1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: 1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

Sounds like we are talking about the same thing....good thing there isn't a mechanical engineer reading this thread!

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Will post pics when the wife stops yellin at me. I got the deck out today!

How do I get the transom out- I have the fiberglass cut but what next?

Yeh the second barrel just collects the heat instead of it runnin right up the chimney.

And yes, there is about two feet between the tarp and metal sheet. hopefully there no engineers reading- haha!
Mick

micks110

They sell the double barrel kits too at northern tool, tractor supply, etc.

After the kids are to bed I plan on going back out and hopefully getting the transom out. Here what I did this afternoon.

First I opened the garage door for ventilation.
100_0582.jpg
[/IMG]

Cut out this thing(sorry don't know the name)
100_0610.jpg
[/IMG]

Cut out the deck. some spots were real easy because they were soft and rotted. Other spots were harder were the ply underneath was still good
100_0609.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0608.jpg
[/IMG]

Why is the fiberglass over the keel like this in this section?
100_0588.jpg
[/IMG]

Why is there a drain plug going from the bilge back under the deck to rot out the ply? Isn't the deck supposed to be watertight when I'm all done?
100_0586.jpg
[/IMG]
To be continued later- gotta put the kids to bed and then head back out.
Mick
You can check out my photobucket for the rest of the picks if you don't want to wait till later.
http://s816.photobucket.com/albums/zz86/micks110/?start=all

micks110

Just want to add that the stringers and cross braces just crumble apart in my hands in most places. I think too that there should be a stringer over the keel to when I redo it- what do you all think?
Thanks,
Mick

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Mick, My method is to copy what the boat builders did......it worked for them. As for my below deck area, I foamed it and sealed it up.....some day water will get in there, but I hope that is a long time from now! Was there any foam in there?

micks110

archbuilder- there was no foam under the deck but I had the intentions of doing the same thing you did and add the pourable foam for some more strength and support under there.
Do you know why that section right on top of the keel is separated like that- is it cause for more concern or will it just be grind down and add fresh poly and matte?
Going back out now(9p.m) for a little to clean up the mess and try to get out the transom. I will post more pics later while I'm watching the ufc.
Mick

BobsGlasstream

Commander

micks110
My deck was something like that but larger then yours. Mine was for drainage back to the bilge area.
You sure have a mess on your hands now sir. :D
Great start. :D
Still to cold to work outside on my boat but doing what I can.
Bob

micks110

Ok, this post is gonna have alot of pics and hopefully a video "how to remove a rotted transom."
Tonight when I went back out I went at the transom. I started with a 1.5" scraper and hammer and removed the adhesive from the exterior skin and sides of the transom. Remember this transom was supposedly "solid" my neighbor who gave me the boat told me.
Then I went at it with the prybar and for a couple minutes I thought it was solid and I wasn't going to get it out. Then I just started to get the teeth of the prybar into it and loosen it up a bit. Them it started to just crumble apart. So I figured if I get that section out I'd be able to get the rest out.
OK pics time and maybe video!

First got the prybar in between the two pieces of the transom.
100_0618.jpg
[/IMG]

Then I started scraping
100_0620.jpg
[/IMG]

******OK VIDEO TIME******
HOW TO REMOVE A ROTTEN TRANSOME!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFvi7_Fucgk
I know nothing major but I got it to work so maybe I will start doing more of them.
I have one of the garage too but I didn't post it.

More scraping- yeh solid all right!
100_0627.jpg
[/IMG]

Then all out. I think I'm just gonna leave those two knee braces there and cut a couple inches off the bottom to fit the ply under and re-glass. my deck is longer than 8' so maybe that will be were my seem is for the two pieces.
100_0631.jpg
[/IMG]

got 99% of the old wood off, the little that is left I will hit with the grinder
100_0632.jpg
[/IMG]

100_0634.jpg
[/IMG]

micks110

Here's my template!
100_0636.jpg
[/IMG]

Notice the stringers go all the way to exterior skin. Is this typical? This is where the stringers are in the best shape(not kidding either)! It;s like the exterior drain plug- that is were the transom was the strongest???
100_0635.jpg
[/IMG]

Here are some pics from this afternoon.
A closer look at the front cradle support
100_0581.jpg
[/IMG]

Cutting out the deck
100_0589.jpg
[/IMG]

Bilge area
100_0602.jpg
[/IMG]

I would recommend getting a blade for cutting out the deck with less teeth. This one did a good job but prob because the deck was in such a weak state. The areas were the wood was in better shape it struggled a bit. Plus it got worn down quite a bit from my 10' deck
100_0629.jpg
[/IMG]

