1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Nice boat man, never sell toys, unless it is to purchase other toys. Like others have said, for what it is actually worth, you will never locate and find another for that $$. Any corrosion issues??? Probably not considering it has prob never seen the salt.

Ebay is a really good place to sell that outdrive. I sold a newer OMC drive in a week for all of the right money. Put it on pallet, brought to UPS cost $100.00 to ship to Cali from CT.

Chad

Thanks Chad!

Yup, as soon as I put the wrench to the outdrive I decided that she'll stay, I'm committed to her now!

I haven't seen any sign of corrosion but the story will unfold once I get everything out (deck, transom).

Yup, I was thinking eBay in the spring when everybody starts getting their boats ready for summer fun.

Cheers!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Glad to hear you are getting attached to the big old girl:)

BTW what is that piece of PVC for that is attached to the starboard transom?

I've racked my brain and can't imagine what that thing was designed to do:confused: (it seems to be a bit too horizontal to be a pole holder:p)

If you haven't already...make sure the bow is up(looks like it is in the photo) and the drain out with this thaw we're having(45 degrees here), check the drain plug for ice periodically to make sure no ice dam forms down there and wreaks havoc on the rivets/seams.

That new cover looks pretty good to keep her dry but you could have ice in there melting underneath.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Glad to hear you are getting attached to the big old girl:)

BTW what is that piece of PVC for that is attached to the starboard transom?

I've racked my brain and can't imagine what that thing was designed to do:confused: (it seems to be a bit too horizontal to be a pole holder:p)

If you haven't already...make sure the bow is up(looks like it is in the photo) and the drain out with this thaw we're having(45 degrees here), check the drain plug for ice periodically to make sure no ice dam forms down there and wreaks havoc on the rivets/seams.

That new cover looks pretty good to keep her dry but you could have ice in there melting underneath.

That boat and I have only been together now for a few weeks but I think I am falling for her.

Yup, that PVC was one of those items that had no business being there. Maybe I'll put that up on eBay too - call it some sort of "Starcraft Vintage PVC Specialty Stern Equalizer" with a Buy It Now Price of $350 (free shipping of course). Hey, I have to fund that outboard somehow!

Yah, I cranked up the jack as high as it would go. I might go out and put a few bricks under the jack just to get it up just a bit more. I have checked on our warmer days (including today) and there is a fairly steady stream coming out of there, cool! I have been sticking my finger in there pulling out leaves and debris to help things along too.

Now that the outdrive and boot is off I can actually see the lower part of the transom board. It's not good - looks like it wasn't sealed off after the hole was cut. No matter, it was all going to come out anyway.

Cheers!

fshngho

Lieutenant

Dog gone it JA. don't scare me like that. I'm glad your going to keep her. Heck, I had mine for 4-5 yrs before I started doing something. I thought about selling it but THEN I found you guys...and I seen da light! :DThe great thing about the whole project is its done on YOUR time, when you want, how you want, and as you can afford. Its aluminum, it wont rust away and your going to replace wood anyway. For what its worth, I like OB's too. Really never owned an IB, but friends have and I've never been impressed.:confused: And to think I was the only one that heard his boat talk to him:eek: Dale

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Dog gone it JA. don't scare me like that. I'm glad your going to keep her. Heck, I had mine for 4-5 yrs before I started doing something. I thought about selling it but THEN I found you guys...and I seen da light! :DThe great thing about the whole project is its done on YOUR time, when you want, how you want, and as you can afford. Its aluminum, it wont rust away and your going to replace wood anyway. For what its worth, I like OB's too. Really never owned an IB, but friends have and I've never been impressed.:confused: And to think I was the only one that heard his boat talk to him:eek: Dale

Well, like a couple of the other fellas have said - for what I paid for the boat it really wouldn't make a lot of sense to sell and then try to find another a few years down the road. That is just good thinking, thanks guys.

The other thing that helps with this big honkin project is this forum! It's pretty cool to see all these guys putting these old hunks of tin back together. Great motivation!

It's going to take me a good while for me to work through this Islander, hope yall will hang with me.

So Dale, your boat talks to you too?? That is pretty cool!:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK guys, I?d like to talk this through with you if that is all right.

Let?s pretend for a minute that we are standing around looking at the butt of this old Islander?

