Restoring a Starcraft '66 Nassau

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Restoring a Starcraft '66 Nassau

As I ponder my next move on the rebuild. I thought I would solicit some opinions and advice on my transom replacement.

After searching and reading. From a cost standpoint I'm leaning towards 3/4 inch CDX, w/grorrila glue, to glue the two 3/4 inch pieces together (would screwing the boards together also help? and would I leave the screws in it when I install it?). Final trimming and sanding after material sets up.

The boat in question is 16 feet long w/ max 75 hp rating. The wood transom measures 60 inches wide x 12 inches tall x 1 & 1/2 inches thick with approximately 36 stainless steel bolts through the aluminum hull and transom plywood. Then seal with what your threads call penatrating resin??

Maybe marine plywood w/ gorrilla glue? I'm just not sure which way to go here. Your thoughts on this.....

Thanks again......

http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/tgp---/1966%20Starcraft%20Nassau/?albumview=slideshow

Last edited:

BobsGlasstream

Commander

I would just go with the two layers of 3/4" exterior grade ply, sealed on all sides with resin. May a layer of 3/4 oz CSM, and call it good.
Good Luck
Bob

tgp***

I would just go with the two layers of 3/4" exterior grade ply, sealed on all sides with resin. May a layer of 3/4 oz CSM, and call it good.
Good Luck
Bob

Ok, I'm moving forward and ordering supplies so I have the when I return from vacation. I am quite excited about this project and want to keep it moving along. I found a place to buy 1st quality plywood.

I looked at several threads on this, but let me make sure I've got this straight, because I have never worked w/fiberglass before, and, I want to make sure I have the process correct and get it right the first time.

1.) Take my 2 pieces of plywood (3/4 inch) and cut to an approx size, a little larger than what I need. (any prep neccessary? sanding the sandwich sides maybe?),

2.) Put resin down on one side of the plywood, (any specific type or brand of resin? I will need a catalyst, correct? I assume this is a different type of resin than the penetrating resin that I will use to coat the finished piece on all sides and ends)

3.) Laydown 3/4 oz. CSM (chop stranded mat?)

4.) More resin, and use like a roller or something to make sure the mat is fully saturated and squeeze out any bubbles, (I gather I have to work quickly, as the resin begins to setup rather fast, or can it be controled w/ how much catalyst I use),

5.) Lay the top piece of plywood down on top of that, and clamp the heck out of it, and let it setup. Its cold weather here in Wisconsin, will this cure outside in the cold garage? What type of cure time should I expect?

6.) Layout aginst my old transom, trace, cut, trim, and sand until it fits,

7.)Coat all sides of the new transom with penetrating resin (I believe I have choices here also, polyurethane or epoxy, right?)

Do I pre-drill the holes via the pattern transom for all the through transom bolts, or do you do that after you have it in place and want to start bolting it in?

8.) Bolt that sucker in!

Once thats done I can cut and trim a dash board, and start reassembly of the gunwales, and splash well. Then get the boat flipped over to start prep for paint.

Thanks guys,

BobsGlasstream

Commander

tgp***
My suggestions.
Pre-drill the holes to make sure they are straight.
Keep the area heated to allow a better cure. Use halogen lamps or something to keep the work warm.
Test fit the wood to make sure it fits, and allow some room for the glass.
You can use either polyester resin or epoxy.
Have fun :p
Bob

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

The fiberglass resin will cure slower in cold weather allowing more time to get the pieces together but you will want to assure full cure after clamping so as Bob said, halogen lights or bring the thing inside to cure. Although in my experience with gorrilla glue you could just use that in between the sheets and it will never come apart and you would have about 20 minutes open time for clamping, if it was me that is the route I would take.

tgp***

Some quick paint questions......

I've seen threads here that said its not neccessary to remove all paint from the aluminum boat to repaint it. However......

Does self-etching primer affect the exsisting paint when you apply it?

Am I better served to remove all the paint on this 16 foot tinny and self-etch prime the girl up?

Also, do I have to primer over the self etch-primer w/ regualr primer to apply like a pettit easycoat paint?

Thanks Guys........

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If your paint is in good condition and adhering well then all you need to do is thoroughly scuff it up and Easypoxy will go right on. Bare aluminum needs to be hit with zinc chromate primer. I don't think you need to prime the primer with anything, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I cannot recommend Easypoxy enough (working with it right now).

tgp***

The paint is only so so....its been touched up in places, the bottom has lots of bare spots, I was looking at using the nappa 7220 for touch up on the bare spots, then maybe primer over it all. I think I will wait to decide until after I flip it over.

