transom and floor replacement

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: transom and floor replacement

I discovered an island close by that has capsites on it that are free to use anytime and since you have to have a boat to get there its not crowded. I think we will be there alot this summer. If only there was internet to get my iboat fix while i was camping. Anyone know the best way to make sure the boat doesnt wash in or out overnight without a dock. Im thinking anchor on one end and a line tied to a tree on the other. I just dont want to find the anchor slipped overnight and find my boat sitting on the beach in the morning.

That sort of camping is an absolute blast. Did a bit with my girlfriend last summer, actually the same week I bought my resto boat! We were using my 14' homeade jon, and I had the river anchor buried in the sand, and two ropes off the bow to different trees. Weathered a few thunderstorms with 20mph+ winds. I was nosed in with the bow on the beach, however.

In your case I'd get a good set with your bow anchor, swing the boat around stern to shore, set the stern anchor, and then have a safety line from the boat to a tree. Should be solid depending on the weather.

Hope the roof lets you get out this summer!

Terry

Andy in NY

Commander

hey neighbor to the east!

just checked out your thread and she is looking HOT! I love the colors, ive always been a fan of yellow and purple. hopefully i will see you out on champlain this summer...

charlie Noble

Seaman Apprentice

Hey - I am in Lake Placid, pretty much just starting my rebuild. Followed yours along great job. Did you find any place local to get your supplies
that was affordable? Went to Burlington VT to West Marine and they
did not have much of anything in the store. I ended up ordering
glass, resin, etc from U.S. Composits. Let me know if you found a local
source for anything - You did a great job!!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Ski,
Glad you got a little water time. That roof sounds like a really big project.
Good luck and have fun.
We still need our updates. :D:p
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I know I need to do some updates but I have spent most waking hours on the roof since this project has to be rushed so the rain doesnt do much damage. I got the ridge beam in and attached the rear joists then murphy shoed up and I put my foot thru the closet ceiling. Charlie and Andy, if you guys want to meet up to talk boats, help with the roof, or need any tools let me know. Day brothers is good for mechanical parts, but I had to go to the net for gelcoat and seacast. Yipes did my graphix. I have a couple pics on the camera but havent had time to post them, When I get this roof done I will get her on the water and get some good pics but right now there is alot of rotted and warped boards laying all around the trailer.

Andy in NY

Commander

I know I need to do some updates but I have spent most waking hours on the roof since this project has to be rushed so the rain doesnt do much damage. I got the ridge beam in and attached the rear joists then murphy shoed up and I put my foot thru the closet ceiling. Charlie and Andy, if you guys want to meet up to talk boats, help with the roof, or need any tools let me know. Day brothers is good for mechanical parts, but I had to go to the net for gelcoat and seacast. Yipes did my graphix. I have a couple pics on the camera but havent had time to post them, When I get this roof done I will get her on the water and get some good pics but right now there is alot of rotted and warped boards laying all around the trailer.

ive been to day brothers a few times... is there anywhere else decent to get outboard parts?

id come help with the roof, but i have a small fear of heights. havent ever been on my roof, and ive lived there for 6 years.

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

dang Ski, good luck on the house project, sounds like a mess!!!

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Today I finished framing the roof, Now replace a rotted beam in the kitchen and then I can resheat and shingle the roof. Anyone notice OSB doubled in price in the last month. I thought there was a housing crash. Oh well my estimate just went up $500. Im glad the wife isnt here to see the house torn apart. She will love the finished product but she would throw a fit to see the house with half the roof gone or the ceiling of the kitchen torn apart.
Andy, Day brothers is about it for local outboard parts. otherwise you can use Iboats or drive to VT. Give me a call and Ill tell you everywhere I know of. I did find a few junk yards with older used motor parts.

sprintst

Commander

Yeah... They wig out seeing it torn apart but it needs to be done.

Good timing. :)

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Just an update:
Today I found a pair of bucket seats and posts from a Larson all American 170. I will have to reupholster them but they are built with plstic frames and the posts will be shorter so I can get out of the wind a bit.
I also found a local company which will build me a wakeboard tower out of stainless steel tubing for a couple hundred dollars!!! Custom made to my boat with mandrel bends.

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Nice finds! I was wondering were you've been. Did the roof get done?

z0lt3c

Cadet

Just an update:
Today I found a pair of bucket seats and posts from a Larson all American 170.

Always great to see another Larson All American. I fear the soft floor in my 1990 170 will ultimately need alot of the same work as you have detailed in your incredible photos. How many hours do you think it takes to just replace the floor?

Got any more extra 170 parts ?

Thanks.

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

SKIBUM1M, Hey man, I gotta say incredible job with the re-gelcoating! Now honestly... Would you do it again?? Of coarse the reason I'm asking is that over the next "off-season", I plan on redoing my Traveler. It has a well worn white (off-white) gelcoat now, with some paint patches here and there. Would probably stay with white on the hull, but maybe a silver on the top section. Sure like the durablity of gc. I don't mind elbow grease, and have done countless auto paint jobs, if you think that helps. She's small (17'), and thin compared to todays more modern, wider boats. I'd be willing to bet she's the size of the Titanic when all the sanding faring is done, ehh?? Thanks for any input. I'm going to thoroughly read this whole thread now... ugh. :D

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

z0lt3c, I know of a whole 170 parts boat near Plattsburgh, PM me if you want to come up and ill take you to it. The guy is more than fair on parts.
Bigblock, Gelcoat is a ton of work but comes out nice. My next boat will be painted though. After seeing archbuilder's paintjob I like the gloss of paint better. I didnt have much choice on this since I changed the color and the open bow has a fiberglass floor which I figured paint would wear off of pretty quick. I want to see how well his paint stands up over time before I commit to painting the next one.
I will work on pictures soon, I just dont get much time lately, the roof is half done and waiting on clear skys to finish the back side. Today I installed a sterio and 4 speakers. The tape deck was great in 1990 but it was time to update to cd with ipod input.

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Skibumm. Maybe I should just stick with a good polyurethane then. Arch's boat DOES look amazing (as does yours). I'm just looking at my 40yr plus gelcoat, wondering how long even urethane will look good. But I suppose if it needed some touch-up every few years, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Decisions, decisions... ugh...Thanks again.

Norm II

Graceliner

Cadet

honestly, given the foam isn't water logged and still in good shape, you could always use PL waterproof construction adhesive. That stuff is great and would probably do the trick. I used PL on top of my stringers when i layed in the new deck in my bayliner and it sealed and held it wonderfully. just a thought.