1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

Another video is posted below!!!!

Well tonight was fun. I started grinding the front 1/3rd of the hull
100_0686.jpg
[/IMG]
Im glad I bought two tyvec suits cause the first one is shot already! Plus get more than one flap disk cause mine is almost shot after just the front 1/3rd of the hull. I'll pick up two more tomorrow.
Then I sanded through the hull- OUCH- it is thin along that edge- it worries me a bit to know that deck is sitting on that ledge- I will just poly the heck out of it before I put in the deck. I will touch up the hole with bubbles and matte when I get there I guess.
100_0694.jpg
[/IMG]

The I started with the keel and while messing around with that I noticed they were is small two to three foot sections mitred together and the wood was soft so I started pulling them out
100_0699.jpg
[/IMG]
till it was down to the thick fiberglass keel under there.
100_0709.jpg
[/IMG]
I gotta cut out the bilge area next and get that small section out. I'm gonna order a gallon or two of seacast tomorrow and that is what I am going to use to fill the keel area rather than messing with cutting and routing wood to try and fit back in there(I'm doing the transom with ply because of the cost- can't afford it). And I am just going to do the section where it stops in the pic a little over half the boat- approx 7' because it was hard wood there and I really had to pry to get the wood to come up(will the seacast stick to poly- cause I'm gonna poly the small section of wood first)
100_0706.jpg
[/IMG]

********************** VIDEO***********************
I kinda like doing the videos- it is a little more informational for everybody- I hope. But it is just a pain uploading to the computer and then to youtube cause it takes longer than the photos.
Let me know what you think of my plan in the video. If the link doesn't work you can find it on youtube under "Keel Removed"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUmd1I7O6qg

She looks all lonely sitting there about to have the lights turned out on her. This has really turned into a labor of love and I understand now all the posts I read months ago were people said it starts to consume your thoughts and dreams- no lie- it does when you put this much into it!
100_0712.jpg
[/IMG]

Well, let me know what you guys think about all the questions within the post. It is llate and I'm to tired to type them up all nicely- your help is definitely appreciated!

Hope you like all the pics and videos- I knew that coming in so I figured I'd go wild every time I post something!

There are more pics that I didn't post in my photobucket- I'm tired- gotta shower yet and hit the rack with sleeping beauty.
Mick

http://s816.photobucket.com/albums/zz86/micks110/

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks good Mick. The seacast will stick to fiberglass, as long as it is clean and roughed up. You shouldn't have any problems fiber glassing over the seacast, but like anything make sure you read the directions. One other thing you might want to think about, its temperature sensitive. Check with seacas, but you might need to keep the stuff in a heated area until just before you use it.....I'm guessing you might also need some heat lamps. I did mine when it was in the tupper 80's and it took about an hour for it to start kicking off.

micks110

Thanks for the tips archbuilder. What is "kicking off"? I've read that in several different threads and I am not sure what it means? I'm assuming it means when the fiberglass and poly start to cure/get hard/bond together?

Tonight I didn't get out to the garage until 9pm. I was shovelin! It is like a winter wonderland here- we got around 8 inches of snow so far.
100_0716.jpg
[/IMG]

It was nice and toasty in the garage too. I picked up another source of heat today for these really cold days. I have been at around 50 degrees in the garage when I really have the fire stoked good when it is in the 20's and teens outside. So I was looking for a cheap source of extra heat to get me to about 55 or better on the really cold days. I remembered that I had one of these up in the house that I never took out of the box from about 2 years ago- I picked it up at one of those truck sales.
100_0713.jpg
[/IMG]
I had it running for about 25 minutes before I got started sanding to see what it could do. the garage was 55 degrees before I turned it off so it wasn't burning dust as I was sanding!

Is this a good source of heat when I start doing the glass work- after reading the directions they kind of scare the crap out of you with flamables, and being too close to stuff, etc... What I am asking is will it blow while I am using acetone and poly?

After I was done playing with gas I started sanding- I can't wait till the sanding is done- it is a mess, and the smell!!!

I got the whole floor done tonight except for the small section up front- it was covered in about 2 inches of fiberglass dust and I forgot about it. I will do that the next time I'm out along with sides, and knee walls, and whatever else has to be touched up.
100_0714.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0715.jpg
[/IMG]

Good Night,
Mick

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

kicking off is when the fiberglass or seacast starts to cure. When you have a substantial amount it gets very hot. The reaction is exothermic and my transom got so hot I couldnt put my hand on the outer skin for more than a second. Once it starts to get hot you dont really need it to be warm in the area because it produces its own heat.
You mentioned the smell when grinding. Please use a good resperator. Once fiberglass gets in your lungs it will stay there forever. You can get a good resperator for $20 to $30 and they are not too uncomfortable. You dont need charcoal canisters for grinding but you do need particulate filters.
I have a heater like yours and it is great I use it when I wont be out long enough to build a fire. As long as you keep the flame 3 feet or so from the chemicals and boat you should be fine. Dont pint the heater at your boat, My father melted my cousins bumper with mine. I point mine at my wood stove to be safe.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I think I read in the directions somewhere that the seacast gets up to about 130 degrees when it is firing off. Given how small the void you are filling is, I'm not sure if it will really get that hot. Have you talked with the seacast people about the temperature?

Also be careful with the chemicals, make sure you keep them away from the open flame! Things like lacquer thinner and acetone are the worst. Things like polyester are a little more forgiving. Make sure you don't let vapors build-up, when in doubt open the door up!

micks110

Thanks for the info guys. Archbuilder- I did not talk to seacast yet. I will call tomorrow.

