1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo ?'s and build

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo ?'s and build

thanks for the encouragement..... I may actually drop the engines in monday if all goes well and it doesn't rain..... I'm waiting on a couple more thruhull fittings to plug tranducer holes and mounts for the genny before I can drop em in.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Well I picked up an anchor today.... 13 lb plow $38 new.....
anchor.jpganchor2.jpg

still need a windlass

I made yet another adjustment on the plumbing. I shortened a line a few inches and routed it slightly differently so that my lines would lay better (yeah I'm picky that way) It doesn't work any differently at all but looks better

I also (choke cough) drilled a hole for an overboard fitting to drain the pop off of the water heater overboard 6" above the water level... I used a fuel tank vent fitting so that if the valve trips it doesn't project outward... Hopefully there will be less chance of scalding swimmers that way.

I also routed a new 1/2 very heavy wall fuel hose for the fresh water intake of the genny.... the old one was 3/4" and this hose is nearly the same diameter. I found an fitting for the 3/4" inlet with a 1/2" hose barb.

I also put in one of the trim pumps and 4 batteries 3 group 31 general purpose house batteries and one group 27 marine starting

I am trying now to decide how I want to wire the charging system.... I believe I may charge the 31's with the main engines and also start from them. If so then the genny will have it's own battery which will double as emergency backup for the mains... Or for that matter starting the genny either by battery or rope will charge all batts

I will be taking my fairing block to the belt sander tomarrow to change to match my deadrise angle and mount my transducer in the last open hole

I got the last of my thru hulls today to plug the transducer holes in the bottom but the genny mounts didn't show.... I'll likely put one of the engines in and wait for the second untill the genny is mounted.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

woohoo Just won a fleabay auction for a
lewmar concept 0 windlass
221.45 shipped

!BnTb3TgCGk~$(KGrHqMH-D8EuGm7lNbWBLi-omTSqQ~~_12.JPG
!BnTb08!Bmk~$(KGrHqUH-D8EuFdG078nBLi-ogBg3w~~_12.JPG

mciaio

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dude, awesome thread. It's so cool how things just seem to be coming together for you.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well I finally goofed.... I got a great deal today on some mercury marine pneumatic exhuast cutouts.... 2 pair and the compressor for $500 they were for 4" (oval) y pipes but I thought I could still use them..... I was wrong.... I may just put them on the shelf for now.... might change transom units and y pipes at a later date or might sell em...
cutouts.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

got my genset mounts today
gen4.jpg

got em all bolted down with all stainless with washers top and bottom and nylock nuts
gen5.jpg

Here's the fuel line and batt cables all tidy
gen6.jpg

And finished.... got nylon spacers in the holes on the genny to center the bolts and stainless fender washers top and bottom
gen7.jpg

It runs much quieter now and the cabin doesn't vibrate when it runs.... prolly put the impeller back in and run it with water in it for a longer test to make sure all is well and drop the engines in real soon...... still have to mount the transducer and put a couple ends on the battery cables where they hook to the starter... Also one or two more grounds and need to finish up the trim pumps.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I filled the fresh water tank and powered up the pump and water heater today.... everything worked as it should... i also cleaned the sinks and the head up a bit... had to clear the sink drain for the galley of some sort of gunk but all is well now.

Bucks45

Petty Officer 1st Class

No pressure Smoke, but we're going on almost a week with no updates! Lol! :D

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

argh.... since they moved me over here I'm not keeping up with this thread as much....

bilge1.jpgbilge2.jpgbilge3.jpg

I got a fairing block cut to 16.5 degrees for my thru hull transducer and put it in and now have the other 3 holes plugged with thru hull fittings and caps. I also picked up a ram mount for my lowrance lcx-15mt but it looks like my gps antenae has died over the winter. I got the "gps module not responding" error and a hard reset does no good.
I got 3 battery trays for the group 31 batts.... not easy to find... I know the batts look accient but you'll have that when you step on them constantly climbing in and out of the bilge... I still need to re route the batt cables and I am going to completely change the wiring around.... It's gonna be set up with 1 starting battery for both engines and the genny and the 3 house batts seperated by a selector switch.... currently the engs start from the house batts and it is wired for two house banks with room for 3 batts.... also there is another batt to the right of the genny wired for only it...

when I'm done I will be able to run down all of the house batts but start from the starting batt, but if that fails I can pull start the genny and charge up the house batts with the converter...

