...They are an excellent craft and work well on Lake Superior, as well as for fishing trips, with portages, almost anywhere.....Happy Boating!

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome! Looking good, can't wait to see pictures of the whole boat. I'm doing a similar project myself.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

This thread has been dead for 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.