Restoring a Starcraft '66 Nassau

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Restoring a Starcraft '66 Nassau

Does anyone know how much room side to side is needed to install a teleflex rack? (that black bar that the cable is attached to, that would go behind the dash).

Or do most use people use the rotary.. I'm considering a used rack on Ebay to replace my cable and pulley. I was not able to find the info on the Teleflex website. Its possible I was looking in the wrong place. But does 28 inches sound right? 14 inches each side?

Thanks

bananaboater

Ensign

On my Jet I have one like you are describing and it is smaller than your boat. If you need me to I can go out and measure it. Let me know.

Albert

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Alls I can tell you is I put a new teleflex rack system in the Jupiter and had no issues with room.

tgp***

Thanks guys. No rush, I was under the bow today doing some fitting on the deck, measuring for seats, when I stuck the steering wheel in the hole and sat on a plastic milk crate to test for seat height (perfect height)... I thought, wow, this is going to turn out ok when I'm done....some day...., then I thought maybe I should consider steering system for the ol'boat... if I can find a used one cheap enough. Surprisingly those steering systems seem to fetch pretty good money even for used ones on ebay.

The more pressing issues right now are, gluvit which I picked up yesterday (now that the weather is begining to warm up). Also the deck, it seems that the bow piece does not quite fit right. I made the cut outs for the ends of the ribs a little too big, so it does not match up with the rest of the deck, it sits a little lower and there is a gap to where I don't think I can't make a good connection with the rivet to the rib. So I will go pick a another 4'x4' sheet and cut a new one I guess. I thought about aluminum angle stock across the rib ends but thats more exspensive than the wood so new piece of wood it is.

I'm also working on a compact, under dash, floor console for the F-finder, adult beverage holders, and maybe some swithes too. I will be posting a photo of that soon, I hope. I did a rough prototype today out of carbord. Needs more fine tuning though.

enough rambling...

Thanks again guys'

Last edited:

tgp***

I recieved my last 2 pedestals today from the Springfield Sractch and Dent Store (this place has great deals! $25/each for the Explorer Pedestal w/ Swivel seat mounts). The seats are from the Sportsman's Guide, Action brand Tidewater folding seat $27/each if you ordered 4 or more> so all in all, $52/ each for pedestal w/ swivel seat (plus shipping) is a pretty good deal I thought.

I'm looking for ideas on seat height and placement. What was the original seat hieght above the deck in the Nassau (I'm thinking of trimming down the pedestals an inch or two, the seat looks high visualy), does anyone know or have the original seating still in there's??

I will have four pedestals w/folding seats that swivel. I'm curious as to how other people have done seating thier arangements? Any photo's would be appreciated.

Thanks

100_1841.jpg

tgp***

Its been awhile, but I got finally got to work on the boat. So here are some photo's. I know its been awhile. So little time, so much to do.

One question. What do I use to make the seal and gasket between the transom and spashwell> It originall had a thin gasket between the flange and wood transom and a hard red sealant at the exposed seam.
100_1848.jpg

Black vinyl dash board
100_1844.jpg

New white vinyl side panels
100_1847.jpg

Combo photo
100_1845.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks great! Love the black and white.

tgp***

I thought I would show my vinyl emblem that is on the way. I copied the Starcraft with arrow from one of the old brochures and had a decal shop (that does boat lettering and registration numbers) vector map it.

My decal will be 3 inches tall by 24 inches long in white, it should look good on the black boat. I'll let you all know how it looks when it arrives.:D

Last edited:

tgp***

I thought I should update the retore w/some photos. I was able to make some progress recently but that progress will be short lived, work is picking up and I'm about to go on vacation to Siesta Key Florida (can't wait, I need a vacation).

New Dash...
100_1852.jpg
[/IMG]
Interior and Splashwell are in....
100_1853.jpg

Rubrail and Endcaps are on..
100_1856.jpg

Drain Tubes and Transom plate are done...
100_1854.jpg
[/IMG]

Next up deciding what to do about steering and electrical, and rehabing the trailer. If I'm lucky I should be able splash it next spring.

sprintst

Commander

Wow is right. It would be a shame to get that thing wet. It look too good :)

It's good that your are taking your time as it will be perfect as long as it is not rushed. No need to compromise now.

tgp***

Its been a while since I posted an update. Have not gotten much done , been busy. But here is the lastest, Steering wheel restored using JB Weld to fill the cacks and chipped out pieces, finished w/ Rustoleum Plastic Primer and Rustoleum Plastic paint. I'm pleased w/ the results, we'll see if it holds up (when I get it finished :rolleyes:).
100_1872.jpg

Trailer's been painted too....
100_1876.jpg

Working on electrical, and ordering parts. Repaired the socket on my stern light, and looking for a lens,
100_1885.jpg

Retro fitting a windshield that not made for the curve in the bow is a challange, I've put that on hold, after three failures aready. Other than that, its a project. Hopefully will get to the outboard motor someday.

http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/tgp---/1966%20Starcraft%20Nassau/

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Boat is looking awesome. What's up with the windshield? It looked like it came with a pretty sweet one, similar to the one I retrofitting my Jupiter with.

tgp***

Boat is looking awesome. What's up with the windshield? It looked like it came with a pretty sweet one, similar to the one I retrofitting my Jupiter with.

Yes, it is a fairly decent windshield. A Taylormade at that, but here's the issue.
There is about a 1 3/4 inch gap at both ends, because of the curved bow.
Plus where the wing braces end at the bottom also leaves an unfinished look.
100_1886.jpg

Photo of both the bottom of the windshield and wing brace w/ gap.
100_1887.jpg

I found a substitute rubber gasket (garage door seal) to substitute as seal between the bow and the windshield,
but, I have not found a away to fill the gap and still have it look good. I'm going to look at some aluminum channel,
maybe I find a way to get that curve cut into the channel, then use that to mount it through.

Any idea's?

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You could build a wooden form that fit the curvature of your boat and then attach the windshield to it. White Oak is very water resistant and easy to work with. You can even steam bend it. I bet you could find a woodworker that would love to tackle that problem.

I'm just sayin...:D

Last edited:

tgp***

Well I guess the issue is your Nassau must have a bit more curvature in its deck than my Jupiter did. I was able to bow the windshield out until it was close to flat with the deck. Then when I dropped some screws in it, it sucked it right down flush.

I don't think there's a difference in boats. I think its in the windshield. The windshield is just wide enough as it is, I can't turn it in any more, the step through goes way off kilter, and does not close right.

What type of boat did your windshield come off of ??? and, what was the width of it if you know.

I'm thinking that I need to look at a bigger (wider) windshield then turn it in then it could work....

Status
Not open for further replies.