1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer
Well I finally got the boat two weeks ago and started to pull the deck apart to find that the stringers are rotted and the transom is rotted as well. A majority of my time though these last two weeks has been on my 40X20 uninsulated garage. It was a reck before but now it is more up to par. I just have to install my double 55 gallon barrel stove and it'll be ready to do the more serious work on the boat over the winter months hear in eastern PA. I got the boat from my neighbor for free. It came with a 1961 evinrude starflyte unicharger motor that was top of their line back in 1961. I just built my motor mount and I am at the point now where all I have to do is take off the motor before I can remove the top of the boat. After the motor is off I will be building a cradle for the boat so I can get it off the trailer(the floor is really soft because of the rotted stringers.
100_3091.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is a picture of the floor. The stringers look ok on top but the bottom of the boards are all rotted and soft. Towards the back of the boat the stringer is so bad that the trailer rollers are pushing up the floor. I'm not going to remove and more of the floor until I have it off the trailer and on its cradle.
100_0464.jpg
[/IMG]

I removed all the aluminum rub rail- there were about 100 rivets that had to be drilled out, and there were a bunch of screws as well. I plan on re-using the rub rail but getting rid of the black paint that is on it.
100_0465.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0467.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0475.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0474.jpg
[/IMG]
I have taken off everything else including all the cables, wiring, mounts, etc. All that has to be done before the top can come off is remove the 4 motor mounts, and remove the motor.
More pictures will be coming and I plan to do this throughout the whole process no matter how long it takes.
I have learned a ton on this site over the past 3-4 months and I want to thank everyone whose posts I have been reading up on in advance.
I am limited to how much time I can spend on the boat because I am a teacher and I have a wife and two young children. So my time on the boat is usually from 8-midnight if the wife lets me out!
Thanks again and I hope you enjoy my journey and can help me out along the way.
Prior to reading up on this this site I have no prior knowledge of anything boat related other than I like to fish(just not on a boat up to this point). I am somewhat handy and I like projects (if you couldn't tell by seeing this boat).
I plan on having this boat back to like it was or as close as I can get it where it was back in 1962 on a somewhat modest budget.

I love the look of this boat and it kinda fell in my lap when my neighbor decided to get rid of it. So i plan on making it mine and using it to fish and take the kids out on a lake tubing and having some fun on it.
Here we go!

here is the link to all my pics on my photobucket account
http://s816.photobucket.com/albums/zz86/micks110/?start=all

Last edited:

micks110

Re: 1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

sorry about the same pictures??? I have to try and figure out why the mac does this? If anyone uses and mac and posts pics, please let me know. I can see all my pics at the bottom of the first posts link to my photobucket account.
100_0464.jpg
[/IMG]
floor stringers

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

there are alot of those for sale around here..

And I knew why too...

They look great, but as old as they are, there is significant doubt that they have made the years without the need for a full restore...

No one around here wants to mess with them anymore...

Sad deal...

I really like your boat!! Love the kini!

micks110

OK. I figured the pictures out. I used my pc and it worked posting multiple pictures right away. I just won't use the mac to post pics.

Here are my plans for the boat.
1. New pt stringers. I was going to use foam and glass over that but it won't have the grab for screwing in the deck.
2. Pour in foam to give the hull more rigidity.
3. New transom- probably seacast so I never have to touch it again and a little less labor intensive.
4. Fill all the screw holes that are all over the place.
5. 3 maybe 4 pole holders for fishing poles and grilling.
6. Paint- top, bottom, and non-scid inside the boat.
7. Back to back seating
8. New steering wheel and steering system
9. I'd like to find a new windshield like what is on there now. The one one now is all cracked
10. Radio

Questions I have about the process
1. There are many and I will ask them along the way!

My next move is to get the motor off, then the top, then get the boat off the trailer and onto a cradle so I can proceed to finish taking out the floor.
Mick

http://s816.photobucket.com/albums/zz86/micks110/?start=all

micks110

Here is my workspace. Nothing fancy but a 40'X18' garage. The previous owner just built it right on top of the ground. You see my current project going on- putting in a double 55 gallon barrel stove to warm it up in there. Hopefully by the end of the weekend it will be up and running.
100_0488.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0491.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0484.jpg
[/IMG]

my motor stand
100_0485.jpg
[/IMG]

all the wiring and stuff out of the way for the motor and top to come off.
100_0486.jpg
[/IMG]
I gotta get rid of the stop sign- to reflective in the pics!
100_0487.jpg
[/IMG]

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here is my workspace. Nothing fancy but a 40'X18' garage. The previous owner just built it right on top of the ground.

Nothing Fancy....thats the tashmahall to me...I work out in the driveway and right now its 25 degrees and a strong west wind of 20-40 mph.

Anyways...I like the look of those old boats. Makes me think of my grandfather. He had one back in the day but never used it much.

micks110

Darren,
I guess I just have a different perception of the garage. Prior to two weeks ago the garage was packed with excess junk and wood from the previous owner. We didn't touch this garage for the past 6 years. If you would have seen it three weeks ago before I started cleaning it out to make room for the boat- after I got all the wood out I had 14 wheel barrels full of dirt that I had to shovel and wheel out from the groundhogs! Now it is a little nicer and it is growing on me- once I get the fire set up tomorrow then I will really enjoy it.

I love the look of the old boat too- that's the only reason I took it cause it looks vintage and cause the motor ran.
I will post a pic later of the stove set up. I have a little more work to do on it tonight before my neighbor comes over tomorrow to help me run it through the roof.
I may start the cradle for the boat tonight too- I just don't like using the saws out there to late(don't want to upset the neighbors).
I will be using Friscoboaters idea for the cradle
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=358277&page=3

Mick

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I would aolmost trade my nicely insulated and almost finished garage for your space but I couldnt deal with dirt floors. You will have to pour concrete at some point. I love how the motor looks and matches the boat. Great project, have fun with it.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

wow those are some sexy swimsuits.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

micks110,
I have a finished garage but the wife won't let me put the boat in it. I have it under my deck on the patio. Covered with a tarp. I'll trade you anytime.
I agree with the others. Looks like a great project.
Just remember to keep us posted a keep the pic's coming. :D
Bob

micks110

Bob,
Sorry about your garage situation! Lucky for me our second garage is in the back of our house. My wife has probably been in it 10 times in 6 years so I have full reins of it.
Tonight I finished prepping the double barrel stove for tomorrow when we run it through the roof.
100_0497.jpg
[/IMG]
My neighbor came over to see what we would be working with tomorrow to run the stove pipe through the roof. I started telling him everything I plan on doing on the boat like taking the top off next and so on... Then before you know it he was knee deep with me taking the motor off and then the top. We cut all the caulking that was loaded between the two. Then we started lifting it and for some reason the back would not come up. We were prying, pulling, grunting- you name it but it still wouldn't come up. Then I look down and see the drain plug and say- son of a Bi_ch! So I grinded the lip off and up went the top.
100_0511.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0494.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0498.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0501.jpg
[/IMG]
After my neighbor left I started looking over the transom. I knew it was rotten and would have to be replaced.
[IMG]http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz86/micks110/100_0504.jpg
continued

micks110

before
100_0504.jpg
[/IMG]
after
100_0505.jpg
[/IMG]

I was hoping to use seacast to avoid a little extra excess work but it looks like I am going to have to remove the whole transom anyway because the skin on the inside of the transom is very thin.
100_0506.jpg
[/IMG]
The outside is alot thicker
100_0507.jpg
[/IMG]

It looks like they added a little extra support back in the day- the board glassed over with the scredriver sitting on it(I don't have to add this again when I redo the transom do I?).
100_0508.jpg
[/IMG]

How far do I have to cut/how much of the deck has to come out?
100_0503.jpg
[/IMG]
Tomorrow I am going to get the barrel stove running and also try and get the boat off of the trailer and onto its cradle that has yet to be made.
Mick

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Well now that you got most of what you were going to do tomorrow done. What are you really going to do tomorrow. HaHa :p
Thats the way to the neighbor to work. Got to love it.
Your really moving on it now. That stove looks interesting too.
Good luck and keep them coming.
Bob

BobsGlasstream

Commander

I must have been typing while you were posting your last post.
As for the thin skin on the inside thats pretty normal.
You can still use seacast if you want. Take a look at archbuilders thread.
He mad a new inside skin.
Great job man
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Great stove my uncle has one just like it in his garage and it throws some serious heat. I had the same issue with my inner wall on the transom in fact in the center of it there was no glass at all. I built an inner wall from biax that the owner of seacast threw in with my 5 gallon order and built a new inner wall. I would still use seacast then you are sure you dont need the extra brace. but thats just my opinion.

micks110

Hey guys.
I remember reading over archbuilders post were he made the skin for it. I will look for it again and try to do it that way. I know there are skeptics out there about the seacast but????? I don't know- what I always say is "do it right the first time then you never have to do it again."
Bob, yeh I did get ahead of schedule yesterday but then again, I don't really have a schedule, nor do I want one. I just go out there when I get a couple hours because of the wife and two kids- they come first. But so far yes, its been moving along with alot of stuff getting done which is nice.
I wanted to do the stove and cradle today, but we had 3 inches of snow yesterday and it's still cold so it's not melting to fast. I went out last night and shoveled the roof off but I can just see shingles snapping left and right if we try and do it today.
I will be going out in a little to try and get the cradle done and at least get the boat off the trailer. Then the scary work starts- the stuff I have never done before- sanding, stringers, different adhesives, transom, fiberglass, the list goes on:confused:! This is the point where everything will slow down and I will be enlisting the help of all you guys!:)
Mick

micks110

skibum
what is biax and how did you do what you did? I'm guessing that you used the biax as you inner skin, poured the seacast, removed the biax, and then glassed over that? Thanks
Mick

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Put some straps around the hull, or braces across the top to keep it from spreading while you have the cap off...especially if you intend to heat that space a lot. Don't want the hull to relax/spread and cause you grief getting the cap back on. Blow off the seacast, replace the transom with wood..couple layers of ply, cut to fit...glued and screwed together.

micks110

I will put some straps on it when I'm not working on it- thanks for that tip.
Well today I didn't get the pipe up through the roof to day for the stove- my neighbor was awol-plus my sweeping of the snow didn't do much good- too cold and the snow wasn't melting.
100_0514.jpg
[/IMG]
I did manage to get the boat off the trailer by myself. It was scary at times but I got it done without any big bangs!
100_0518.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0517.jpg
[/IMG]

I made three of these cradles out of 4x4's and put carpet in them for some padding. I didn't do the side supports for the cradles yet. Because of the uneven floor I will do the individually.
100_0515.jpg
[/IMG]

This is where it got a little hairy for a couple minutes till I got it straightened out. I would advise getting someone to help you get the boat off the trailer!
100_0516.jpg
[/IMG]

Then she was in place and all was good.
100_0519.jpg
[/IMG]