I did get the last of the misc. parts off tonight and picked up my plywood (went with marine) for the transom. Plus packed for vaction.

I am taking the easy way out on rebuilding my transom though. I found a local fiberglass shop (Fountian of Youth for Boats). Instead of buying all the materials and clamps to make the transom. This palce is going cut my plywood to shape from the pattern, resin the the two pieces together, cut and trim it for me for $100. Dropped it off tonight. It will be ready for me when I get back from vacation. Seemed like a no brainer to me. I'll use the remaining marine plwood to make a new dash board over xmas. Then I can focus on getting the boat flipped over and sanding.

The hull is solid, I' been going along checking the rows of rivits have found one loose one yet. YET.

It seems like there are two different theorys on stripping the whole thing or touch up with primer and paint over. I think I need to get flipped over and look at it from that prespective.

Then... there is the bottom paint issue. I don't think I will go that route. its a trailered boat.

I think I have a color sceme in mind though. I had a 1970 Cadilac Coupe de ville. Black w/ white interior. Very cool car. Wish I still had it.

Thanks guys......

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

I like that color choice...I am looking to paint Black..White stripe..Gray interior..Looking forward to more pics when you come back from vacation..enjoy!!

Azonic

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the black white combo myself...

I did a little mock up of that scheme in my thread...

Only I added a red stripe...

Deck will be a medium gray, with white console, seats, livewells, and black and red for accents...

I have a combo of bare and painted ...

I guess there is a prime on the bare, then a paint can go on...

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need some Zinc Cromate on the bare aluminum or it will corrode, Then put on your primer over the ZC. You can buy it at some auto stores, I got mine from Sherwin Williams in a rattle can for about $3

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just used Rustoleum over the zinc chromate. It stuck pretty well.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

...I think I have a color sceme in mind though. I had a 1970 Cadilac Coupe de ville. Black w/ white interior. Very cool car. Wish I still had it.

Thanks guys......
:D
blackwhite.jpg

tgp***

Wow, nice job on the mock up of the black paint! Looks great!

Back from vacation (its cold here, snow ice and broken tree's! was 86 and sunny where I was), now back to the boat.

Picked up my transom and flipped the boat to start sanding.
100_1763.jpg 100_1761.jpg 100_1762.jpg

So as I understand it, what I need to do is the following, in order
1.)Sand with 120
2.)Dewax and degrease the hull (w/ some type of chemical?)
3.)Prime any bare aluminum w/etching primer.
4.)Sand w/320 (Do I clean again w/ some type of chemical?, maybe just wipe down?)
5.)Do I want to use a filler primer here? over the whole thing? to even it out.
6.)Sand w/ 320 again
7.)Wipe down w/ some type of chemical?
8.)Apply paint,
9.)Second coat neccessary? sand before application and wipe down again.

let me know if I have the process order correct.
thanks
http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/ad241/tgp---/1966%20Starcraft%20Nassau/?action=view&current=950db5b6.pbw

Last edited:

tgp***

Can I use acetone as a wipe down tpye wax and grease remover berfore applying primer to bare spots?

thanks

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

TGP how did you execute your hull flip?

tgp***

Put the boat off in the snow in the front yard. Tipped up to the side. Stuck a push broom handle in the snow and rested the keel aginst the broom end. went to the otherside and set it down by hand. Its a 16' foot alumin hull so its not all that heavey when totally stripped down and gutted. Made a 4 wheel dolly to put it on. Started sanding and priming today.

easy peasy.

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

snow for a cushion..We will have 12-14" here tomorrow. After 20-24 hrs of plowing I will try that in my driveway. I have the 3 moving dollies.

Huron Angler

Admiral

TGP great work so far, it seems like you really have a handle on the tin can resto:D
I can't believe I'm considering leaving the truck outside over the winter to work on this boat in the cold.

This is my dilemma as well. To be honest there is no way around it now since the boat is half torn apart(16' SS).

Last winter I put my 12' in the driveway and flipped her over. I like your idea for flipping tin hulls, I will probably do the same once we have enough snow.

Look forward to seeing your progress, and remember, you aren't the only one rebuilding an aluminum hull in the garage and brushing snow off your truck every morning;)

Status
Not open for further replies.