Commander
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

I just saw a 65 or maybe it was a 64 for sale in the NE CL for less that 2k:D

Come on over to the dark side luke:p

We dont need no steenkin cabin!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I think the cabin is cool. Keep the cabin. Your future SS will serve your open-bow needs.

Well, It'd still be a closed bow. I'd be just taking the cabin/window section off and then mounting the windshield forward. You are right though, my future 16' SS will sure fill a big gap for me!

Have you measured to see if the windshield will fit?:eek:

I took some rough measurements and it looks like it would work! If not I could always add alum to the gunwales to make them bigger to accommodate the windshield.

NOOOOOOO!! Don't do it!!

In the northern climes where we live, you're gonna want that cabin when you're out with the wife and kids and crappy weather rolls in or when someone needs to get in out of the sun.

Get the extra deck space from your second boat.

Yah, you are right about that. Seems like I was halloring at you about that at one point wasn't I????

I will for sure need to get a canvas topper made, well, pretty much either way I go. That will help.

If you count the area above the cabin and the bow as deck space then you will find that you come out ahead with your multilevel layout.:)

Seriously, once she's anchored(preferably above a school of yellow perch) the kids can cast lines off the bow and leave you plenty of room back at the helm:D

Then when it rains everyone will be glad you had the foresight to purchase a rig suited for northern climes.

(or do you just want a boat like the Liquid Limo?)

Yah, yur prolly right about that stuff Mike.

I just saw a 65 or maybe it was a 64 for sale in the NE CL for less that 2k

Come on over to the dark side luke:p

We dont need no steenkin cabin!

Well here is the thing guys, I don't know if I am on to something or just haven't been getting enough sleep lately. And, well, I also, maybe, just maybe trying to justify a big rig down the road.

Check it out...

Let's just say I take that cabin off of there, move the wind shield forward. Essentially I have lost cabin space but gained all that on the deck. I kinda think I like that! What would I use the cabin for? Oh, probably storing stuff for the most part (PFD's, tackle, packs, jackets...). The kidos would like to run around in there just cause it's be fun for sure. Probably not much more. I think any time we'd be camping we'd have camp on land. Any time nasty weather would be rolling in we'd be rolling out (many years as an open water sea kayaker has taught me about weather patterns). This would be as much as a fishing rig as it would be a family cruiser or a tubing/skiing boat. The extra deck space would be really cool for that stuff.

Now here is the other thing....

If I keep it as is, that is all good. However, I might be limited to a 2 boat plan: 22' Islander and a 16' SS/CC.

But, if I take it off than surely I need a big cabin type rig, right??? You know, for big fishing excursions when the boys get older (I'm thinking Isle Royal/Lake Superior). Ahhhh, there we have a 3 boat plan!

22' Islander turned Sunchief/Holiday for all around fun and fishing

16' SS/CC for the smaller lakes and river fishing - I am thinking I should be able find this boat within the next year or less.

26' Islander/Chieftain for the big fishing/camping excursions - my boys are still pretty little so this would be a ways out, long term purchase.

Oh, I don't know. Maybe I am thinking too much. Maybe I really just need to get some more sleep. A steak dinner would be great too! Or, maybe I need to cut the top off:eek:

I know you guys probably think I took in too much fumes while I was painting the other day:D

Triton II

Commander

22' Islander turned Sunchief/Holiday for all around fun and fishing

16' SS/CC for the smaller lakes and river fishing - I am thinking I should be able find this boat within the next year or less.

26' Islander/Chieftain for the big fishing/camping excursions - my boys are still pretty little so this would be a ways out, long term purchase.

I know you guys probably think I took in too much fumes while I was painting the other day:D

Jas, while the kids are little they'll really appreciate the 22 Islander's cabin - my boys all treated the cabin as "their place" in my first little 16ft cuddy. Apart from waiting a while, it's a great plan... I'll get off the fumes now! :cool:

TII

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Jas, while the kids are little they'll really appreciate the 22 Islander's cabin - my boys all treated the cabin as "their place" in my first little 16ft cuddy. Apart from waiting a while, it's a great plan... I'll get off the fumes now! :cool:

TII

TII, you have it buddy! You hit it right on the head! My offspring love hanging out in there already and it's dirty/unfinished. You are right, it will be "their place". The rest doesn't really matter I suppose.

