16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

Here is a quick post. This is the cart I built for the next phase of the work. Once I finish up the work on the trailer (I'll be posting that next), I'll be flipping the boat. (I'll have to lure friends over with, "hey come by the shop and have a beer....um yeah we are just hanging out....oh by the way, since you are here.....lets flip the hull") The cart will let me push the boat out of the shop when I need to prime it. Just need to add some carpet to the boards for padding.

boatcart.jpg

bacafrog

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cool idea on the cart. My buddys place in Eufaula is around the South-East end. My family use to own a place over in the North-East side, but when my Great-Grandfather passed away they ended up selling it. My whole family practically grew up on that lake.

Keep up the good work. I am waiting to see how the interior work will go with all the ingenuity you have shown so far.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Frog,

This is where my place is....not too sure how well it will read, but the dam is in the lower right side. The "cut" or "island" is below where it says Mud Creek.

mapiboats.jpg

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Maybe System-f and clockwatcher will come up too

If there are any spots on the lake that have smooth water I am there. I have always wanted to go to Texoma. I also want to make it back to Lake Murray.

Friscoboater

Captain

There are tons of coves with smooth water. It is alot different from lakes we have around here.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Sounds great to me....now all I have to do is get the boat done! My friend David K came over last night and we spent some time kicking around some ideas. Coming up with a seating arrangement that I'm happy with has been a challenge. I think we came up with something last night. Now all I need is to find someone who can sew it! I also decided to make my bunk boards longer.....so a little more trailer work before I flip the boat.

bacafrog

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know a guy here in Oklahoma City that does upholstery. From the work I have seen him do his is one of the best in the state. I plan on having him help me with my boat when I decided to redo my interior. Generally he redoes car interiors, but I believe he can do boats as well. I will look his info up if you are interested. If nothing else I think he can give you some pointers on how to do it.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

First off- What an excellent job with everything! I was particularly interested in the transom 're-do' as I plan on using sea-cast as well. (I might even go with Nida-Bond; little cheaper and hopefully same quality!) You can also thank boglasstream for guiding me to your post;)
I am currently in the rebuild stage of my mark twain (thread is Mark Twain Rebuild!!) I ran into the same problem with not having an inner skin and with sea-cast an inner skin is obviously necessary! I read over the section in your thread where you did the transom. Being an amatuer boat restorer I was hoping you would make sure I am on the right track...These are the general steps I got out of what you did:
1. Design a cardboard template of the inner skin.
2. Using the template, lay-up 4 layers of mat on a sheet of Formica.
3. Once dry, pop the mat off the Formica and trim to proper size.
4. Attach spacers to inner skin so that the transom will be even thickness everywhere.
5. Attach inner skin to outer skin via spacers and epoxy and let dry.
6. Once dry, tab into place via mat and glass.

Does it sound like what you did?
Again, A++ Job:D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

First off- What an excellent job with everything! I was particularly interested in the transom 're-do' as I plan on using sea-cast as well. (I might even go with Nida-Bond; little cheaper and hopefully same quality!) You can also thank boglasstream for guiding me to your post;)
I am currently in the rebuild stage of my mark twain (thread is Mark Twain Rebuild!!) I ran into the same problem with not having an inner skin and with sea-cast an inner skin is obviously necessary! I read over the section in your thread where you did the transom. Being an amatuer boat restorer I was hoping you would make sure I am on the right track...These are the general steps I got out of what you did:
1. Design a cardboard template of the inner skin.
2. Using the template, lay-up 4 layers of mat on a sheet of Formica.
3. Once dry, pop the mat off the Formica and trim to proper size.
4. Attach spacers to inner skin so that the transom will be even thickness everywhere.
5. Attach inner skin to outer skin via spacers and epoxy and let dry.
6. Once dry, tab into place via mat and glass.

Does it sound like what you did?
Again, A++ Job:D

Thanks for the complement! Sounds like you petty much have it right. A couple of notes, I used a "gloss" Formica. It has a shinny surface, unlike most Formica. I got mine from a cabinet contractor I work with, it was a left over from a project he gave me for free. The regular Formica will probably work, but the gloss worked great!