Yesterday was a busy day running around before the snow came and then I just forgot about it until I went out at night. Plus I was kicking around the idea of just using some ply as a filler but I don't think that will provide me with as good a joint to the old would as the seacast would.

Gotta to to the in-laws now for Christmas. Hopefully I get out on the boat later tonight.

Mick

BobsGlasstream

Commander

micks110,
Sorry, I didn't get home in time to get on here last night.
I liked the video.
You are moving right along. the sanding is a real pain but you be finished before you know it. ;)
I think :p.
Great to see you are still moving along.
Bob

micks110

No work on the boat last night- we had Christmas at the in-laws.
I did talk to the people at seacast today about their product for my keel.
Then we got to talking about my transom and stringers..... lets just say that the debate on seacast for my transom and now stringers too is open again...
Hopefully tonight I can do a good bit of sanding to where that is just about wrapped up:)
Mick

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I am big fan of seacast so if there is any way of fitting it in the budget I would do it. If you plan to keep the boat long term and if there is ever a possibility of forgettimng the drainplug or any other possibility of water getting in the boat, and if you are leaving it outside and it might rain I would go with seacast. There is just too many ways to get wood wet and wood is organic and it likes to degrade while seacast is a fiberglass product that will last forever. Granted you can seal wood but all it takes is one small hole for water to get to it and rot has started. Mine rotted because the drainplug hole was not sealed

BobsGlasstream

Commander

micks110,
Hey if you can swing the cost and plan to keep the boat a long time then I would go for it. :)
I just can't justify the cost and I don't plan to get rid of my boat. Of course the wood will probably out live me at this point.:D
Look forward to hearing what you decided.
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Bob just make sure you seal the edge of the plywood where you cut around the drainplug.

micks110

Thanks for the replies guys- I figure I'm gonna spend approx $300 on wood that will eventually get wet and soft. What's another $300 on the plastic card?
If anything will ever have to be replaced then it will just be the floor- and that's gonna get glassed over so hopefully I won't be touching that in my lifetime- well maybe when I'm Bob's age(how old are you Bob- I'm 31).

OK, tonight I got almost all the sanding done. I just have to finish the areas that will be tabbed in for the deck, the other side where the transom will be tabbed in, and the sanding of the inner transom. I should wrap that up tomorrow- I hope- I just want to clean the garage up and get to putting it back together.
Some pics- I know you like em! Not to much to look at though- I didn't vacuum when I was done- that would have been the third time in one night!
Heres the flap disk I'm using to grind
100_0718.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0719.jpg
[/IMG]

I got the keel in the bilge area cut out to and sanded down- A look at some of the dust too- can you tell where I vacuumed???
100_0723.jpg
[/IMG]

Looks like it snowed in the boat- this was after the second time I vacuumed
100_0721.jpg
[/IMG]

Is this sanded back far enough for when I will be tabbing in the transom to the hull or should I sand closer to the knee wall???
100_0722.jpg
[/IMG]

That's it for tonight- like I said before, hopefully I will wrap up the sanding the next time out so I can put away the respirator and tyvec suit for a while!
Thanks,
Mick

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

For grinding I found (at the end unfortunately) that a 7 inch sanding disc 36 grit on a buffer/ sander is much much faster than a 4 inch flapdisc or grinding disc on an angle grinder. Probably too late for you too but it doesnt leave as much for grooves and it is 10 times faster.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

micks110,
OK, I'll tell my age. It's in my profile anyways. I just turned 57 in Oct. I tell everyone that I look good for a guy twice my age.
Which now would be 114. :eek:
When I do my next project. I will get a 7 " grinder. Notice I said when. Please don't tell my wife. She would kill me for sure. :D
Have a good one.
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

make sure your 7 inch is variable speed. So Bob what is the next boat? Is it hiding in your buddies back yard?

BobsGlasstream

Commander

SKIBUM1M Re: 1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
make sure your 7 inch is variable speed. So Bob what is the next boat? Is it hiding in your buddies back yard?
It's not hiding yet. I'm still looking for the right one. I'll no it when I see it. I would kinda like to find a Craver cruiser. I think that would be so cool to cruise the inland water ways in one. :cool:
Bob

micks110

No pics tonight- to late- I just got in and I gotta shower yet, and the wife is summoning me to go to bed! I got all the grinding/sanding done tonight!!! I will try and post the pics tomorrow at work if I get some time.
Bob you are my dad's age! Hey, I always say- age is just a number!
Gdnt
Mick

micks110

Thanks Isaacm.

Last night I got the sanding done- what a messy job that was- my garage looks like a Mt. St. Helen went off in there.
Heres a look at what it looked like before I started and this was after half a dozen or more vacuuming jobs.
100_0725.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0726.jpg
[/IMG]

I got done all the areas that will be tabbed into with new glass.
100_0730.jpg
[/IMG]
I plan on putting in a new piece in here with a panel to close it off the the gas area here
100_0729.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0732.jpg
[/IMG]

I screwed a 2x4 across the top of the transom as well to not allow it to bow.
100_0736.jpg
[/IMG]

I will be ordering the seacast today! Until it arrives I will clean up the garage a bit and enjoy Christmas!
Mick

BobsGlasstream

Commander

micks110,
Look at the bright side the grinding is out of the way for the most part. :p Everything now is building it back. :D
I also see that you decided to go with the seacast. I hope it goes as planned.
Bob