Restoring a Starcraft '66 Nassau

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Restoring a Starcraft '66 Nassau

I hope she floats~!:D No pun indended to Hopeshefloats.

tgp***

Thanks CheapBoat. My daughter gets her good looks from, not me.:D

I noticed there's a starchief for sale down by you in sunny Florida. I thought you would have bought it by now.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

tgp***,
Sweet looking craft, nice pose from the young lady too. :cool:
very cool.
Bob

sprintst

Commander

Damn man. Do you have a time machine :)

tgp***

Any, takers on the question, Rubber bushings for the tilt assist shocks, and where to find them. Mine are pretty bad. Will automotive shock absorber bushings work?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Beautiful. That windshield looks great! I had to use little 8" pedetals in my SS. On my Jupiter I think I had 10" seat bases and I did sit above the windshield.

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great looking boat. I would be happy if mine looked half that good when I get done and can't wait to see your boat splashed.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Tgp, try and look at a custom truck store. There are bushings of evry type there. Great looking boat. Don't forget the video when you splash. Good luck

tgp***

Thanks for info on the bushings fshnho.

New question, I picked up an older top and frame for the boat. The top is in good shape, but fade and stained (it even has starcraft written on a lable:D). The top appears to be some type of coated canvas. Is this vinyl? and can I use vinyl dye on it to brighten it up? or vinyl coating? There seems to be products out there, but I'm not sure which to use. I found an old thread from a few years ago but it was not much help.

Thanks

tgp***

SPLASH!!>:D

I'm not done withe boat yet, I have a few things left to do but its hard to time lately to get things done. Took the boat out for a test run anyway. I figured I better see if it floats. Sorry about poor qaulity of the video, something wrong with the camera possibly, it has a purple streak in it.

I found out that its hard to drive and operate the camera at the same time. so no WOT film . At WOT you need to hold on with both hands because it flies with the 650 Merc. Next time out I'll bring along a first mate.

It had a little water in the bilge when I was done, not sure where it came from. I checked it several time during the excursion and it was dry. It was not much, no more than my 95' Smokercraft had after driving, so all is ok I guess/ Maybe all WOT driving splashed some in some where??

Thanks to everyone for all your guidance and encouragement.
http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/tgp---/1966%20Starcraft%20Nassau/?action=view&current=100_2005.mp4

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Another Starcraft in the water! Big congrats!! Way to go!:D

fshngho

Lieutenant

Congrats TGP! May you have smooth waters and wild fishing. Enjoy the boat!

tgp***

Thanks fshnho and jasoutside, much appreciated.

However, I'm not quite done with the restore just yet, the motor needs a couple things yet, like bushings for the tilt assist shocks. I have a top I picked up for $50 from SS16 (70's), to retro fit, its too wide for my Nassau. I looking into using vinyl dye to brighten it up.

Maybe some tunes for the ride will be added.

Anyone know how do you tell if your tilt assist shocks are bad and need replacing? Motor seems hard to lift, I would think that would a good indicator, but even w/ tilt assist shocks that motor must go around 300 pounds, I would think. So, its not going to be an easy lift anyway unless your standing on the ground behind the boat.

Any tips on testing the shocks when I change out the bushings?

And last, because I only ran this maybe an hour for testing, with all new lower unit oil. I should'nt need to change it for the winter with just an hour of run time should I?

I wish I had finished it sooner, man... she flies! I need to find someone with GPS so I know how fast she goes. Next year!

fshngho

Lieutenant

Sorry Bro but I ain't no use on the shocks.:redface: Leave the lower unit alone. As long as its full, so no water (condensation) can accumulate in it then its ready for winter & boating.;)
Save your money and get a GPS instead of a radio. You can listen to music on the way to/from the launch. Enjoy nature instead on the boat. LOL:D

tgp***

Sorry Bro but I ain't no use on the shocks.:redface:

There's gotta be a way, or place, for those tilt assist shocks. I suppose I see if I can find a power T&T for it. Did they even make one for that model in 1967? I'll check motor forum agin.

iboats is the greatest place for info.

Huron Angler

Admiral

tgp the rig looks great out on the water:) Glad to see you getting a chance to splash the old beauty.

Is your Merc 650 an inline 4? My '72 Merc 800 is inline 4 and weighs around 240lbs, maybe it weighs less than you think?

I use a CMC hydraulic tilt bracket for my old motor, although they did make power TnT for mine originally. I've used the boat a couple times with manual tilt and it was not that much fun(when my relays got wet).

lakelover

Rear Admiral

A pretty good video, steadier than most. My camera does the same thing, it happens when you shoot into a light source, or have an unusually bright object in your scene. I don't know why but I've read that its typical of my camera anyway (Nikon P5000). Is that a video camera or a still camera that also shoots video?

Nice looking boat, congrats on getting in the water.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Just saw the vid...LOVE IT..That Merc looks great..Boat looks great!
Looked like a fabulous day to be out on the water

CONGRATZ

Status
Not open for further replies.