Restoring a Starcraft '66 Nassau

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Restoring a Starcraft '66 Nassau

We have a 2 car garage. The boat is on one side and the car on the other. Truck sits outside. Fortunately my wife and I ride together to work so at least I don't typically have to clean snow or ice of the car in order to go to work. Although if the weather is bad enough that we need to take the truck....I guess I'll be cleaning off snow.

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Finished priming the with etching primer today (napa 720 $7.37/can took 5 rattle cans). Its cold out only 30 degrees. I had a kerosen tubo heater going but just could not get the temperature up to desired application temp (45 degrees maybe). Hope it sticks. This self etching primer dried even though the desired temp says 70 degrees. Decided to just spray the whole hull w/ it. From what I read this stuff works well over everything. By spraying the whole hull I'm able to see what it looks like, turned out pretty well. I think I am going to sand w/320 and spray with a filler primer next. It should give me my best surface for top coat. I need more lighting though tough to see in the garage too many shadows.

Next step will be to sand the gunwale and splashwell pieces, then prime those.
100_1765.jpg 100_1764.jpg

Last edited:

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Great progress. Keep movin forward. Looks good from here.

tgp***

Cold winter days here in Wisconsin. What to do with your time you ask? Bring parts in the house where its warm and work w/ JB Weld (JBW) to fill holes (the old girl had been suject to abuse with a drill at some point).

Here is a little photo shoot of the repair process.
100_1767.jpg

The holes were mostly from snaps from a former cover. Plus a few extra.
First sand and remove any dirt, oil, or grease. Also sand the back side. I also used the a drill w/ a large bit to cone shape the hole so the JBW has a little more surface area as not to pull through.
100_1766.jpg
100_1772.jpg
Cut small pieces of aluminum flashing and spread a little dab of JB weld on the flashing and place on the back side of the hole. I put duck tape over the it to hold it in place.
100_1773.jpg

Fill the holes and let cure for 24 hrs.
100_1774.jpg

Sanding and priming when finished. For me this is going to be a reapting process, as she has lots of holes. But the JBW seems to adhear very well and is sandable. My priming will be etch primer over everything then a filler primer befor paint.

Last edited:

tgp***

Still to cold to paint so I'm thinking about seats. I need some seating ideas for this little tinny. Back-to-back loungers or pedistal folding seats, whats being done out there.

I thought about pedistals up-front(classic sport car seating as they used to say in the ads and brochures for the Dorsett's) but what do you do in back? Has anyone done like a 36-inch wide flip-fop in the center behind the front folders or a back bench?

I may have also found a 68' 65hp merc($300 seems like deal), hope to get a look at it this weekend. If I go black paint I have to have a black motor.

Photo's of seating if you have them would be appreciated....
Thanks

Here's the progress if your interested
http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/tgp---/1966%20Starcraft%20Nassau/?action=view&current=0cbbd3e3.pbw

Last edited:

bananaboater

Ensign

I thought about pedistals up-front(classic sport car seating as they used to say in the ads and brochures for the Dorsett's) but what do you do in back? Has anyone done like a 36-inch wide flip-fop in the center behind the front folders or a back bench?

Here are my front seats and I got a 48" wide bench for the aft seating in matching colors/pattern, Wise brand.

IMG_0900.jpg

tgp***

Well, I managed to acomplish something today One new dash board, made from left over transom marine plywood. I'm not sure what to use..... primer/paint or thompsons sealer .....then cover w/ vinyl like they originaly did. Marine vinyl looks pretty available at good price on ebay.

Next are the side panel boards to work on. There are some spots on the edges of one of the side panels that has some rot. I think I can fix it by cutting off the rotted wood make a ship lap and glueing some new material(just exterior grade plywood) on it (I'm cheap), because its not structural, it should'nt be a big deal. Now is a good time for a Miller High Life!

100_1779.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Paint it. Thompsons is seriously worthless.

tgp***

Are surfacing primers generly soft?? I primed over my etching primer today (which was a nice hard surface, scuffed up w/ a SB pad prior to spraying w my regular primer), but it seems soft even after a couple hours. Granted it's cold out (heated the garage up to about 55 w/ a turbo kerosene heater). I brought the gunwales in the house , and even though its dry to the touch I can scratch it w/ my finger nail. I hope this is just typical of a surfacing primer. Any paint guys out there?

sprintst

Commander

The primer should definately be sandable. I'd still let it see some heat before a final verdict.

tgp***

Winter is in full force here so some things have been put on hold, painting is the big one. $5.00 gallon for my kerosene heater cuts in to budget.

So I have been cleaning and buffing all the aluminum trim, and scrubbing the rubber inserts in the basement where its warm (I'll be glad when winter is over, the only ice and snow I want to see is in a cocktail).

One rub rails has a small damaged area. What have other people done to repair moldings like this (see attached Image)? Also, what kind of paint have people used to re-paint thier steering wheels? Thanks
100_1803.jpg

Last edited:

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

I used Plasti Dip in a spray can. 4 coats on my wheel. See my thread on page 5. It came out great.

tgp***

Thanks PaulyV. I have the old original hard plastic steering. I have some cracks and chips to repair (I think bondo should work, or resin for that matter). I will check it out.

tgp***

Just found this site with an interesting steering wheel restoration on a VW beetle. If anyones interested.. Click on the attached link, then scroll down to Misc. Techniques and then click on the Steering Wheel Restoration.

If there are people out there looking to restor old wheels this looks promising.

http://www.thebugshop.org/gotech.htm

Last edited:

tgp***

Has anyone tried aluminum solder for fixing gouged molding?
100_1803.jpg

Last edited:

tgp***

Progress was made today......Rustoelm Topside, black 1 quart, appiled out side in sun at 35 degrees. Aplication by HLVP spray grun from Harbor frieght tools($14.99). Hope it sticks. All the old tinny's bumps and bruises now that its out of the dimly lit garage are much more noticable. But, in the name of progress I must move forward. I will be putting down a second coat, I did find a couple thin spots that could use a little mor paint. It does not look as though it will happen to soon though, they are calling for cold and snow.
From this
100_1807.jpg

To this
100_1809.jpg

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Looks good from CT. Keep pluggin away.

tgp***

I thought I would up date a little.... Second coat of paint on the hull is complete. Although, I not sure if it was the less than ideal temperature (38 degrees outside, the sun helped) or not enough acetone as thinner, or the painter, not the best but it will do.

Fitted the new wood transom and drilled holes for the transom bolts and splashwell drains.

Bought plywood for the deck (ended up using 3/4 inch ACX, I will start to seal w/resin tomarrow hopefully). Cut and fitted the deck today (I may have made the cutouts for the ribs on the bow piece a little to big. It seems to sit just a little low, not sure yet how I will ajust for that, maybe a piece of velt on the rib). I will need to cut the plywood at the stern on the port side also, so I have enough room access the mounting holes for the pito tube.

Ordered new transom bolts and rivets from Fastnal. Also bought my pink foam for floatation.

All in all, a good start toward reassembly.
100_1811.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1814.jpg
[/IMG]
100_1815.jpg

sprintst

Commander

Nice work man... Looks as clean as a whistle.

Status
Not open for further replies.