16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

Bobby,

here's a quick layout I did for a livewell set up could be altered for use as a built in cooler....the foam is that white stuff for garage doors that you can get for cheap at homedepot lowes etc....it IS the mold plus it insulates...double duty! filet the inside corners with bondo or somethinig similar and it might not be too bad to fiberglass in. Might be kinda ugly inside....but the beers dont care!

livewell.jpg

Sure would be fun to down some brews and catch some fish with you fellas over in OK....long drive tho!

Sweet job on the old bench! dang where'd ya get the hickory! Here in vegas you're lucky if you can get oak!

Happy Holidays!

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good looking bench. I's like to get into combining metal with wood. They go together well.

I just want to say "What a bunch of guys!"

I hope all of you are enjoying Christmas Eve and have a better Christmas Morn. It's Family time!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks Mitch, hopefully I can get it to his house tomorrow.....this is what it looked like this morning....I just waded through 18" of snow to get back to the house from the shop! I have some drifts that are 4' tall, just read that the highways are "closed"....hmmm good thing Santa is set up for the snow huh?

IMG_2780.jpg

Mick you will be happy, I got close to finishing the trailer today! I got the last of the steps cut out, routered and bolted on!

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

I also took the fenders back off, put some more bondo on the left one.....then ground down the right one and put duraglass on it.

So now I'm down to these things on the trailer for now:

1. Finish the body work on the fenders....this should take the longest of what I have left.
2. Mount the roller on the back of the trailer. I just need the hardware and that shouldn't take 10 minutes.
3. Drill all the holes for the wiring...I can see that taking a couple of hours.
4. Install wire management system...still working on that one. I may check to see what I can get some thin wall 3/8" stainless for....sounds $$$.
5. Cap the ends of the "tube" at the front of the trailer....sounds like a great place for wasp to hang out...
6. I'm still undecided on what to do about this if anything. I'm worried about missing the keel roller and having the bow hit the cross bar.

IMG_2786.jpg

Of course now that I lengthened the bunks, I don't think it will be as likely to happen. David K suggested adding a bracket and two boards that make a "V". He has that on one of his ski boats. I'm starting to think I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill. What do you guys think?

Hope you guys have a great Christmas!

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Merry Christmas archbuilder! The bench looks awesome! I'm sure your dads gonna love it! I love hickory- you got any closeups of the wood??!! We are looking for land to build our dream house on and 5 1/4" hickory is my dream floor!
Mick

BobsGlasstream

Commander

archbuilder,
Ya no that white stuff is a drag. :p
I love the bench, and hickory is one of my favorite woods. All the cabinets in my house are Hickory.
My property has a lot of Oak and Hickory on it too. Fact is, one of my projects over the next couple years is to build or bye a band saw sawmill so I can make stuff out of my own wood. :cool:
Well, I hope you have a safe and Merry Christmas.
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I'll see if I can get a close up shot. I cut those boards out of a 12" wide piece. Merry Christmas!

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Boy that trailer will look REAL slick once you get her all painted up!

and BOB...I bet you get the GRIZZLY :DHome Sawmill brochures! I know I do lol

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I have 150 B.F. of Black Walnut that I had swan up at a local band saw mill. Very cool set up. The Walnut was from ice damage from a bad storm we had 2 years ago. The guy looked at me kind of funny when I said, no that's a branch, not a trunk. The tree it came from is 14'-6" in circumference at the "waist line". I have a pecan that is 17'-0" at the waist line!

Hope you guys are having a great Christmas, I have spent most of mine on the tractor clearing my drive, my parents and my neighbors! Got to love white Christmas's! :D

micks110

We just got home and got the kids to bed after two days of running around like crazy to visit everyone!
I am going out to the boat now to take some measurements for the fiberglass. I am going to run tomorrow to the boat store and pic up supplies to start glassing before the seacast gets here.
The trailer looks awesome. To answer your question about the keel hitting the cross bar- prob. not going to happen but remember- don't do anything you are going to regret later. So if you need to add a roller or something- do it now before you paint!

