1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: 1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

Mick,
It's coming along very nice. I like the foam forms.
Keep up the great work.
Bob

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

I wouldn't mess with a bilge drain, unless one was engineered into your boat originally. Seal your work to keep water out, then use it until it's time for a new/another boat.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

And it will be time for a new boat in a year or two when you get the need to cover yourself in fibereglass dust and build your next one. To me building the boat is almost as fun as using it.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Mick, looks great! Shims are your friends! I would stick with the pour foam, its rigid and made for the application you are using it for. The stuff at home depot is different, and is made to fill in cracks around windows......of course I may start a war on here even talking about foam! LOL! There are a lot of different opinions on it. If you use the pour foam like I did, I don't see why you need a drain plug because there aren't any voids, or they are very small if there are some....and the plug won't be in the right place. Call me in 15 years and I will tell you if I'm right!

I like Skibum's comment...in about 2 years you will be telling your wife "well we really do need a bigger boat.....did you see the one down the street with the tree growing in it....just a little glass and it will be ready for the lake!".......

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

I will stick with the pour foam- I did alot of research on it today.
Na, I will never get a new boat- costs to much! I can see adding on about 3-4' feet though on my boat. I hear there's alot of literature on this site about somethin like that:eek:

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I have contemplated changing mine from an open bow to a cuddy cabin

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

dont do that. You are on Iboats and you know daring someone can get them in alot of trouble around here.

micks110

Looks like I may have stirred up the pot a bit!!! It would be nice to have another 3'. But unfortunately my garage isn't long enough;)

No pics tonight- I'm sorry. I didn't find it to amusing standing in front of the stove taping for 3 hours. Hell by now I could have had wood stringers cut and installed and start fiberglassing the tomorrow!

I gotta finish taping tomorrow and then shim it all up and then be glassing by Friday. How many layers of tape do you think I need- 2 or 3?

Thanks

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Mick, FYI the pour foam is really sensitive to the temperature.....I did mine in the 80's, then did some later when it was in the high 60's. It expanded quite a bit more in the 80's...the warmer the better!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

micks110,
archbuilder, is correct about the foam. The higher the ambient temp the more the foam will expand and the faster it will cure. I run mold temps at 150 degrees F to get it to cure faster in our molding process. I would hold off pouring it until you can get the temp up.
Also remember one of the components ( ISO) will start to freeze at 60 degrees. Don't store it where the temp gets that cold either.
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Perhapse the sheet foam would be better to use if you cant get the temperature up enough to use pour in.

micks110

thanks guys for the advice.
skibum- I want to use the pour foam more for the stiffening up of the hull rather than for the flotation properties. So the sheets of foam are out of question.
The warmest I had it under my make shift shelter was 70- that should work as long as I store the stuff in the house until I come out to the garage I guess.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I would shoot for something higher if you can Mick.....maybe someone has a forced air heater you could borrow for the weekend? The higher the temp, the more you have to use.....or it seemed that way to me.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Im sure you can rent a salamander for a weekend so bring the temp right up.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

micks110,
If you can't get your ambient air temp higher, just put some heat lamps in areas under the section of the boat you are going to pour the foam into. Once the foam starts to kick it will generate its own heat too. You could even use a hair dryer to heat the glass in smaller areas. I have used them to heat prototype molds.
Bob

micks110

Thanks Bob,
I was gonna ask you about something like that. I got a guy who is going to let me borrow his forced air heater too whenever I need it. So I should be set.
I'm out here working now. I just finished taping all my foam and I am shimming everything up now. Pics later or tomorrow.
I also made a decision on the bow area. I'm just going to seek it up and maybe in the summer I will drill a couple holes and fill it up then with foam. But for now I'm going to enclose the whole hull without a drain plug because every void and cranny will be sealed by the foam anyway.
Thanks again- back to work:D

micks110

Well I got the foam taping finished, put all the pieces back in, and got them shimmed up tonight. I also vacuumed and cleaned up a bit so tomorrow I can start mixing the poly and start glassing around the foam. Looks like maybe next weekend will be the seacast.

100_0837.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0838.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0839.jpg
[/IMG]
100_0840.jpg
[/IMG]

How many layers of the 6 inch cloth should I use? the roll of stuff(fiberglass cloth?) right in front of the poly
100_0761.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm thinking two layers of the 6" fiberglass cloth,
pour the seacast,
encapsulate the stringers then with the 6" fiberglass cloth,
then cover everything with fiberglass mat.

Overkill? what are your thoughts?
Thanks and goodnight!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Mick looks good! I used 4 layers of 1.5 oz mat on mine and it was plenty...you could get away with less I'm sure.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Lookin great for the stringers. I thought seacast was expensive till I ordered gelcoat today. $315 for 5 gallons. The stringers are the only thing I didnt do on mine because they were in great shape. but now I will be worried about them getting wet. Oh well the deck is down now so its too late. Keep up the incredible work.