16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

Ehhh...guess I will go out and do some more welding....have I mentioned I hate welding upside down????? I do have the other side tacked up now....hmmm maybe I will play with working on mocking the seating up...that sounds like more fun than welding!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

archbuilder,
Nice work.
I wish I had a welder, and the welding skills to go with it.
Oh well, I guess I'll stick to wood. :D
Great job, looks great.
Bob

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

wow the metal you 're using for some of this stuff looks like its Tank Armor!

really cool!

The bowstop/winch bracket design you made is excellent! :D

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Oh, come on archbuilder welding overhead is so much fun. With sparks and slag falling in any place you dont want it usually down your sleeves or in your shoe, And then the sunburn and even weldiong flash its the greatest. lol. I know always wear tight cloathes, leather, boots, gloves, and a Hood. But I used to run a muffler shop and welding every day these things still happen. Just do your best to be careful.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Bob you should get a little MIG and gas for shielding.....it isn't as hard as you would think....just takes a little practice. By the way, if anyone is wondering, insulated shirts don't stop hot slag, lol!

I am really pumped, the trailer is starting to look like something! I was just thinking....less than 5 months till boating season....need to kick it in gear! I should be getting the tower of power in a few weeks (took the mock-up motor back)....I can't wait to get some paint on the boat...

hmmm I wonder if David K would believe me if I told him the plasma just disappeared??? :) Need to get one of those....

Anyone have suggestions for naming the boat? My Sea Ray is named Punch List.....architectural of course! If I can get Bob or Frisco to give me their credit card info, I will even give a free trip away to the person with the best name! LOL!

Thanks for all the comments, hopefully my post will help someone else who is in the same "boat" so to speak!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Bob, nice wood working by the way! I just saw the link on your signature today. I have a lot of wood working projects....need to get the boat out of the way! I have about 150 board feet of black walnut from here on my property. I had it swan up after the ice storm we had two years ago....some of it is 2' wide.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

archbuilder,
Ah man, I would love to get my hands on that.
I don't have much walnut on my property at all. I do have a lot of Hickory, Ash, Oak and some Maple. :cool:
I work on the wood projects when it's to bad or dark to go outside.
I'm still trying to clean up from the Ice storm we had last winter.
I have had seven big fires already and have two more ready and have only got about 1/3 of it done. :(
I have several other wood projects going to, but they are on the back, way back burner for now.
Bob

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

insulated shirts don't stop hot slag, lol!

No, but they can catch on fire very easily and create a nice hot melted plastic goo that sticks to your skin. I cannot tell you how many times I thought I was wearing cotton but was actually wearing some sort of plastic insulated flanel. It usually starts with me thinking that this rod is burning a little hotter then normal, why is the heat on my back? WOW, look at that I am on fire and this really sucks. :) Be very careful with non leather or non cotton clothing products when welding. :)

That plasma is awesome. I was able to use a MIller very similar to that last month and want one bad.

joey maneri

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I own an early 70s cee bee avenger and man your boat and mine look like they came out of the same mold. The main diff is the deck on yours is flat. This boat was also made in california

Attachments

• 93230022.jpg
    93230022.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 0

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I own an early 70s cee bee avenger and man your boat and mine look like they came out of the same mold. The main diff is the deck on yours is flat. This boat was also made in california
COOL! Thanks for the pic! Do you have one of the side, right behind the dash? Mine has a pretty distinct "drop" where you would rest your arm. The front of the keel also drops down, unlike a lot of them I have seen....most of them are flat and angular.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Wow that looks a lot like mine.......I would love to see more pics

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Ok so after I got the other fender tacked together, I cleaned up and put David K?s plasma up?..hmm maybe Santa will bring one huh? I started working on the seat layout?.finally I started cutting up plywood and nailing it together?followed by a work out kind of like I see the ladies at the Y do?think it?s called the rumba or something?.you sit down?move something?then?. you sit down?move something?.then?.. you sit down?move something?anyhow after several rounds of that I was feeling kind of warm?..then I thought about what System-F said??AHHHAHHHH I?m on fire! Ooppps, not really it was just the heater I invested in! Seriously, if you need a heater, this is the one! Northerntool.com??.awesome heater for under $600.

IMG_2692.jpg

I did make some progress?..but I?m not sure it looks like progress?.just a bunch of blocks and plywood frames! Well you have to start somewhere!

joey maneri

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Its allmost identical exept the deck. this is the best pic I could find to show the drop in the gunwale. this boat has come a long way since this pic. Im going to try to start my own thread on the progres. Its hard cause I spend more time working on the boat than sitting on my but typing away on iboats.

Attachments

• 93230010.jpg
    93230010.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 0

TheLostCause

Cadet

The trailer looks awsome! I love the step idea. We were thinking about something like that but we got to work on the plans a little more.

I wish we had a heater in our shop (the garadge) but for now i guess all we can do is crank up the heat in the house and hope it makes it into the garadge. It is starting to get very cold.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Lostcause
A great very cheap heater for your garage is available at walmart. They just clamp on top of a propane tank and have 1 or 2 burners. they are about
$80 and work great.

erikgreen

Captain

If you want to weld, take a short class and buy an inexpensive (not dirt cheap, inexpensive) MIG welder. These are wire feed.. all you do is pull the trigger and direct the weld, the wire feeds in and is consumed, creating a metal joint.

You still need to learn about how to clean metal, welding hazards, warping due to heat, and a ton of other things, but as far as welding technique itself if you can run a hot glue gun you can run a MIG welder.

I find it's even simpler than stick welding myself.

Erik

BobsGlasstream

Commander

erikgreen Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to weld, take a short class and buy an inexpensive (not dirt cheap, inexpensive) MIG welder. These are wire feed.. all you do is pull the trigger and direct the weld, the wire feeds in and is consumed, creating a metal joint.
I have actually been thinking about buying one. That is one thing I don't know much about. :redface:
I have done some stick welding many, many, many years ago.
I don't even know what to buy but I will look for a class in my area.
Thanks
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

How is that heater plumbed? LP?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

You should get one Bob, MIG is much more forgiving than a stick. Like anything else it is practice and taking the time to understand the physics involved.

The heater is LP, but you can get in in a natural gas version also. I have the 75,000 BTU model, but they make a 45,000 BTU model also. It doesn't make very much noise at all. I had a "cannon heater" like you see at football games. Two things I didn't like about it.

1. It exhaust into the room.
2. One of the major by products (plus carbon monoxide) is water when you burn propane. Makes the humidity level go up...bad for wood working, and you actually need it warmer to "feel warm".

The vented heaters are the way to go if you can come up with the $$$. The thermostat is nice too. David K came by tonight and we discussed the project (while enjoying the heater). He came up with a cool idea on the seating....I'll work on mocking it up and getting some photos posted!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

archbuilder,
archbuilder Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You should get one Bob, MIG is much more forgiving than a stick. Like anything else it is practice and taking the time to understand the physics involved.
I may just do that I could use one around her for other projects. But I don't have a clue what to get. I will have to talk to some of the guys at work and do some research.
Glad your keeping warm. You need to stay warm and keep working to feed us pic's. :D:D
Thanks again
Bob