1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo ?'s and build

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo ?'s and build

So on the steering.... do I just pull the second ps pump and put an adjustable tie rod of some sort in to attach to the second drive?

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

That is how it is done on mine.

skargo

Banned

You need a new trailer. Your trailer is rated for 7k and probably weighs 1K itself, and even if your boat is 7200 or so dry, with gear, water, fuel, people, it will be way over 8k, probably approaching 9k. So you'd have 10k on a 7K pound capacity trailer?

Not safe, and illegal, please get a proper trailer and think of those that share the road with you.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

even if your boat is 7200 or so dry, with gear, water, fuel, people, it will be way over 8k, probably approaching 9k. So you'd have 10k on a 7K pound capacity trailer.
so how many people do you load in your boat before hitting the highway?
I have the trailer covered.... it is a whopping 3 miles to the river from my house and I am more than qualified to fabricate as needed or make the determination to purchase another trailer... the boat was hauled home with 2000 lbs of engs trans and drives missing and with no fuel and no water which by all accounts puts it between 5200 lbs and 6200 lbs on a trailer that has axles rated for 7000 lbs. If the sprung weight of the trailer were 1000 lbs then it could possibly be 200 lbs over the weight rating of the axles if it weren't for the 800 lbs of tounge weight carried by the truck...... I promise I have more experience hauling heavy loads than most people you will meet and as I said before I am always safe. I already stated that I will scale the boat and make certain that it sets on a trailer that is up to the task. I resent the implication that I have no reguard for public safety. This thread is about the assembly of a boat and please lets keep it that way.

skargo

Banned

so how many people do you load in your boat before hitting the highway?
I have the trailer covered.... it is a whopping 3 miles to the river from my house and I am more than qualified to fabricate as needed or make the determination to purchase another trailer... the boat was hauled home with 2000 lbs of engs trans and drives missing and with no fuel and no water which by all accounts puts it between 5200 lbs and 6200 lbs on a trailer that has axles rated for 7000 lbs. If the sprung weight of the trailer were 1000 lbs then it could possibly be 200 lbs over the weight rating of the axles if it weren't for the 800 lbs of tounge weight carried by the truck...... I promise I have more experience hauling heavy loads than most people you will meet and as I said before I am always safe. I already stated that I will scale the boat and make certain that it sets on a trailer that is up to the task. I resent the implication that I have no reguard for public safety. This thread is about the assembly of a boat and please lets keep it that way.
OKOKOK, I made a mistake, but since you want to keep it about the assembly of the boat, why did YOU bring up the trailer?

Good luck with your build...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

edited to remove argument

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

OK this is silly.... lets say there was a bit of over reaction on both parts.... I imagine that if the pissing match were put aside we would likely find that we agree...... just know that I am not in that bonehead group you figured me for
thanks for the well wishes on the build and you have a sharp looking boat yourself

skargo

Banned

beer.cheers.JPG

Looking forward to your build!

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

If yall knew the number of times I have ridden in the boat on the trl or others I have let ride-I would be banned from this site:D course I live less than 1/2mile from 6 boat ramps-just don't wave at the officers--- once in Houston
I rode about 20 miles in the bottom of a ski boat- I hope the SOL has past!

I'm looking forward on the up dates!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

here it is in the driveway....... can't wait to see it in the water

Attachments

• montetruck.jpg
    montetruck.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 0

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

That is a big azz boat. Makes the Ford look like a tonka truck.

Bucks45

Petty Officer 1st Class

Smoke...that's a nice looking rig!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

thanks guys..... I'll try to post some more pics next week... I plan to start putting parts onn this weekend... at least one transom assy fridge stove... might set my old genny in.
anyone have a used a/c unit? or a couple CHEAP ENGINES?
i'm thinking about picking up a couple of 86 merc 230's (305's) for a grand with closed cooling and 1700 hours on em they are mie's and one is reverse rotation so would need to be changed... any better deals or better engines?

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

1700 hours is a lot of time on a marine motor. Sounds like the reason they are for sale cheap is someone re-powered because these were warn out. Can you do a compression check on them, and also hear them run. You will probably also want new Manifolds and risers as I would not trust the ones on the motors unless they look real good. If they are tired and you just want cheap power, you could always just replace the rings, hone the cylinder walls and throw a new set of lower bearings and a new oil pump on. Probably under $500.00 in parts and cheap insurance.

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Awesome boat. You are a courageous man.
It will be a world record if you will have the job finished for under 3K.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

thanks guys..... I'll try to post some more pics next week... I plan to start putting parts onn this weekend... at least one transom assy fridge stove... might set my old genny in.
anyone have a used a/c unit? or a couple CHEAP ENGINES?
i'm thinking about picking up a couple of 86 merc 230's (305's) for a grand with closed cooling and 1700 hours on em they are mie's and one is reverse rotation so would need to be changed... any better deals or better engines?

I know that I mentioned this before but "More Power":D . Our sundancer is 30 foot overall in length and ten on the beam, really deep hull, and when you get into a stormy situation, you need that extra power to combat wind and wave, besides the 350 block is the same as the 305 block just different bore and stroke, it will slide right in. :)
rob

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

yeah they are likely tired.... they have closed cooling and he is swapping in diesels to the tune of 35,000 :eek:
I have spoken to the guy a couple times and he seems really straight up and up on his maintenance.... does alot of long distance cruising like 500 miles one way..... He said that the engines still run and perform really well and he said he was getting right at 1 mpg at cruise of about 22mph in his 29' cruiser.. I can talk with the marina folks doing the swap as they did a sea trial specifically to be able to vouch for the engines but I haven't yet. He swears that if it weren't for his desire to have the economy and increased range of the deisels he wouldn't even consider repowering yet. that said i really am bothered about putting in 305's instead of 350's since it will cost me 60 hp and I don't like that many hours which to me equals about 120,000 very hard miles on a car engine.... notice i said hard .... I understand the difference.... but while some minty fresh 260's would be nice I haven't found any for this kind of money yet and I just don't have the time or space to build my own right now..... I'm sure that eventually I would be swapping them out for some treefitties though.....

Hopefully the tie bar works out.... as long as it hooks up right.... If I have too I can do some cutting bending and welding if I have the right ends and the adjustable part