transom and floor replacement

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer
Re: transom and floor replacement

No luck with faring compound. The dents are so shallow I think the gelcoat will probably fill them but knowing my ainalness I will probably find a way to get it. I am litterally filling every scratch on the hull and hand sanding them. I am sure the thickness of gelcoat would fill them anyway but I am used to automotive paint where you get it perfect before painting because the paint is so thin that the slightest scratch will create a huge valley whaen the paint dries.
I guess I need a break but only to build toyboxes for the kids for christmas. I will post only finished pics of them when I get them built.

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

what are you still doing up??? So all the scratches/nicks on the bottom of the boat should be done with gel coat or can I use poly for that too?
I had the ufc fight taped and I'm watching it now since I was out late with the boat. Wife's not to happy but??? When does your wife come home?
Mick

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

She comes home in a year. she is deployed on her way to afghanistan. I am filling the scratches with glazing putty but that is because they are so minor less than 1/16 inch deep. Then gelcoating the whole boat

micks110

I have an almost 2 year old son and almost 4 year old daughter. Yeh, your boat is definitely your release. I'd gone crazy already if they didn't have mommy! You let your wife know we thank her and she is one helluva person! Couldn't agree with you more in one of the other threads that this country needs to get back to doing things and making things on our own and not outsourcing to third world countries for bottom dollar!
I'm going to hit the racks. Did you see my video? Kinda comical:D
Mick

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I just updated my signature. Check out the thunderbird link to see last years project.
Mick Thank you for your thoughts. I will find the post tomorrow and check out your video.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

SKIBUM1M,
Very nice job on the Bird. Red and black are my favorate colors.
It looked like a ground up restro. That's a lot of work. very nice job.
Bob

erikgreen

Captain

Since you're set on gelcoat, here's something that may make things a little easier for you.

There's a product called Duratec surfacing primer that may save some work ... it's a gelcoat-like polyester that is designed to provide coverage of uneven surfaces. People use it for molds a lot.

Duratec also has a high gloss coating that's meant to mix with gelcoat 1:1, and a barrier coat coating that's meant to prevent blistering.. all of these can be sanded to help level a surface and all of them can mix with and be coated by gelcoat.

The idea being that once you have your sanding done, you can coat with duratec, get that surface super smooth, and then gelcoat... the gelcoat layer can be thinner because you're not going to sand as much, and it'll be smoother to begin with since you already will have done a lot. Less sanding is easier.

Or you could even use their high gloss additive with your gelcoat... it would cure in air, and would be very shiny, and I think a lot easier to sand than plain gelcoat, but just as durable.

Wonderful stuff, Duratec... you can even paint over epoxy work with it and then gelcoat... it'll help it stick.

Erik

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Erik, I dont think I will need a primer since I have spent the last week filling every scratch and right now the hull is perfectly smooth and sanded and blocked to 180 grit. I have seen the high gloss additive. Have you used it and if so what are the real benefits of it and how much difference does it make? I planned on using 2 gallons of gelcoat so with 1:1 would I only need 1 gallon to make 2 and should this do the hull and cap of a 15 foot bowrider? Thanks for your advice.

micks110

Bump back to page one.
skibum I was at my boat place today and we were talking about paints and usage and all that good stuff. I think I am going to stick with the paint instead of the gel coat- $30qt. for paint, $100qt. for gel coat. Thanks for the reply on the spray guns too. I have some stuff from my stove to return to tractor supply so I will pick one up while I'm there.
Mick

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Micks
I would do some research on the paint you are using before buying the gun. That is fine for automotive paint which runs alot more than $30 more like $150 a galon. check out your paint, find out what the manufacturer suggests as far as spraying and thinning. the gun has a 1.4 mil tip as most paint guns. I am doing gel coat so I need a 2.0 to 2.2 mil tip.

erikgreen

Captain

Skibum...

I've tried out the duratec high gloss and it makes for a very tough, extremely shiny surface. I also think it makes the gelcoat easier to work with, the duratec products are more sandable than plain gelcoat. Plus no wax removal when you're done.

Gelcoat on its own can be made to shine the same with more work, but I think the duratec is both harder (tougher) and easier to use. Its main purpose in pro shops is for tooling, making molds that have to stand up to having multiple hulls pried away from them.

Yeah, you'd mix one gallon of each to get two, but how much you use depends on how thick you apply it... from what you're describing two gallons should cover it easily.

Erik

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

you sound like me...temp fix on the floor for 1 summer then end up doing transom floor carpet paint, the whole works! I didn't glass over my whole floor but I should have at least tabbed it in Doh! Oh well too late now.

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man you are moving quick. Looking real good so far and looks like you will be in good shape come spring. Post lots of pics when it comes time to gelcoat.

micks110

skibum- I think I am going to go with this paint for both the top and bottom. They sell it at my local boat shop for a couple bucks more than on this site (I wanna use my local guys as much as possible).
http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...329&familyName=Pettit+EasyPoxy+Topside+Paint#

The reviews on the site on the paint are good, and my local shop is very happy with it.
Bright red for the top, and either gloss white or semi-gloss white for the bottom(what do you think for the bottom?)
You think the gun you suggested would do well with it- I really don't want to roll and tip- I painted enough in my house with a roller and brush- I wanna spray!

The site gives alot of info on the product and how to use it, and thin it for spray that even I can understand it.

Thanks,
Mick

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Good choice. Easypoxy is AWESOME!!!

I just went from this:
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2260.jpg

to this (the green is the tape):
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2281.jpg

I rolled and rolled it. This stuff levels out so nice I think you could apply it with a push broom and it would look fantastic. The gloss is incredible. The blue you see there is 1 coat!

Only negatives are related to the big positive of how well it flows.....it will not hide any imperfections. So if you've got some scratches, better fix them ahead of time or use a high build primer. And also this paint WILL run. Keep a very close eye on it after you apply it so you can fix them up.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Mick,
Yes this says it will work with that gun. make sure you folllow their directions. " For conventional spray application thin 15-20% with Pettit 121 Spraying Thinner. Apply one, thin even coat per day. After an overnight dry, lightly sand with 220 grit sandpaper and apply a second coat."
Also if you have never used a spray gun make sure to take an old piece of metal and practice before shooting your boat. Practice alot. then practice some more. get used to the gun and all the controls and how easy it is to create runs. always hold the gun at 90 degrees to the surface peing painted. move parallel to it, not sweeping as most people do. pick up a bood on painting cars, read it, then practice some more.
Then make your boat pretty.

micks110

Thanks for the replies on the paint. When are you going to be gelcoating? Oh yeh one more thing- working temp is 50-90- what about when my garage drops down to 20 while I'm sleeping? Will it just take longer to dry?
Thanks,
Mick

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Try to paint early in the day and keep it warm as long as possible. After 8 hours or more it should be ok for the temperature to fall as long as you keep it from freezing. If it is below freezing just to be safe I would get up every couple hours to warm it back up till it is dried.
I will be gelcoating after I order the gelcoat which will be on the 6th of Jan. That is after the wife goes back. (she gets to come home for christmas) Right now the boat is upside down on the trailer in the front yard as the garage became Santa's workshop for me to build toyboxes. I need to get it back in the garage before the wife gets home so I dont get yelled at.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

They say if you give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day, but if you teach a man to fish.... then he's gotta get a fishing license, but he doesn't have any money. So he's got to get a job and get into the social security system and pay taxes. you were just worried about eating a fish, and you couldn't even cook the fish cuz' you needed a permit for an open flame. Then the health department is going to start asking you a lot of questions about where are you going to dump the scales and the guts.

HAHAHAH! Priceless!

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Santas workshop is closed for the year!!! I finished the toyboxes tonight as well as 4 new balljoints and a thermostat in a friends explorer. Then I pulled the boat back in the garage and took it off the trailer. Now get the snow off it then wait for gelcoat. For the next 3 days I need to get the house clean so when the wife comes home she thinks I have kept it that way since she left 2 months ago. ;)