Well that's it for now. Next I gotta get all that junk in the boat cleaned up and move on to the stringers. I also have to go to the boat store and get some supplies for when everything starts to get put back together!
I have 2x6's that I plan to rip down for the stringers and I have ply for the deck. How many coats of poly should I put on those pieces of wood?
Thanks guys- I gotta get around to reading all of your posts now!
Mick

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Mick
I wouldnt use standard building 2x6's I think they would rot pretty easily. I used fir 5/4 flooring and I have seen plywood used.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Micks, looks like you made some progress! Very impressive. Is the bow piece you are talking about the vertical bulkhead in the 3rd picture down? As for the stringers, mine has 4 layers of 2 oz CSM over seacast. Keep up the good work, once you get it ground down you will have the hard part done! If you are going with the foam, I wouldn't worry about the drain, just make a small bilge area like I did. The rest I would just seal up nice and tight with several layers of glass and mat.

micks110

I was looking around on the internet about my and engine and I found this cool video on my engine the 1961 evinrude starflite 3 unicharger. It set the record back in 1961 at 122 mph. Pretty cool video- old school! It is the second boat to go in the video.
http://rides.webshots.com/video/3043001400101354590oZWSIF

Mick

micks110

that was a pretty good video. That's what is missing from the U.S. these days. I haven't been in boating before so its not like my truck to me yet. I'm a GM guy so I understand why you are a Merc guy! To me the 61 evinrude on my boat looks cool as hell and it is period to the boat- so I am happy:)
Mick

micks110

No work on the boat today. My Giants are playing so maybe tomorrow I will clean the boat out tomorrow and start removing the stringers if its not to late.

Question- When I am trying to get rid of the high spots/pointy spots of fiberglass I use a grinding wheel- correct? Then follow it up with the sanding wheel to get to fresh glass- correct?
Thanks,
Mick

BobsGlasstream

Commander

micks110,
That transom looked pretty solid to me. A solid mess. :D
As for the grinder, I just went too the flapper wheel and it took care of everything. I really haven't used a grinder disk yet.
Looking good keep it rolling.
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

If you are talking about getting it ready to glass, I use a 5' #24 or #36 grit disk on my air grinder. I have a fiberglass backing plate that allows it to flex some, but still keeps it rigid. All of the body guys I used to work with used them. The only drawback is you need a good air compressor. I can post a picture if you would like. I'm guessing you might be able to set up an electric one that way also. I also have two air powered die grinders that I manly used for cutting....but sometimes they work for roughing up things in a tight space also.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Here is some pics of the seats for you.
IMG00125-20091214-1439.jpg

IMG00126-20091214-1439.jpg

micks110

Skibum, Hell Yea. I can do alot with those seats. Do you have the base dimensions(L and W) and a rough measurment of the seat it self(L and W).

Thanks for the clarification on the grinding/sanding question. I have a 60 gallon compressor so if I do go that route that should be enough power right. I forget what the cfm is on it but I bought the one with the higher cfm at the time.

I made some progress on the boat tonight. I cleaned out the boat- that's about it. I took some pics of the engine too so I can post it on the engines forum for some general info on it.

I was going to start cutting out the stringers but I have to get a larger than 3" diameter blade and it was too loud for 10:30 at night. I also took some pictures with some measurements to make sure the stringers go back in the right place.

Here are the pics
Before
100_0631.jpg
[/IMG]

After
100_0648.jpg
[/IMG]

100_0647.jpg
[/IMG]
I kept three pieces of the transom to use for a template. Two of the pieces are the corners of the transom and the long piece is actually a support for the cap splashwell.

Here are the biggest pieces that came out of the deck and transom- yeh they were both shot!
100_0649.jpg
[/IMG]

Here are some of the engine under the cap. I know nothing about motors or working on them so hopefully I just get some clarification from you guys and the guys in the engine forums for the right questions to ask at the boat shop for when I have them go over it.
All I know is that this is the carb
100_0641.jpg
[/IMG]

And this is the spark plugs and cylinders- it think these are the 4 cylinders?
100_0638.jpg
[/IMG]

I gotta get to the boat store one of these days to get some supplies to start putting this thing back together.

OK Question- what should I go with paint or gel coat for the bottom half of the boat. There are some nicks that I have to take care of on the bottom and two spots where thee are spiderweb cracks on the bottom. My neighbor roll and tipped the bottom half of the boat 6 years ago. Two areas on the transom the paint is peeling a little, and under where the arkansas traveler logos it is peeling a little as well. The rest of the bottom the paint is in good shape.
Thanks,
Mick
http://s816.photobucket.com/albums/zz86/micks110/

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I had the same question and everyone seems to have different opinions about paint or gelcoat. I am going gelcoat figuring that is what the manufacturer uses and I had alot of very minor problems like you. I also want a complete color change so I am doing the cap, dash, bow rider area, and hull.