1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo ?'s and build

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo ?'s and build

I scored 4 good tires n rims for the trailer today for $200 sooo that gives me 4 crappy spares that come off of it...

gonna have her off of the trailer tomorrow and likely make a 2000 mile round trip to get the parts boat in a week.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I've started pulling the parts boat apart and installing parts in my boat.
059.jpg068.jpg069.jpg

This cabinet is from the donor... I forgot to take a before pic but I'll get one of the other side before I put that one in.... This will be slower progress than I usually make because I am recovering from half a dozen broken ribs and torn intercostal muscles from a couple weeks ago but as usual will post as I go.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry to hear about the ribs, doesn't sound fun when working on a boat is painful enough in perfect health.

Glad to see the boat made it back. What was wrong with it that the owner said its not sea worthy any more?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Was out of town for a couple days... the hull was just beat up and tired... chips and spider cracks in the gelcoat from minor collisions... stripes faded and chalky... cockpit side panels had recent vinyl but rotten wood... He had started fixing it up and lost interest... He sold the engine and drive and then sold the boat to me as he felt it wasn't worth the work.. I briefly considered putting it together but I wanted all the good stuff for my boat and it wouldn't have sold for enough to warrant the work involved and the expense of a drivetrain.

Honestly before stripping, she could have been brightened up but she's 'Bantha fodder' now.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Well I've been nearly worthless for right at two months but all whining aside I'm starting to get around pretty good again and as long as I'm careful I am managing to claw my way into forward progress.

I forgot the before pic of the other side too but now both cabinets are in and the shelf'n'fence forward of each is in place.. still need to decide on upper side trim in front of cabinets and curtains or not.

My original setup had one breaker on the 110 panel labeled lights/outlets.. The parts boat had cabin lights, outlets port, and outlets starboard. I separated the three circuits and installed the other two breakers and added the correct labels. Now if at some point I want to run a couple space heaters I can with no problem.
Also the new v berth cabinets have outlets in the front which I still need to wire up and I'll be adding one to the back of the port cabinet which will be right next to the storage shelf along the dinette.

The stove in the parts boat is REALLY nice and fit in my cutout perfectly. The fridge hasn't been swapped yet but is in nicer condition than my existing one. I have salvaged about 8 or so single bulb florescent lights and I pulled the inverter n auto transfer switch out of the donor but haven't installed yet.

I tested the head systems and all are in prefect condition.... very clean too thankfully... maybe never even used. Haven't pulled em out yet tho.

I will be removing one of my wet mufflers for the genny (should only have one any how) and a battery location in the right front corner of the eng room to make room for the holding tank and will relocate the other genny muffler to make it easier to access for winterizing.

I am considering mounting the stainless radar arch above and slightly behind the existing glass arch... then I can remove all hardware from the glass arch and use it only to mount canvas, speakers and interior lighting... will have to do a test mock up to see if it looks stupid.

Looks like I MAY be working a trade for newer 16k A/C unit... that would be a very welcome upgrade as the 10k doesn't quite keep up when temps hit 90 plus.

This week I started installing the new poly planar stereo and routing wires to the dash for the control head... I also removed the factory "couch turns into a bed' thing from the aft cabin and put a twin mattress in it's place... the couch was a neat idea but unless you are less than 5 feet tall you couldn't sit upright on it and a simple mattress is WAY better for sleeping.

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class

Damn Smoke, Great rebuild and write up. I read every page. I really enjoy project threads and project for that matter. You did and do good work. I'm looking forward to the next chapter!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Thanks cs... been a great project... would'a been a lot easier with a looser checkbook but as it is I think it has turned out fine.

DXN

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice man! I read your whole thread, you really pulled it off! I would love a boat that size but I never really entertained the thought because I didn't want to lust for something that was so far out of reach. LOL Like the pretty girl that you know is out of your league. Now I'm thinking maybe...just maybe there is a chance for me too :laugh:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Thanks man.... It has to be a labor of love tho or it can get overwhelming..... I can't even guess how many hours I spent looking at craigs list... a 2-6 hours a day for close to a year! but it CAN be done

A shorter tho slightly more expensive route would be to find a complete boat with bad engines and in need of some neglected maintenance.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Well I finally ripped the carpet out that was on the dash... it was falling apart and really starting to look bad.... Started to shop for carpet but all I can find so far is designed to be glued in... I intend to bind and snap it in... at some point I'll knuckle down and find some.

I forgot to mention that the parts boat was stripped of everything I needed and is now a club house for my buddy's daughter.

mid summer I bought 2 new lower shift cables and the special socket to change em and she developed a leak in a gimbal hinge pin seal so that has to come apart but that will be a project for next year as due to a neck injury I ended the season a little early this year.

I'm mostly recovered now but It's just soooo hard to get motivated when temps have to get so MUCH colder before they start getting warmer again.