Ensign
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

It's only money.:D

That's what I keep telling myself!

Albert

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Ya, you and Huron are killen me! I'm a PoBoy!

I am just going to pretend that a 150 and a 15 counts as dual, eh!

Cheers!
Hey, the way to justify it is to just say that a decent pair of used twins is the same price as a new single! :D

North Beach

Commander

I think most of this vote thing is kinda like Ford VS Dodge if you know what I mean.

Most of the late 60's/early 70's starcrafts came with either option and most were the same hull configuration. I don't know what effect the outboard bracket will have.

My boat had an I/O and that's still in there. The second boat that I'm trying to get started on is an OB model and that's what I'm goin with. The OB scares me about as much now as the I/O did when I first started playing with the first boat. Basically because I knew nothing about it. I guess I'll just have to school myself.

I think you should go the way you want to go.

And don't pay any attention to E-Geez, the guy put pool noodles in his boat :p:p

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Put me down for the 4.3, second (distantly) I would rebuild what came with it.

Good luck with whatever you decide. O yea, I got a secret message from the club:eek:. Seems there is only one way out of it:p. I've been informed this is a club and not a cult......at all. Like I ever want to leave, shees.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You MI guys should consider joining us at TinStock even without boats. Gosh knows we'll have plenty of passenger space for you. Huron Angler is making the trip! You should seriously consider it, we have a good group signed up and it's going to be a great time.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I think most of this vote thing is kinda like Ford VS Dodge if you know what I mean.

Most of the late 60's/early 70's starcrafts came with either option and most were the same hull configuration. I don't know what effect the outboard bracket will have.

My boat had an I/O and that's still in there. The second boat that I'm trying to get started on is an OB model and that's what I'm goin with. The OB scares me about as much now as the I/O did when I first started playing with the first boat. Basically because I knew nothing about it. I guess I'll just have to school myself.

I think you should go the way you want to go.

And don't pay any attention to E-Geez, the guy put pool noodles in his boat :p:p

Yah, I definitely agree with you on the IO v. OB discussion being like a Ford v. Chevy thing (Dodge really shouldn't even be in the mix).

BUT, changing this stringer over to, well anything else really (IO, OB, OB on Bracket), is a whole additional can of worms! I was checking out how big that hole was today! Do you guys realize that I can actually fit my whole body through that thing! Yah, I actually tried it. Seems like this job is way more than simply dropping in a new Merc IO or bolting on a new 150 OB.

So, that was why I was thinking out loud to you fellas. I appreciate your opinions! I know, opinions are like armpits. I just want to be sure I have plenty of info to make an intelligent decision in the end!

Yah, EZ - what a wierdo! Noodles in his boat, man alive.

Pssst, hey, EZ - where did you find those noodles for $.70?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You MI guys should consider joining us at TinStock even without boats. Gosh knows we'll have plenty of passenger space for you. Huron Angler is making the trip! You should seriously consider it, we have a good group signed up and it's going to be a great time.

Not in the cards for me this summer. Is there talk of TS 2011 floating around (pun, sorry). That might be a good motivator for me!

Cheers!

North Beach

Commander

Yeah the hole for a Mercruiser would deff be much smaller than the half your stern hole you have now. Maybe you could inside plate it and change over to the mercruiser. you'll have to plug that hole if you do an OB conversion.

And I'm sure we'll do an annual tinstock to give everyone a chance to come and rub elbows :)

jcupo6

Chief Petty Officer

I was in the same "boat" :) as you in the fall!
I bought an old 22' Holiday with a 140 Mercruiser over the summer. Turns out the motor in it was shot, so I was considering the same thing. I was told that I would hate the I/O and should convert. Well, after weeks of debating and researching I decided to stick with the I/O. There were tons available around me, and I was able to pickup a newly rebuilt 120hp for 300 bucks including newer trim cylinders.

They are easy to work on, reliable and parts are all over the place. I am sooo happy I decided to keep the I/O, and I would recomend that you do the same. Put me down for the 4.3!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I was in the same "boat" :) as you in the fall!
I bought an old 22' Holiday with a 140 Mercruiser over the summer. Turns out the motor in it was shot, so I was considering the same thing. I was told that I would hate the I/O and should convert. Well, after weeks of debating and researching I decided to stick with the I/O. There were tons available around me, and I was able to pickup a newly rebuilt 120hp for 300 bucks including newer trim cylinders.

They are easy to work on, reliable and parts are all over the place. I am sooo happy I decided to keep the I/O, and I would recomend that you do the same. Put me down for the 4.3!

Well, to be sure...