I also put water to the genny and ran it for half an hour or so.... it dripped a few drops of oil from the governer shaft so that will need a new seal but otherwise it ran well.... It didn't put out the amperage I expected but it was running off of whatever is in the boat tank so I'm sure that hurt the power as that fuel is likely a couple years old and since the boat was stripped after not being winterized the fuel is likely not treated either... I got about 15 amps out of it before it began to bog down and voltage dropped below 100 but it is rated for 20.7 amps @ 115v... another reason to suspect fuel is that the genny ran perfect on a gas can before I put it in the boat but I had to adjust the carb quite a bit when I hooked it up in the boat.... I'll eventually pump the old stale gas out and abuse the mustang with it....

Yesterday I spent nearly all day with my knee caps on the stringers and a scrub brush in my hand.... I filled my 28 gallon shop vac with water about 10 times and got the eng compartment clean... I also washed ALOT of crap out of the bilge area under the aft cabin... It is only accessible through 2 1.5" holes that are 3 feet forward of the engines under the gas tank..... I had the bow up and just kept working the hose garden hose in and out.... I got a plastic spoon gobs of slimy trash chunks of dirt lots of little plastic bags a couple peices of leftover construction stuff like chips of wood and fiberglass plugs from a holesaw.... LOTS of the kind of crap that can foul a bilge pump and sink a boat..... I know because I had the bilge pump running while washing and it fouled half a dozen times or so.

Bucks45

Petty Officer 1st Class

Still looking good. Thanks for the update. Keep em coming.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

the engines are now setting in the boat... One is wired up and it is sooooooo cool to turn the key and hear that engine jump to life

Got em dropped in just in time to go eat my birthday cake :D

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

the engines are now setting in the boat... One is wired up and it is sooooooo cool to turn the key and hear that engine jump to life

Got em dropped in just in time to go eat my birthday cake :D

Happy birthday! Nice job, not sure if I'd call that a boat restoration or a SHIP restoration. :D Some good deals you've got there. Gotta admire your eye for a bargain.

That is going to be one sweet ride when she's done.

Cheers~!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Thanks..... I r&r'ed my trim pumps today with new filters and reseviors and aslo a new used wire harness for one since someone had cut out the inline fuse and twisted the wires together

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, nice building thread!! Love the big boats with bedroom and stuff. Driving 1000+ miles with a huge boat like that never crossed my mind. Isn't it a Dodge Ram (with manual transmission)? Surely it can take a lot...hard work :D.

I have always fancied going out to high sea where the fish are always angry. I am a little bored on land. Too bad, i need house with a big yard first before i can drag something in. Enjoyed following the thread, would love to see them out and about soon. (No pressure :) )

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

howdy chickendog.... love the name kinda like a rushin beardog..... rush around the house and bear down on a biscuit :D

My truck is an F-350 powersmoke slushamatic... lol

Got the winch stand built today. Also drilled the hull and installed the bow eye. Still need to glass in a backing block and come up with a bushing of some sort to to make a nice fit of the flat eye plate to the v of the hull.

I cut the old 2x4" tubing out and welded it up with longer 3x4" tubing at a 5 degree forward angle.. I also moved the second bracket and gusset to the back as it was on the front before.... this lets me move the boat ahead 11 inches.... 10 will let the drives hit the bunks at full down.... 24" would be needed to get 10% tongue weight... I will need to either move the axles or add one to get the weight right. With the dually I will be able to tow for testing but with about 4-5% tongue weight I will have to keep speed down (only 3 miles to river)

scum2.jpgwinchstand1.jpg winchstand2.jpg

mciaio

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In the second picture, is that a Bobcat 610 in the background?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

indeed it is.....actually took this pic earlier today
bobcatjeep.jpg

No more progress on the boat lately... upon getting it largely assembled I drug it out of the way and started doing a "tuneup" on my dually.... so far the blasted thing has sucked almost $2000 out of my wallet for parts alone....

skargo

Banned

hehe, here's an old pic of my old rig being flexed with some forks...

Image034.sized.jpg