14' Alumacraft - Restoration Questions

tommydeal

Cadet
I just got an Alumacraft Model F 6. From what I have read it was probably made around 1961-63. The entire seam between the hull and the transom was covered in silicone (in hindsight, obviously a red flag for any potential buyer) and when I peeled it all off it revealed some corrosion of the aluminum and it looks like the rivets are separating in some places because there is enough space the slip a dime in at some spots.
I've done some research and here's what I'm thinking so far: I should get this welded professionally but I'm on a very tight budget. How much might is cost me to get that whole seam welded?
Would it be a good idea to drill out a few rivets and put some bolts in?
How long would a layer of JB Weld over this entire seam last?
Should I bolt on some aluminum reinforcement along this seam?

I do have some Gluvit already to coat the seams and rivets after the repairs have been made.

Another question, would I want to use a short or long shaft tiller on a boat like this?

tommydeal

Cadet
Re: 14' Alumacraft - Restoration Questions

Ok, I've been using a wire wheel to get all the last bits of silicone out of this seam and there are several holes in the aluminum that go all the way through. I may solder the whole seam with HTS-2000 and see if it holds for the summer. If it leaks too much I'll end up buying one in better condition. These 14' aluminums are pretty cheap in the off-season.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Pictures??? Let us see what you are describing.

Welcome to iboats and we will help but we could use a photo or two.

Get rid of that silicone....it has no place on the hull at all.

I would not weld up a seam that was riveted....

tommydeal

Cadet

Here are some pictures, can I save this boat?

Attachments

• Pic1.JPG
    Pic1.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG5608.jpg
    CIMG5608.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG5609.JPG
    CIMG5609.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG5611.JPG
    CIMG5611.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG5612.JPG
    CIMG5612.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 0

tommydeal

Cadet

More pics

Attachments

• CIMG5615.JPG
    CIMG5615.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 0
  • CIMG5616.JPG
    CIMG5616.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 0

Rudi2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow! I'm no expert, but think I'd try to find something in a little better shape to play with myself.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

Look into G Flex by West Systems. With the proper prep, you should be able to seal it up well enough to make it usable again. All corrosion will need to be removed from the area and you will want to use an aluminum etch product before applying the epoxy. The West Systems website will have info on how to use the product to fix leaky aluminum boats. If you need more info, drop them an email. They will go out of their way to help you out.

Full disclosure: I have no ties to the company. I just used to race sailboats against the owners and some of the employees. Good people

tommydeal

Cadet

Thanks, that GFlex stuff looks good. Their patches for larger holes seem to use fiberglass. I'm beginning to question whether the structure of the transom/hull seam is sound enough to run my 18hp motor on if I am able to patch it up. That's why I was thinking of reinforcing things with some bolts.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

You could always rivet on some aluminum sheet to cover larger areas and bond/seal with the G Flex.

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think you'll spend as much on repairs as you would on another hull. At that point you'll have one huge patch job. If you aren't hung up on that era of that boat, what's one that floats really worth? $300? $200? I have seen many old alumacrafts for sale this summer $150-1000 from a bare hull to motor and trailer combo. I'm a tightwad too but it's easy to nickle and dime yourself right up to the point of buying something better in the first place.