If my boat would have came with a Merc IO there would have been no question about it - I would have definitely stayed with it as the transom cut and mounting bolt pattern would simply accept a new Merc (or I would have just got running what was in there). But, because I have to COMPLETELY rebuild the transom and the old OMC was a different setup than what a Merc is, I am having to start entirely from scratch. Which is why I have all of the problems I do - or opportunities depending on how ya see things, eh!

Man, I love your Holiday!! Awesome boat!!!:D:D

Cheers!

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

"Yah, I definitely agree with you on the IO v. OB discussion being like a Ford v. Chevy thing (Dodge really shouldn't even be in the mix)."

Oh no! I know you just didn't say that!

Not only do you have to plug it but you have to build it up to 1.5" to 2.25" thickness that is not there now. The OMC transom doesn't support Merc set up. The OMC isn't all that bad. You would have just as much trouble trying to support a 20 year old OB too for parts. I have a Stringer outdrive coming for my boat this week that only had 200 hours since new on it. The smaller engine/HP OMC parts are more readily available than the 800 series for the V8 applications. Just start looking around for parts for what you have and you'll be surprised at whats available. Your engine would be really easy to overhaul and you would know what you have is reliable for many years to come.

5 speed "Hemi"

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You would have just as much trouble trying to support a 20 year old OB too for parts.

Sorry but that bit just isn't true. I could still order just about every nut, bolt and screw for my '73 Johnson 85.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

"Yah, I definitely agree with you on the IO v. OB discussion being like a Ford v. Chevy thing (Dodge really shouldn't even be in the mix)."

Oh no! I know you just didn't say that!

Not only do you have to plug it but you have to build it up to 1.5" to 2.25" thickness that is not there now. The OMC transom doesn't support Merc set up.

Whoops, a Dodge guy, sorry man!

Yup, I'll need to rebuild the WHOLE transom any way I go except OMC Stringer, and, I have already decided against that one.

Cheers!

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry but that bit just isn't true. I could still order just about every nut, bolt and screw for my '73 Johnson 85.

Well that wasn't the case for my 115 Johnson. The powerpack was obsolete as was the ignition and charging system. I haven't had any difficulty finding parts for my Stringer. You can't compare working on an I/O to a OB. The Inboard portion is just like a automobile and the OB is a compact nightmare and being such, is expensive to buy parts for. Just my 2 cents worth... been there done that.

5 speed

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Just a quick update...

I have been combining "daddy on duty" and boat restoration. I get my 3 offspring all bundled up to go outside play (which is quite the process) in an effort to give my bride a break.

Once we are out they almost always ask to "go look at the boat!" So we head over and that Islander ends up being sort of a playhouse sort of a thing for them. They run around, pretend to be fishing, try to find squeeker the mouse, stuff like that. It's not as if they can break anything, really. My son Ryan, 3, is always right next to me learning and ready to help! He's awesome.

While they are playing and running around in there, I just sort of pick away at it. I can only do a little at a time while I am watching them, but, that is what I have to work with, eh! All in all, mom gets a break, kids have fun/learn stuff/burn off energy, and I get to work on the old Islander - not too shabby.

So far I have taken the cabin door off, taken all of the wiring/gas lines/cables out (except the helm stuff), removed the seat pedestals, got the dog house out (suprisingly heavy), pulled a bunch of stuff off of the gunwales/transom, FF brackets out, pulled out all the cabin cushions, and started to remove the old seating platforms. It's a slow process but I love hanging out with the little ones while I am working on it!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

FORWARD MOTION...

P1000828.jpg

P1000829.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Pulled out the seat platforms and the foam from behind the side panels...
P1000826.jpg

Out came the steering console...
P1000827.jpg

Side panels out...
P1000825.jpg

Twin 17 gal fuel tanks...
P1000824.jpg

Cabin panels out...
P1000831.jpg

...and a shot minus the cabin panels, minus fuel tanks, minus seat platforms, minus steering console and vinyl pulled off the hull walls...
P1000830.jpg

Not a bad day today considering it was about 25 degrees, I only had a couple of hours, and I was watching three little ones while mommy was gone for the day.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Wow that's quite the teardown:)

Are those seat platforms aluminum? The gas tanks look like they are in decent shape possibly.

I hear ya on having the kids help...my 4-year-old was helping me a bit today.:D

He says he wants to go tubing and fishing this summer:cool:(last year we just went fishing)so I try to involve him as much as possible with the resto...so he can feel the same sense of accomplishment I hope to feel;)

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

It's embarrassing Jas, to admit I'm from Michigan, watching you work outside while I sit here and whine...Kudu's to you, your either much much younger than me{lol who isn't} or you've got skin of leather.

Oh yeah..if Ford = O/B put me down on that side of the list ;)

wilkboater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How big would your splashwell be, if you went with an outboard? That picture of the factory outboard boat looked like the splashwell takes up as much (or more) room than the I/O. It's a cool boat no matter how you do it.