I hate to admit it but the Aussie is one smart fellow, even though he is from the other side of the planet.

Cabin stays. End of story. Thanks TII!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Since this is quality yet budget restore, it's not like you'd lose you shirt selling it for a bigger rig at some point in the future. Keep the cabin, your kids will love it. Plus I think it would kinda cool to have one sometimes.

sprintst

Commander

You can get hammered and sleep it off in there too :)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Since this is quality yet budget restore, it's not like you'd lose you shirt selling it for a bigger rig at some point in the future. Keep the cabin, your kids will love it. Plus I think it would kinda cool to have one sometimes.

Yah I considered that too EZ but you see it didn't even make it as one of my options. I don't think I can sell her. After all we have been through together (and have yet to go through) I just don't see myself doing it ya know? You are right, kids will dig it. I know you are thinking removable casting deck - how about removable cabin roof too??:D Wouldn't that look totally ridiculous!

IO LOVER!

(isn't it great when things resort to grade school name calling, it's my favorite)

You rock NB!

You can get hammered and sleep it off in there too

Well, I gave up the getting hammered part a long time ago - super good decision in my world. Firewater and I were a scary combo:eek::eek:

But I'll tell you what...

When I was working on those cabin stringers the other day, laying on those cushions, they are super comfortable! Thick! Soft! Plenty of room in there! That will be awesome to take an afternoon siesta, out of the sun, after a hard day of being skunked!

Trust a Canuck to come up with that reason!

TII

Yah, Aussies and Canucks, take the good with the bad I spose. :eek::D

Cheers guys!

dozerII

Admiral

Come on now Jason, you know deep down inside it is not right to take an old girls top off in public. lol Isnt it amasing what our mind do to us once we are under the spell of the aluminum. So many ideas we have to sort through and decide which is right. But I like the idea of just adding boats till we use them all.
Glen

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Isnt it amasing what our mind do to us once we are under the spell of the aluminum.

Yah, seems like I's always stewing on what to do with this boat or ones yet to bake their way to my shop!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK guys, I need to fess up on something...

I cheated!!!

I didn't even monkey with that sandblaster, took it right back to HF. I know my compressor is too small.

I turned around and gave the hundred I got back on it to a local farmer who does some welding/fab work on the side and he blasted that trailer super clean!

Check it out...
P1030348.jpg

I also gave him a little extra to do some welding on it to beef up some areas that I wasn't feeling real good about.

I hauled it over to his farm on Tuesday night. We talked over the job, he said he should finish it in two days. Called me the next morning, done! Wow, fast! He did a great job too!

So, last night I had just enough light to get a coat of primer on...
P1030352.jpg

Tonight I had just enough light to get a top coat on...
P1030353.jpg

I should be able to put down two more coats tomorrow.

You guys know how hard I work to pinch the pennies. I was thinking that I'd be wrecked with guilt forking that cash over to get that done. But, you know what, I'd do it again in a half a second! That was well worth it and really the only sure way to clean out all the rust from the tight spots. I hate spending money but I am feeling darn good how this went!

I cheated just a little but I'll get over it pretty quick!

And don't get me wrong, I was really enjoying all that wire wheeling (few of those wires stuck in my face too)...
P1030307.jpg

So far I have thrown away two tshirts but my Carhartts will be ok for another few months.

Cheers guys!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I've wire wheeled a whole trailer. It sucked. That was money well spent.

Triton II

Commander

And don't get me wrong, I was really enjoying all that wire wheeling (few of those wires stuck in my face too)...

Geez, Jas, next you'll be going to the beauty parlour for manicures! :D

TII

ben2go

Chief Petty Officer

You needed the twisted or braided wire wheels.