Mick

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I hope everyone had a great Christmas! Here is what I woke up to!

snow.jpg

I did head out to the shop this evening and tinkered with the boat. I got a lot done on the fender body work....I think I should have the top side of them ready for primer tomorrow.

fenders.jpg

Here is my "snow shovel" and transportation to the shop!

tractor.jpg

I also have to say if anyone needs an air compressor, this is the one....this is the "tower of power" of air compressors! Almost 19 CFM at 90 psi.... I can't say enough about it....and its made in the USA!

aircomp.jpg

While I was waiting for the bondo to set up I started playing with a stripe scheme....just a quick thought, any comments?

stripe.jpg

Well tomorrow looks like a full day of boat rebuilding!

micks110

archbuilder- I like the stripe scheme you have on the boat. I'm sure there may be some minor modifications along the way but what you got so far looks sweet.
It's also nice to hear that you will be back to the boat tomorrow;)
Mick

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe considder rounding the corners of where the stripe gets wider. just something to try. I like that its not just a streight line.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

archbuilder,
I assume that it will be solid inside the tape line.
I like the idea of rolling it over to the cap that way and I like SKIBUM1M's idea too of rounding the corners.
One more thought for you too, is on my boat, the original color scheme was similar to what you are doing but they put some graphics toward the back inside the stripe, Kinda modified rectangles moving forward with each one getting smaller. I'm not sure if I explained it right but it looked pretty cool, and I plan something similar myself.
Just another thought.
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the ideas guys. By the way I'm drinking coffee and looking at snow.....ok enough of that....I want warm weather! I like setting on my deck at the lake enjoying a 70 degree morning much better!

On the space where the stripe goes wider.....I want to put NESCHER on it. I got the idea after looking at Vegas's Sleek. Bruce Nescher was the founder of sleekcraft, and designed my boat. From what I can tell, mine is from the period before he started Sleekcraft. Regardless, I thought it important to pay homage to the builder.

Well today I have more fender sanding on the schedule....yeah! :D

BobsGlasstream

Commander

archbuilder,
Stop drinking coffee, and get to the shop. :D
Hey , I like your little tractor, I have one similar to it, Mine is a Kioti tho.
As for the winter thing, I'm just ignoring it hoping it goes away. :p
Bob

Friscoboater

Captain

Man that snow is pretty for about 5 minutes right? I would much rather it be 70 degrees and be packing up the boat for a day at the lake.

Hope you had a Merry Merry.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Yeah, nothing like 14" of snow to make you wish for summer! I spent most of yesterday working on the fenders.....spread bondo, sand, spread bondo, sand....yeah! They are getting pretty close to needing some primer. Hopefully I might get them shot today.

I also played with the cooler / seat set up some. I'm going to work on that some today in between sanding and spreading! On the cooler, I think I'm going to build a mold out of MDF and bondo. Yes, of course I'm going to do it the hard way......but it should look really cool huh? I can hear it at the beach already, "wow did you see the inside of his ice chest, looks really cool huh?" I think if I get the MDF sanded down and slicked up with primer, it should make a pretty smooth finish. Can anyone tell me if you can brush on gel coat? I suppose I could buy a gun, but it seems like a lot of $$ to spend on building an ice chest! I would like to have the gel coat if I'm going to all this trouble! I'm assuming an automotive primer would work fine on the mold?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Does anyone have any ideas on a pump to drain the ice chest? I could drain it into the bilge, but that doesn't seem right for some reason....don't ask me why. Besides, wouldn't it be cool to have a switch on the dash labeled "ice chest"? I wonder if one of those live well pumps would work?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Depends on how often you want to drain the chest.

A livewell in many boats are drained by gravity and the push/pull switch just opens/closes a valve.

You could plumb it to a new drain in the transom and just install a ball valve inline.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I thought about just using a gravity drain, but I think I will need to drain the water out of the ice chest a couple of times on long weekends. I think the bottom of the chest will be lower than the water the boat is floating in. I really don't want lake water in the ice chest! I guess I just need a simple 12v inline pump.

I think I may have figured out the trailer wire management thing......I'll let you know if it works or not tonight!