P1000767.jpg

And, while we are at it, let?s pretend that it?s a whole lot warmer out too, say 72 and sunny.

I am going to bounce my thoughts off you about how to power her and I am interested in your reaction, K?

Grab a cup of coffee or an adult beverage and read on?

Or, bail now before it's too late...

Here are my options as I see them (in no particular order):

Option #1
As I mentioned before, I have a line on a sacrificial boat that has a 4.3 Merc with Alpha drive in excellent condition. The marine dealer went through the whole motor, the owner ran it a few times, winterized it and then let it sit for about two years. The process for me, as I see it, would be to rebuild the transom and install the new power plant. I?d take it over to a local weld/fab shop (they are awesome) to have the hole welded up and then I?d finish up all the transom boards to prep for the new install. I have a marine engine guy that is very well regarded that could do the install for me. I don?t feel entirely confident that I alone could do this install correctly, unfortunately. I have done a ton of reading and research (manuals included) on how to install this motor/outdrive and I feel like I have the concept pretty well (x dimention, Merc template cut, alignment?). But, I can also see that there would be many opportunities for me to take a wrong turn, end up over my head, and screw up the whole rig. So, I feel better knowing that it would be done right by taking it in, and having the pro do it. My marine engine guy said he could do the install for about $1000, maybe a little as $800 since this is coming with all of the important stuff (controls, wires, all that). For me, I know that Murphy would show up so I?d budget for $1500 to have it installed. So, I am thinking that I would have about a $3000, bill give or take, when all is said and done for this power option.

I like this option for a few reasons. First, it keeps with the original intent and lines of the boat. Second, this Merc 4.3 with Alpha is certainly a proven design, parts are easily available and I?d likely learn how to complete all of the regular maintenance stuff in an effort to minimize my long term costs. Third, working around the outdrive while fishing is no biggie. Fourth, trolling all day long is cake for this setup and it?s fairly quiet too.

I don?t like this option for a few reasons. First, I know the long term maintenance costs are a bit more by comparison to an outboard. Second, that doghouse takes up, what might otherwise be, some very nice room in the boat to fight that 40# king (yah right, in my dreams). Third, it seems like there is an opportunity for about twice as many things to go wrong with having a motor, intermediate drive, outdrive, and so on. Fourth, fuel consumption, a bit much by comparison, but no biggie.

Option #2
Outboard on a bracket. Here I am again, sealing up the transom. Same as before only I?d also be adding some knee braces to the stringers and maybe some braceing from the transom to the gunnels too.

Here is the visual for ya?

PICT0234.jpg

For you MI guys this is Mike Avery?s (Outdoor Magazine) boat. Sweet eh! Yah, I don't have that much $$$. Here are his comments on it:

http://outdoormagazine.tv/blog/?tag=starcraft-islander-boat-mercury-marine

I have been looking far and wide for a bracket and have found some reasonable prices out there. I am thinking that I can work this out for around the $3000 mark (not including the kicker obviously), so long as I can find a good deal on a 150 Merc/Johnson/Evinrude. Maybe more if I want to splurge on a sweet motor, maybe less if I can find a used bracket that will work for me.

One of the things I like about this option is that I have all that extra space in the boat!! That would be great! I also like I can probably do all the necessary work to make this happen (aside from welding the hole up). I might struggle with some of the OB connections but I think I could seek help with that from the fine gents around here. I like the maintenance aspect of the outboard v. IO. I am intrigued about the performance with the bracket, but honestly, this is a fishing boat so I don?t particularly care about top speed, hole shot, stuff like that. I do care about how it will handle waves/chop and such. It?s reported to run as if it?s 2? longer, that is cool. I also like having the option down the road to go with something real nice like an E-Tec or a 4 stroke when I actually have some pocket change.

One of the things I don?t like about this option would be having to work around the outboard and platform with fishing lines and downriggers. I think I could used to that though. I also don't necessarily like the lines it brings to the boat. The boat being the age that it is has sort of an aged look and I sort of feel the bracket goes against that, no real biggie though.

Option #3
Cut into the transom and bolt on the outboard. So again, I?d be closing things up, rebuilding the transom, adding braces, so that part is essentially the same. Here is where things get tricky. It is very important to me that this would come out right and changing the back end around from a stern deck to a splashwell would be a tall order. I can certainly hack into it and throw in some sort of well but that is no good. I have no interest in cobbling things together.

Here is what I am thinking:

dealersite_images_bayoutboardmarine.jpg

This is a shot of a Superfisherman, nice boat eh! I?d prolly bring the splashwell up higher than what this has but you get the idea. I am having a hard time figuring out how to finish off the gunnels where they come into the transom, to make it look correct and complete. See, I have this raised part on my transom deck along with the aluminum cap that I need to deal with:

P1000771.jpg

Putting this all together and making it look right will certainly stretch my skills especially given that I have no metal bending ability. I could certainly pay somebody to make this happen but It would be in the $1200 range, so I'll pass on that.

While I?d certainly have a few bucks into the materials that would make up the splashwell area I am thinking that it shouldn?t be more than around $300ish, give or take. So, basically the cost of the motor, plus splashwell materials.

I like this option as it stays with an outboard and it keeps with lines and more traditional look of the rig. I also like this option because while I lose a little bit of room with the splashwell, I gain the space of the doghouse being out of there as well as the free space of where the bracket/motor would be. I also like this option as it may be the least expensive by comparison. Or, I could spend what I?d save on a nice kicker or what have you. More headache, more struggle, less $$.

The reason I don?t like this option is that I am sure that it will be tough for me to get it to look right. I?d never go down this road unless I knew I could do it, for sure, ahead of time - I would be totally committed as soon as I start cutting that transom out. I don?t mind spending the necessary time to wrestle through it as long as it comes out functional and purdy.

Option #4
Bolt on a pair of oar locks and buy some great big oars.

Advantages and disadvantages should be fairly straight forward here.

OK, holy smokes, I can?t believe that you read that whole thing. Thanks!

While it isn't absolutely critical that I make this decision right now I think it will be real nice to know what direction I am headed. Plus, the boat is in the freezer with no heated pole barn in sight - all I can do is think about this kind of stuff.

So, what would you do? What might you recommend?

Give up and throw it away now, before it's too late! Go buy a new one, you say? Nah, she stays!

I appreciate your comments and thank you in advance.

Cheers!:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

All three seem like perfectly viable options. However, I think I'd pass on the outboard bracket idea. That one sounds the most expensive. I personally hate I/O's but a 4.3 alpha is certainly a proven package. As you know, my friend just bought an outboard version of your hull. I can't imagine it would be that difficult to fab up the factory outboard set up.

DSCF2304.jpg

DSCF2301.jpg

DSCF2299.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

EZ! You rock!

Thanks a bunch for putting those photos of your buddies old boats transom! There is something that I really appreciate about these old big boats and an OB, eh! Thanks for the vote of confidence too.

Cheers!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

No prob. We can't wait till Spring so we can get that tub out on the bay and see how she does. We know it will be a turd with only a 90 but we really don't care.

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well me having a 78 22' center console... I wouldn't do the bracket idea. It's expensive and just doesn't do the old boat any justice visually. I like the 4.3 merc conversion alot with the donor boat. Reason being you have everything there in a package for your updated repower. You can utilize the steering and gauges. The modification to the transom will be much easier. You can utilize the current strong engine beam configuration to mount the engine and then just beef up the new outdrive area where you removed the boot to be structurally integrated to the beams. You have a ton of room in the bow so the dog house occuping some room isn't that critical. If you want to use that area... then beef up the dog house and stand on it to fish or whatever. The outboard idea is ok. You have to hack the transome and really add srtucture to it up high versus down low for the weight and thrust of the outboard engine. I don't see the outboard as being any cheaper to maintain. I have one on another boat, and it was always acting up and costing me money. She's and I/O now so make it a better I/O. My 2 cents worth...

5 speed

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Appreciate you thoughts 5Speed!

Cheers man!:D

By the way, since you have done this job before...

Is my thinking correct on installing this myself v. having it put in by the pros?

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I wouldn't say I've done this before... I'm actively engaged though! I am mechanically enclined and I have alot of tools. I am an aviation mechanic by trade so working with aluminum is second nature to me. I would still do as much as you can to save you some money and to learn about your boat.

5 speed

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well, I had a few minutes this afternoon and it was a comfortable 20 degrees outside.

So, what else would a guy do on a Saturday afternoon but...

P1000795.jpg

P1000800.jpg

...pull out an old marine engine!

It wasn't too bad of a job. I did feel like I was in an episode of Red Green for a little while though, as I don't have an engine hoist. But, I do have 11 acres of trees so I found two stout white pines along the drive. I then strung up some straps/cables/chains and the ComeAlong. I did end up getting out the BurnzOmatic to melt the ice off of the rear motor mounts so I could get to them. My neighbor probably thinks I am a nut job.

One step closer. 3,876,465,873 steps to go.

I'll get there!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Dude, you are a nut-job it's cold out there. JK, good to see you back at it. I was bummed when you were thinking of selling the project.

I was going to use the rafter in my garage to yank my motor. Two trees, you brought a tear to Red-Green's eye I'll bet. I've got a Bachelor's degree from Red Green school of Advanced Engineering, but you are obviously a PHD holder.:D

You now it's cold out when your Molson's gets colder while you're out working on the boat. Good luck and stay warm.

BD

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yup, I have a real nice LVL in my garage but I didn't have nearly the room necessary in there to make this operation work!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Just for the heck of it I thought I'd see where the count stands with this whole IO v. OB thing. Not that this is a majority rule sort of deal, that would be ridiculous as I'll be the fella driving the thing, whether it's junk or a fishing machine, eh!

so, I've talked to 5 separate marine engine mechanics about these options. Out of the 5, 4 of them said "ya know, an OB on a bracket would be the way to go on that boat." It was uncanny how they all used almost the same exact wording. The fifth guy said, "well, I am an IO guy, so..." A good buddy of mine (who knows his stuff and I respect though I would never tell him I do) said to go with the IO. And yes, I left the options wide open for all of them to tell me what they thought. And no, there was nothing for them to gain out of the deal. Only one sold OB's and knew full well that I wasn't going to drop $12K on a new Merc 150.

Tell ya what, that great big empty space (yes, empty space gets a vote too) where the motor once sat said OB all night long! Man, that is a whole different boat without that big fat doghouse sitting in the middle of the room!

OK, so here is the tally to this point, again just for the heck of it...

Bondo - IO
Pugetsound - OB on a SeaDrive (I'll count that as bracket)
Huron - OB on a bracket (though he actually said dual OB's)
Fishdog - OB on a bracket
5Speed - IO
EZ - IO (even through his pure disdain for IO's)
FshngHo - OB
BWR - OB on a bracket (another dual OB guy, ouch!)
Bwana Don - IO (or rebuild the OMC,:eek:)
Jcup - IO
4 Marine Techs - OB, OB, OB, OB all on a bracket
1 Marine Tech - IO
My good buddy - IO
Big empty space - OB
HopeSheFloats - OB
Another Marine Tech Guy - OB
2 Additional Marine Tech Guys - OB an OB
beast - OB

RUNNING TOTAL
IO = 7
OB = 14

Let me know if I read your post wrong or you have changed your mind. Good Lord knows that I have legitimately decided on each of these options probably a dozen times, and then back peddled!

Anybody else want to throw in their $.02?

Happy Sunday!

Last edited:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

I'm with Huron... dual outboards on a bracket... you'll love it once they're on there. :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I'm with Huron... dual outboards on a bracket... you'll love it once they're on there. :D

Ya, you and Huron are killen me! I'm a PoBoy!

I am just going to pretend that a 150 and a 15 counts as dual, eh!

Cheers!

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'm not trying to encourage you to spend too much on the rig ja...you can just run a reasonable dual-outboard setup, you know like this guy:p:D

Alt_4Naiad%20DV8.jpg

In all honesty if you want to troll with this boat with a kicker on the back you will have to run one larger outboard and the kicker. My dad wanted dual outboards on his 24' rig but he would've had to sacrifice the kicker and wasn't willing to do that. So he has a 225hp and a 8hp.

This rig would be perfect with one OB 100-175hp and a 5-15hp kicker:D

Don't forget that an outboard bracket will effectively make the boat longer for all intents and purposes. You will have a 25 footer:cool:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ha, Twin Yammy 350's wouldn't that be a kick! $400 in boat, $50,000 in motors:eek::eek: