1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Wow that's quite the teardown:)

Are those seat platforms aluminum? The gas tanks look like they are in decent shape possibly.

I hear ya on having the kids help...my 4-year-old was helping me a bit today.:D

He says he wants to go tubing and fishing this summer:cool:(last year we just went fishing)so I try to involve him as much as possible with the resto...so he can feel the same sense of accomplishment I hope to feel;)

Thanks Huron!
Nope, those platforms were steel, getting pretty rusty too. I'll likely not use those again - thinking glassed ply as a replacement at this point. Yup the tanks are looking good. I can see the manufacture date is 2000. I'll just need to figure out the best way to get all the old fuel cleaned out of em.

Yup, my little ones are right in there, shoulder to shoulder with me, screwdrivers and pliers in hand. Sure slowes me down but there is something much more important going on than just putting back together an old boat, eh;)

Cheers!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

It's embarrassing Jas, to admit I'm from Michigan, watching you work outside while I sit here and whine...Kudu's to you, your either much much younger than me{lol who isn't} or you've got skin of leather.

Oh yeah..if Ford = O/B put me down on that side of the list ;)

...or you are a much smarter man than I! (I was dropped as a baby many times)

OB, got it!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

How big would your splashwell be, if you went with an outboard? That picture of the factory outboard boat looked like the splashwell takes up as much (or more) room than the I/O. It's a cool boat no matter how you do it.

Yah, I wouldn't be building it quite so big/high if I decided to go that route. Something a little more like this:

dealersite_images_bayoutboardmarine.jpg

...only just a bit higher. The seats in the photo above fold down so you could actually stand on them if you wanted to. That has me thinking...

I am still way torn about how to power this thing. I am usually a pretty decisive dude but this has been super tough for me. I keep thinking that there probably isn't a wrong decision in the mix but there certainly must be one that is more right. Still working on it....

Cheers!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

So yesterday I pulled a bunch of stuff off the gunwales/rear deck (down rigger towers, steps, rod holders). I ended up having to grind off nearly all of the bolts as they were so rusted. I have a few more things that can work on and then I may end up simply waiting for the snow/ice to melt so I can get to the deck. Slow but sure!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

On another note...

I spoke to two more marine tech dudes and they both suggested the OB route without hesitating.

That brings the count to (again, just for fun):

IO = 7
OB = 13

At this point I have great leads on both an IO and an OB. This piece of the puzzle might just be a whole lot more clear in the not so distant future.

Cheers!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/1595896048.html

4.3 merc short block for $500, just wanted to see how it compares to your leads so far. Seems like a good deal and fairly new engine.

Course I don't know much about I/O's and I voted for OB's...

Thanks for looking out for me Huron! I have something brewing even as I write this. We'll see how things shake out!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I predict the brew results in ...........................................................................

Dual outboards:eek:

Did I guess, did I, hu did I,hu,hu????

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Dual outboards...
Ha, my budget scoffs at dual outboards!

OK, so I thought I had this nearly wrapped up. Well not so much.

I checked on a late model Merc 250 EFI Offshore at a dealership. Tech said that it was a repower deal, great shape and could run it for me so I went to check it out. I was thinking that since it was at a dealer they likely did the regular/routine maintenance to it when they pulled it off. It was out of my price range but I thought I might be able to beat him up a bit on price to make it work.

Checked it out. The power head had been rebuilt 3 times, the cover had a fair sized crack/chunk in it, they turned it over but weren't really interested in running it, no service done to it when they took it off (zebra mussels all into the mounting bracket), while they had done all the work to this motor since it was new they had no records of it (I thought dealers kept all this info), and he barely moved on price. It was a good motor, and probably ran fine, price was fair just more than what I could pay, reputable dealer too, but with all of the negatives put together I had to let it go. Tell ya what, with 250 ponies that thing would have pushed my 1500# tin boat along pretty well!!!

Next on deck, 21' Baja with a basically rebuilt (and properly winterized) 4.3 Merc/Alpha in great shape, for just the right price. Interior is rough but that isn't what I'm after, eh! Worked with the fella and all systems go! Er, maybe not so much. The "clear title" ended up having a lien on it and in talking with him apparently there were two other titles issued for a total of three titles for this boat. Also, on one of the titles, apparently one of his friends was listed as an owner. No registration on the trailer either. Yellow flags. Had to walk away.

He was not happy at all but I really didn't want to have this bite me in the rear on down the road! I am thinking that this is probably a free and clear boat but I am not willing to gamble a fist full of cash on it. He was pretty poed (so he may or may not try to get another title or want to work with me anymore) but I slept well.

It's all good - I still have plenty of time!!!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Dual outboards...
Ha, my budget scoffs at dual outboards!

OK, so I thought I had this nearly wrapped up. Well not so much.

I checked on a late model Merc 250 EFI Offshore at a dealership. Tech said that it was a repower deal, great shape and could run it for me so I went to check it out. I was thinking that since it was at a dealer they likely did the regular/routine maintenance to it when they pulled it off. It was out of my price range but I thought I might be able to beat him up a bit on price to make it work.

