1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

fshngho

Lieutenant
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Ja, Congrats on finding what you wanted. You must have been a nice person in your other life:) What the heck is up with guys from MI running around buying SC in the snow?:confused: You two are sick, totally focused on one thing and will not quit no matter what.....perfect, you fit right in;) Remember to take pics, we need them. ( exspecially Kev, he is in cold FLA) Great boat and let the fun start. Dale

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

I don't know about you JO but I'm kind of on hold due to the weather. I'll clean the snow out of the boat and tarp it up but I don't know what else I can do in the driveway.:(

I have half a mind to pull my engine and go through it. My buddy and my bro are against it though. 2 - 1 for run it first and then see what it needs. C'mon springtime. When the suckers start to run in the Rifle River then I'll start poking around the boat.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ja, Congrats on finding what you wanted. You must have been a nice person in your other life:) What the heck is up with guys from MI running around buying SC in the snow?:confused: You two are sick, totally focused on one thing and will not quit no matter what.....perfect, you fit right in;) Remember to take pics, we need them. ( exspecially Kev, he is in cold FLA) Great boat and let the fun start. Dale

Thanks dude!!

So I went to register the boat and trailer yesterday. The lady at the Secretary of State thought I was a wacko for buying a junk boat in the middle of winter. She says to me "Yah, good luck with your little project there."

I know you fellas here on iBoats understand me though!

Anyway, she assigned me some new numbers and gave me a tag that is good till 2013. I sure hope I can get her on the water before I need to renew my tag eh!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I don't know about you JO but I'm kind of on hold due to the weather. I'll clean the snow out of the boat and tarp it up but I don't know what else I can do in the driveway.:(

I have half a mind to pull my engine and go through it. My buddy and my bro are against it though. 2 - 1 for run it first and then see what it needs. C'mon springtime. When the suckers start to run in the Rifle River then I'll start poking around the boat.

Yah, I am with ya Don. I actually think having this boat frozen solid might be a good thing for me at this point. I am doing a lot of reading, planning and thinking right now rather than just tearing into it.

I might end up pulling that OMC out over the next few months of winter if I have the time and inclination.

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello and welcome to the club! I have a 78 Islander/CC modified that I am going through. I can tell you that if yours is like mine, there isn't much structure in the transome to support an OB motor. I took out my plywood due to rot and there is hardly any structure points to the actual beams of the hull. The engine and outdrive are all supported by the 2 main beams in your hull or maybe one in your case. I have the fire breathing 260 HP V8 with the beefier mechanical version of your electric shift outdrive. Look and my restoration/ "What do I have" thread to see some of the particulars. I am going back in with 2X2 square tube instead of the plywood. I myself don't like OB's. They are expensive and a pain to work on. I/O's do take up room in the boat but they sure are nice to service and work on. I will watch your progression and if you have any questions just post them and I'll do what I can to help you along the path!

5 speed

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hello and welcome to the club! I have a 78 Islander/CC modified that I am going through. I can tell you that if yours is like mine, there isn't much structure in the transome to support an OB motor. I took out my plywood due to rot and there is hardly any structure points to the actual beams of the hull. The engine and outdrive are all supported by the 2 main beams in your hull or maybe one in your case. I have the fire breathing 260 HP V8 with the beefier mechanical version of your electric shift outdrive. Look and my restoration/ "What do I have" thread to see some of the particulars. I am going back in with 2X2 square tube instead of the plywood. I myself don't like OB's. They are expensive and a pain to work on. I/O's do take up room in the boat but they sure are nice to service and work on. I will watch your progression and if you have any questions just post them and I'll do what I can to help you along the path!

5 speed

Thanks 5 Speed!

I think I'll wrestle through the OB v. IO decision for a while. I think there are pros and cons both ways.

Yah, if I were to go OB I would be reinforcing that transom with knee braces and such to tie it into the hull stringers. The weight would tie directly into the stringers - anything less is asking for an outboard on the bottom of Lake Michigan!

I subscribed to your rebuild and will be watching your progress!

Have fun!!!

Zrt1200

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you are going to convert to a outboard do a search on this forum. I have seen it a few times and helped a buddy do it to his 27' crestliner. I would be willing to take a look at it for you if you would like. I have built and braced so many things it would make your mind boggle, But I tend to be on the over kill side!! I am a journeyman CNC Machinist by trade and have a Mill, Lathe and welder's at home. And like I said earlier I am only a few miles away.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

If you are going to convert to a outboard do a search on this forum. I have seen it a few times and helped a buddy do it to his 27' crestliner. I would be willing to take a look at it for you if you would like. I have built and braced so many things it would make your mind boggle, But I tend to be on the over kill side!! I am a journeyman CNC Machinist by trade and have a Mill, Lathe and welder's at home. And like I said earlier I am only a few miles away.

Great, thanks!!!

I did some searching but my findings were not all that substantial (iboats and the web in general).

Now if I could just get this boat thawed out a little....

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

So it warmed up some over the past couple of days and melted some of the snow. I went out there for a couple of minutes and pulled off the old ratty/disintegrated topper for it and scooped out some more snow/sticks/leaves/junk.

I was standing there for a while thinking "man, this is going to be a a lot of work". Definite gut check, ya know.

What to do about the power plant for this rig is certainly going to be the crux.

I keep going back and forth, I/O one day then OB the next. Hmmmm...

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would check it over or pay a mechanic a little to give you an idea of if it is runable. There are plenty of parts available for the OMC if you just want to spend the time to hunt them down. I've torn into the electric outdrives and I actually think they are easier to work on that the mechanical shift outdrives... if you understand electricity.

5 speed

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

-UPDATE-

Well gents, time for some good news, bad news...

Good News
Last week I located a Merc 150 OB ready for action selling for half it's value!

Good News
Then, on Monday I found a Merc 4.3 V6 with Alpha COMPLETE with all the goodies (on a donor boat) , in cherry condition. Super reasonable price.

Bad News
Then, I got a call yesterday from one of my tenants (I have a couple of houses that I rent to college students). I was planning on them staying one more year but it looks like they are all moving out this summer. Basically what this means for me is a pretty major house renovation. Time, gone. Money, gone.:mad:

This Islander project might even need to find it's way to Clist to free up some resources. The good Lord giveth and the good Lord takith, eh!

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man. . . isn't life wounderfull !

5 speed

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

This Islander project might even need to find it's way to Clist to free up some resources.

I can understand putting the project on hold. In fact I am currently frustrated on my project because I am held up due to lack of funds. Don't sell the boat though. You won't get enough for it to make up for the trouble of finding another one. It will be there when you're ready for it.

WATERHAM

Seaman Apprentice

Jasoutside,
Just caught back up w/ your thread. Nice find! Don't sell it. You can chip away at it throughout the year, get everything just right. Look at most of us here; it's a race against the clock, you'll actually get to take your time. There will be more motors that will come along. How about parting out or selling your OMC whole. There is a supply/demand issue for them. As far as your rental, go to SVSU or Northwood,and post the opening on the bullitens; there's plenty of kids who want to stay up here over the summer or jump the gun on fall leases. (Good Luck!)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Jasoutside,
Just caught back up w/ your thread. Nice find! Don't sell it. You can chip away at it throughout the year, get everything just right. Look at most of us here; it's a race against the clock, you'll actually get to take your time. There will be more motors that will come along. How about parting out or selling your OMC whole. There is a supply/demand issue for them. As far as your rental, go to SVSU or Northwood,and post the opening on the bullitens; there's plenty of kids who want to stay up here over the summer or jump the gun on fall leases. (Good Luck!)

Yah, I was pretty much planning to sell that OMC whole for parts/repair set up.

My houses are over in Mt. Pleasant, for CMU students. My house renovation work will need to be spread out over the course of the summer (when I have time) to have it ready for 2010/2011 students to move in the middle August.

My plan was to renovate my boat this summer not a house! I have already done plenty of that! Rats.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey fellas....

Found a few minutes today to work on the ol' Islander.

I thought I'd give that OMC one more chance. So, I turned the key and wouldn't ya know it, nothin...

So, off came the out drive and the rubber boot. It was actually pretty easy - it took me longer to download the OMC manual than it did to take this outdrive off.

P1000776.jpg

P1000775.jpg

I also took some other random junk off of the stern that didn't have any business being there.

I picked up a boat cover at Menard's and threw that over it. It's not a perfect fit but it was pretty cheap and came with a three year warranty, not too shabby eh!

P1000778.jpg

I'll keep pluggin away, slow and steady:D

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

That electric shift outdrive looks to be in very good shape! Ball gears look like @ 70%- 80% from what I can see, so she don't have a ton of time on her. I will tell you that the outdrive is worth at least 750 and to the right buyer possibly double that. Keep up the positive attitude!

5 speed

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That electric shift outdrive looks to be in very good shape! Ball gears look like @ 70%- 80% from what I can see, so she don't have a ton of time on her. I will tell you that the outdrive is worth at least 750 and to the right buyer possibly double that. Keep up the positive attitude!

5 speed

Well that's a good feelin! Whatever I can get out of this OMC will go right to the new power.

By the way...

After I snapped that last photo and started walking up to the house I think that boat spoke to me. At first I thought it was just the wind...

"I want to be an outboard"

I shrugged it off, turned and kept walking. Then again, just a litter louder...

"I want to be an outboard"

I think she may want to be an outboard, huh.:D

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice boat man, never sell toys, unless it is to purchase other toys. Like others have said, for what it is actually worth, you will never locate and find another for that $$. Any corrosion issues??? Probably not considering it has prob never seen the salt.

Ebay is a really good place to sell that outdrive. I sold a newer OMC drive in a week for all of the right money. Put it on pallet, brought to UPS cost $100.00 to ship to Cali from CT.

Chad