Cuddy wall covering questions....

noizmaker

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I'm trying to figure out if the white ish carpet like material on the cuddy walls is what was between the hull and original carpet/cuddy wall coverings. Also, the stains in the white material in some pics looks like rust around starboard window and on port side window almost looks like a resin stain. That's why I think the original wall coverings are missing. Any thoughts, suggestions, words of wisdom is greatly apprecitated.

http://s939.photobucket.com/albums/ad237/noizmaker2pb/

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=362228

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Cuddy wall covering questions....

Hey there, I to need to figure this out, what to cover the cuddy cabin walls with. I've been noodling this around for a couple of weeks, and haven't come up with much of anything good, just a couple of ideas or well 1 idea.

i was thinking about making some vinyl panels to inset in the cuddy.

step 1. Template for plywood
Step 2. Cut Plywood
step 3. Attach foam
step 4. Cover with Vinyl
step 5. Attach to interior. (which i haven't figured that out yet either)

I think it would be comfy and great for the kids to bounce around in, stylish, and would be totally custom. Not sure of the effort though.

The carpet in mine is super dingy and needs to be replaced, and i'm not hip on replacing with more carpet.

Open to ideas

T

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well regardless of what you install...carpet or vinyl the biggest problems in a cuddy is lack of drying out. They always tend to smell like damp mold.....

I think your vinyl idea sounds great. The 1" foam is fairly cheap and the vinyl will clean up real easy too.

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Hey there, I to need to figure this out, what to cover the cuddy cabin walls with. I've been noodling this around for a couple of weeks, and haven't come up with much of anything good, just a couple of ideas or well 1 idea.

i was thinking about making some vinyl panels to inset in the cuddy.

step 1. Template for plywood
Step 2. Cut Plywood
step 3. Attach foam
step 4. Cover with Vinyl
step 5. Attach to interior. (which i haven't figured that out yet either)

I think it would be comfy and great for the kids to bounce around in, stylish, and would be totally custom. Not sure of the effort though.

The carpet in mine is super dingy and needs to be replaced, and i'm not hip on replacing with more carpet.

Open to ideas

T

did you copy that idea from me? :D

I figured some luon or whatever it's called would work fine to attack the foam and vinyl too. I got thinking that you could put like a carriage bolt through a little scrap piece of wood, epoxy it to the wall of the cabin, then use a nut and washer with a screw head cover. A few of these should be enough to properly hold it in place. Add 12V limo style rope lighting at the seams :cool:

drewpster

Commander

If you are talking about a covering to finish the inside fiberglass surfaces of the hull (not covered with anything else) search the term "hull liner material. I found it once looking around. The inside of the cabin of my boat has it on the inside surface glued in place. Sort of like thick wall paper only nicer. You can get it as a thin carpet as well.
I considered making some interior panels also. But you would be surprised how adding a little thickness to the walls will make the cabin look and feel smaller.

noizmaker

Seaman Apprentice

For our cuddy walls theres got to be material that can be installed and removed easily for end of season cleaning or storage. Similiar to the removable carpet flooring concept. Velcro and duct tape....:D

Image of current cuddy wall material I'd like to replace.

DSC_0007-1.jpg

1988 Nordic Crestliner Crusader 245

1988CrestlinerDayCrusier25ft.jpg

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

I figured some luon or whatever it's called would work fine to attack the foam and vinyl too. I got thinking that you could put like a carriage bolt through a little scrap piece of wood, epoxy it to the wall of the cabin, then use a nut and washer with a screw head cover. A few of these should be enough to properly hold it in place. Add 12V limo style rope lighting at the seams :cool:

that is a great idea, of epoxy studs to the wall. I think you just answered my last hurdle there. That is going to be my spring project, in the meantime i still getting out water logged foam!!

T

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are talking about a covering to finish the inside fiberglass surfaces of the hull (not covered with anything else) search the term "hull liner material. I found it once looking around. The inside of the cabin of my boat has it on the inside surface glued in place. Sort of like thick wall paper only nicer. You can get it as a thin carpet as well.
I considered making some interior panels also. But you would be surprised how adding a little thickness to the walls will make the cabin look and feel smaller.

I didn't find anything on Iboats site, but did find this website: http://www.sailrite.com/HullBlanket-Headliner-Hull-Liner-Carpet-Type-Silver-Grey-M66

This may be a much easier option.

T