Checked it out. The power head had been rebuilt 3 times, the cover had a fair sized crack/chunk in it, they turned it over but weren't really interested in running it, no service done to it when they took it off (zebra mussels all into the mounting bracket), while they had done all the work to this motor since it was new they had no records of it (I thought dealers kept all this info), and he barely moved on price. It was a good motor, and probably ran fine, price was fair just more than what I could pay, reputable dealer too, but with all of the negatives put together I had to let it go. Tell ya what, with 250 ponies that thing would have pushed my 1500# tin boat along pretty well!!!

Next on deck, 21' Baja with a basically rebuilt (and properly winterized) 4.3 Merc/Alpha in great shape, for just the right price. Interior is rough but that isn't what I'm after, eh! Worked with the fella and all systems go! Er, maybe not so much. The "clear title" ended up having a lien on it and in talking with him apparently there were two other titles issued for a total of three titles for this boat. Also, on one of the titles, apparently one of his friends was listed as an owner. No registration on the trailer either. Yellow flags. Had to walk away.

He was not happy at all but I really didn't want to have this bite me in the rear on down the road! I am thinking that this is probably a free and clear boat but I am not willing to gamble a fist full of cash on it. He was pretty poed (so he may or may not try to get another title or want to work with me anymore) but I slept well.

It's all good - I still have plenty of time!!!
It's an omen that you need the outboards.... (whispering, nagging voice in the back of your head)..."I need the outboards... I need the outboards... I need the outboards..." :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

It's an omen that you need the outboards.... (whispering, nagging voice in the back of your head)..."I need the outboards... I need the outboards... I need the outboards..." :D

Is that what that is???? Huh!

Funny, I have that same whispering voice saying "I need pizza, pizza is good, yes pizza is in fact a food group, pizza is your friend..."

Wierd

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

STRIKE THAT! I NOW OWN A BAJA NAMED THUMPER!

Huron Angler

Admiral

STRIKE THAT! I NOW OWN A BAJA NAMED THUMPER!

Congrats:) Title in hand I'm assuming?

Bondo knows his I/O's and that's what he recommended so you have done well. You will be making your presence known over in the I/O forum now:D

Are you going to be parting out the Baja?

Good luck with the repowering!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Congrats:) Title in hand I'm assuming?

Bondo knows his I/O's and that's what he recommended so you have done well. You will be making your presence known over in the I/O forum now:D

Are you going to be parting out the Baja?

Good luck with the repowering!

Thanks Huron!

Yup, clean title and even trailer registration in hand! I got this whole rig for a song too!!! I pray that this motor is issue free! It is located at the marina that did all the work to it and the marina owner and tech that did the work says that it's a beaut and all is good!

Part it out? What a great question!

Here are my thoughts...

Pilfer the Merc and Alpha and install in the Islander (simple as that right, ha). Steal whatever else I can including those seats which I think would go quite well as helm seats in the Islander once recovered. Make whatever modifications necessary to use this trailer for the Islander (if it fits, I think it will). Sell the rest of the parts and scrap what I don't sell.

OR

Wait till about mid summer and put this boat up for sale. I did just a bit of looking and see that these Baja's bring a hefty $$$. WAY more than what I paid. Take the cash and buy a real nice, late model, 150 - 200 Merc/Rude/John.

Time will tell, eh!

Come on summer!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

You are just a busy little beaver aren't you? I wish I could say the same. I'll try for a title next week on mine, again. Until I get that cleared up I'm not doing anything.

My posse (brother and a fishing buddy/auto mechanic) won't let me pull the 3.0 mercruiser out and rebuild it anyway. They want me to wait until it gets warm enough to run it, and then do an evaluation. I bough a leakdown tester at Harbor Freight and everything.:(

I did get permission to pull the horn off and restore it. It looks original:D. Come on spring.

I totally approve of the 4.3 mercruiser. Awesome find, don't get attached to the baja. There's only one way out of Starcraft Nation....................:eek:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You are just a busy little beaver aren't you? I wish I could say the same. I'll try for a title next week on mine, again. Until I get that cleared up I'm not doing anything.

My posse (brother and a fishing buddy/auto mechanic) won't let me pull the 3.0 mercruiser out and rebuild it anyway. They want me to wait until it gets warm enough to run it, and then do an evaluation. I bough a leakdown tester at Harbor Freight and everything.:(

I did get permission to pull the horn off and restore it. It looks original:D. Come on spring.

I totally approve of the 4.3 mercruiser. Awesome find, don't get attached to the baja. There's only one way out of Starcraft Nation....................:eek:

Dude, you still don't have that title! Arrrggggg. I was thinking about you when I was working with this fella on the Baja title. I really didn't want to play that game.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Nope, no title:(. The lady I bought it from can not find the title and has no idea whom her Dad bought it from. She did send me a letter from her probate lawyer that is notarized with all the details in it. Which is no better than the bill of sale I got on day one.

I will try next week at a SOS other than Mt. Clemens, which is the least helpful SOS around. I heard this from a State of Michigan employee.

I'll start a resto thread as soon as I get a title. I will do a full resto, oh yes I will. It may not be this year, I'll probably just repair and fish, and fish, and fish.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

So, I did check of Thumpers glove box and found a fist full of receipts. My quick and rough calculations put the previous owner about $4 or $5 K into this motor over the past few years:eek::eek: