1965 Glastron V-171 Sportsman Restoration Many photos!

taliesin1935

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, I've started in on my sweet looking Sportsman. Yeah, the floor was soft, yes the transom came out with nothing more than a a pry bar and rudimentary tools. Soaking wet and in mooshy pieces. Stringers are next. It was fun taking off the splash well cap. It's not just sitting there, it's glassed to the transom an the cap is glassed all the way around, so it's not coming off. I removed the splash well cover by strategically cutting it where it will be easy to reinforce it l;ater and put it back on with a little help from out friend, Mr Epoxy. It's going to have to be painted..scrapes and holes here and there, some cracking of the gelcoat, etc. I want to duplicate the same color...love that period aqua. Not too many aqua seats and floor coverings that I can find. Hmmmmm. The trim is in ok shape..rub rails nice. The chromed pot metal pieces are pitted...have to get them plated.

Looking and saving for a sweet Mercury 115 to put on it...just like in the brochure. The V-171 Sportsman used to be used in racing circuits, was pretty fast in it's day. Great in rough water (which we have lots of here with the Saginaw Bay and big lakes.) I wonder with a stronger transom and some reinforcements if a 125 or 150 might work...hmmmm.
DSC_0021-4.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

65gl-v171-172-174.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

I can see it's going to be interesting once I get under that splash well and see that's under there!

DSC_0041.jpg

taliesin1935

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1965 Glastron V-171 Sportsman Restoration

There was sure some evil behind all that aluminum. Didn't even need much in the way of tools to get all the mushy wood out. There was an attempt at repair a while back, so I was told. the top six inches was a conglomeration of epoxy and wet wood, and the bottom16 inches or so was soaked and you could remove it with a screwdriver with minimal effort. Had the whole works out in short order with nothing but a small pry batr, and a screwdriver. Result? Big pile -o'mushy chips.

The splash well was not too bad to remove...will epoxy it back together when I reinstall it. Going to paint anyway....this cap would NOT have been fun to remove. The edges of the deck are solid, so I have something to attach the new one to. Stringers..not good. Transom is now out...making good progress.
DSC_0072.jpg
DSC_0035.jpg
DSC_0077.jpg
DSC_0036.jpg
DSC_0046.jpg
DSC_0035.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Very cool boat. Should be a real head turned when you're done. I wouldn't consider exceeding the max rated HP. That rating takes into account more than just how strong the transom it. That boat will move great with whatever the max is. I'd rip out that cable steering while you're in there. You're going to want a nice new single cable system for your "new" motor anyway.

taliesin1935

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, it's fun to fantasize about, but the rated hp would be just fine. Don't to "Monster Garage" the thing, Ed, keep it sane. The tag says 110 hp, so a 115 might be right, as long as I don't fancy myself an off shore racer.

The steering is in need of updating for sure As long as I'm going this far, why not do it now? I wonder if the new hub allows the use of the stock wheel? Gotta keep that cool old funky 60's wheel!

Funny thing is, if you want to keep the original color, nobody seems to make any kind of stock seating that is in that color. There's a nice two toned blue, if only they made it in a nice aqua. Maybe I can do it in the Nassau Blue on the brochure as shown. But then again, white seats could be cool.

I'm measuring and making templates for the stringers as we speak....film at 11.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My ancient cable pulley steering on my '66 was able to use a new wheel......so I would imagine the reverse would be true :)

taliesin1935

Seaman Apprentice

Hey, lookie here....they really WERE used in racing. Cool, looks like it could handle waves....I kinda like that aspect! Looks sweet with numbers and two motors. Not that I'm going to DO that, but it must be a pretty well designed hull.

King__S_Favourite__1966_-1.jpg

BoffinsCoffininactionramgate1965.jpg

Pan_Yan__1965_.jpg

Pan_Yan__1965__2.jpg

Aqualift

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awesome boat and good luck with the restoration. I will be following your progress.

jcsercsa

Captain

yep very cool ride !!!!! cant wait for more !!!!! keep them pics comming !! John

taliesin1935

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, I have the stringers out and am beginning the grinding of the whole inside of the hull to get it smooth and to start the fitting of the new stringers. I'll have photos of the smoothed out hull soon, but while it's in progress, I've got to say this has to be the WORST part of the whole job. So much dust in the initial smoothing. I suspect it will be much better from here on out. I'm going to use epoxy, so I can plan ahead and make multiple layups without grinding inbetween. Ok, there will be SOME but nothing can make the mess like this. I have a fan in the window and the garage door partly open for cross ventilation, plus the shop vac hose laying right near where I'm grinding. Gring a bit...vac up the excess. Seems to keep it down to a manageable level...somewhat. Oh, and the critters. There were ANTS living in the rotted under deck wood. BIG black ones. Then there was the bee's nest. All along, every so often, an ant or a bee will crawl out from somewhere and meet it's fate via shop vac. Bwa-hahahaha! I feel so powerful!

I saves the original stringers (see pics) as much as possible but the transom was removed in mushy handfulls of soggy soft splinters. No pattern there. It's easy to make one, so no big deal. I'm thinking of laminating two pieces of plywood to make up the length needed for the stringers. Is that overkill? Yeah? Good... but will be super strong. Thinking of bedding them with PL adhesive after covering and sealing them with epoxy and glass, and then filleting and securely tabbing them to the bottom, per the West System book.

Toying with the idea of a permanent fuel tank...is that done very much with outboards? It's probably easier to just have the portable ones under the splash well and be done with it. I DO like the idea of a fuel gauge on the dash that a permanent one provides, as well as the extra space left behind the rear seat. Hmmmmm.

Wet and soggy weak and HEAVY stringers...

DSC_0002-2.jpg

Looking aft...NO wood left! Almost ready to get some new stuff in!

DSC_0009-3.jpg

The old channels for the stringers are being removed as we speak....and the old dirty, resin spattered surface is being smoothed and being made ready for a nice layer of fresh glass and epoxy.

DSC_0007-2.jpg

taliesin1935

Seaman Apprentice

I've gotten some more documentation! This is what I'm talking about! I want it to look exactly the same...that big Mercury Tower of Power on the back , of course. I like that color blue on it...and you can get two toned blue seats. Haven't seen any aqua ones...and I like blue better anyway!

65V-171.jpg

They really did race these too!

65V-171-2.jpg

64V-171.jpg

65V171-3.jpg