Also the seacast spacers would probably be the easiest way to go. I have heard of he Nida-bond, but don't know anything about it. Glad I could help. if you have any other questions just ask!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks Frog, pass on his info when you get a chance.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks archbuilder-
I am really excited about getting this transom together! (Thank the lord above for a heated shop:D)
A correction on my behalf- I must have mis-read the price list for nida-bond: the price for one gallon of seacast is $82.30 and the price for one gallon of nida-bond is $131.89 :eek::eek: a $42.59 difference :eek::eek:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks archbuilder-
I am really excited about getting this transom together! (Thank the lord above for a heated shop:D)
A correction on my behalf- I must have mis-read the price list for nida-bond: the price for one gallon of seacast is $82.30 and the price for one gallon of nida-bond is $131.89 :eek::eek: a $42.59 difference :eek::eek:

I had to sit down when I paid for the seacast, but now I'm really glad I did! One other though, I glued the formica down so that it would be flat....it has a tendency to curl up if it isn't glued to something.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

I had to sit down when I paid for the seacast, but now I'm really glad I did! One other though, I glued the formica down so that it would be flat....it has a tendency to curl up if it isn't glued to something.

I will be sure to take both pieces of advice!:D
When I place the order for seacast, I will have somebody other than myself hit 'confirm order' :eek:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Time for an update...by the way I hate winter, its 20 right now:mad:

One of the main reasons I wanted to get a motor on the boat was so that I could figure out where the axle should be located. The trailer had an "adjustable" set up were the axle could be move from front to back or vice-versa. I wanted to permanently weld the axle to the trailer, then add new fenders and steps. A couple of things about this shot, the axle is tac welded to the angle, which is bolted to the frame. Yes, that is a new axle and springs...I added that early last summer after 86ing the old set up. Notice the masking tape, I used that as a "clean" place to mark some references.

IMG_2626.jpg

Next I marked front and back of the two shackle brackets on the masking tape for reference. Supported the trailer on stands, then placed a jack under one side of the axle. With the jack supporting the axle, I cut the tack welds loose. Once it was free of the axle, I slid the angle out.

IMG_2624.jpg

After that it was just a matter of aligning the brackets with the reference marks and welding it up. Then repeating on the other side.

IMG_2627.jpg

Next time we will show you how to make a fruit cake out of left-over hardened resin!

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

resin fruit cake wow wont that be softer than normal fruitcake? lol doing great cant wait to see more.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Nah, we are using chunks of cast iron for the fruit! Maybe we could have some dust shipped in from the novel length project across the boarder up north? It would work great for "flour"! :)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here was the next step on the trailer. I started by trying to figure out where the fender needed to be in reference to the wheel. That took some time measuring and some really complex alignment tools...concrete blocks and wood blocks, lol!

IMG_2617.jpg

Here is a shot of some of the precut parts

IMG_2644.jpg

Once I had the fender where I wanted it, I tack welded the 1/4" x 2" bar that it would hold it in place. It ended up being at an odd angle, so I had to clamp it to the fender while I welded it. Next I tacked the 2"x2" angle in place in front of it. Once that was done, I tacked the 3/16" by 2-1/2" bar in place.

IMG_2645.jpg

I wanted to bend the 3/16" x 2-1/2" bar back into the side of the trailer channels. Making a crisp bend can be easier said than done. I have made a couple that qualify more as "curves" than crisp bends. I clamped some scrap angel and tube to the bar to "brace" it while I bent it. Once I had the braces in place I heated it up where I wanted the bend.....nothing like a little oxy / act to make things glow orange!

IMG_2646.jpg

Here is a shot with everything tacked up. I more or less repeated the process on the back side, minus the bend.

IMG_2648.jpg

The front looks like its bent down, but that is because of the curve of the frame. It's actually strait.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

looking pretty good.
No shop should be without those high tech. assembly braces. :p.
What are you planning for the topside of the steps.
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I really like the Large steps you are building. Mine has steps smaller than your foot and when getting out you hang there feeling for the step. I love my torches and remember "if you cant be good with a welder, Be good with a grinder"

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Skibum I like that phase, been there done that with the grinder! There are some days when you just can't seem to get the welder on your side! I really like the big steps.....they make it so easy to get in and out of it already. Bob I'm planning on adding plywood with carpet on it for the steps. The lake I go to has a lot of sand, and the carpet makes a good "door mat" that keeps some of it out of the boat. My Sea Ray has steel checker plate steps...nice idea, but still slicker than snot!