18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

I like your yellow! Mine is going to be very light gray and bold blue.

86 century

Ensign

The pics don't do it justice it is real bad in person.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Got busy with the powerwasher today in preparation for the Gluvit application. I, of course, paid special attention to the rivets and seams. A 7HP powerwasher is a heck of a tool. No idea why my father-in-law bought one but I'm glad he did.

Before:
DSCF2227.jpg

After:
DSCF2252.jpg

DSCF2251.jpg

It even did a nice job on my teak swim platform. That could probably use some more work:
DSCF2250.jpg

Andy in NY

Commander

that teak swim platform is junk. but the good news is i would be happy to dispose of it for you. just mail it to me and i will make sure it is properly disposed of.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Looking good EZ . I need to pressure wash mine again ( and get all the danged leaves out of it :D ) and get my gluvit in before it gets cold around here . The Swim platform I would get some tongue oul for and give it a couple good coats .

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

Looking good EZ . I need to pressure wash mine again ( and get all the danged leaves out of it :D ) and get my gluvit in before it gets cold around here . The Swim platform I would get some tongue oul for and give it a couple good coats .

Rick

I wish i had a pressure washer when i was doing mine. i had to get down and scrub...

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Nice Job Jeremy!!!!!
somehow I wasnt suscribed to this thread! well I re-suscribed...

anyways...keep up the good work! :D

Andy in NY

Commander

Nice Job Jeremy!!!!!
somehow I wasnt suscribed to this thread! well I re-suscribed...

anyways...keep up the good work! :D

i used to do the subscriptions thing, but now i just use the "my replies" up in the top right corner (as long as i have responded to that post)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Worked on the boat a bunch yesterday. Tim Fives came over and helped me pull the motor and remove the rest of the rigging. I also took off the swim platform, cleats, etc. The only thing left on it now is the bow rail which I will probably remove tonight. Didn't get a chance to start on the Gluvit. Perhaps tonight.

I pulled all this stuff off because I've made the decision to go ahead and flip it to paint it. Paint isn't too expensive unlike all the stuff I need to continue working on the interior. So I figured I would take advantage of it being stripped down and flip it. This way I can continue working on it till some more $$ builds up and I can buy the rest of my materials.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

I would love to be helping ya with that SS Ez...pop by and drink a beer, fix some boat stuff...fun fun! too bad I love 2,500 miles away! :(

Im trying to talk my neighbor into a Starcraft....he wants a boat...I mentioned the alum boats are great because they dont rot, are light and great for fishing....he's not much of a beach bum or water skier...so fishing is about all he would be doing...STARCRAFT = PERFECT!!!!!!! or a bass boat...but those are alot more dough

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Gluviting occurred last night. I have mixed feelings on how that went. Some thoughts: Gluvit has little odor and mixes up easily. 1 can is technically enough for an 18' boat although just barely. 1.25 cans would be optimal. I got the job done but I wasn't able to hit every singe thing that I would have wanted to. Only mix half the can up at a time. I mixed the whole thing because it was a little cooler in my garage and I figured I'd work fast enough. I was mostly right but the contents did start to gel a bit as I was close to being done. It did run a bit after applying which is good. That means it probably oozed into crevices and sealed better. It takes a long time to dry. It was still quite wet when I went to bed last night and was still tacky this morning after running the space heaters all night keeping the garage around 65 degrees. Here's the fairly useless pics:

This is just a shot of the motor removed and hanging in the back of my garage
DSCF2257.jpg

The needed supplies. That is supposed to be a thermometer showing it's like 67 degrees but you can't really see it
DSCF2256.jpg

The Gluvit applied Wow exciting!
DSCF2258.jpg

This is where I'm kinda bummed out. You can see that my boat has this extra panel inside (on the left) that covers the main seam between the bottom and sides of the boat. That's about a zillion rivets I was unable to access. And on the Jupiter that was one of my trouble areas. So I wasn't real thrilled about that. The good news is this boat didn't leak when we test drove it so this effort can only improve an already good situation. I didn't notice a single lose rivet while I was working.
DSCF2259.jpg

Saturday she gets flipped!!! I just now ordered my paint from Jamestown Distributors. 2 quarts of Easypoxy Mist Gray and 1 quart Ocean Blue. I'm hoping it arrives very early next week.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Prior to the flip..... do you see any dents that you can hammer out? It is easier to do them now.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The only dent on this hull is on the bottom. Little quarter sized thing. I probably won't mess with it.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Good deal EZ that means I should have plenty of Gluvit since I have 2 feet less of boat to do :D. How are you planning to set the boat after flipping still planning to set it back on the trailer or did I talk you into the furniture dollies :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

WOW
Those gluv it pics are relentless...Took my breath away..(or is it the marlboro reds..)

Glad to see ya able to work and make progress Ez...

Andy in NY

Commander

Good deal EZ that means I should have plenty of Gluvit since I have 2 feet less of boat to do :D. How are you planning to set the boat after flipping still planning to set it back on the trailer or did I talk you into the furniture dollies :D.

Rick

i can should be MORE than enough. i used a whole can but i put it on pretty thick on known trouble spots.

WOW
Those gluv it pics are relentless...Took my breath away..(or is it the marlboro reds..)

Glad to see ya able to work and make progress Ez...

you are going to be one of those old men walking around in a robe with a cigarette hanging out of your mouth saying "what the hell are you looking at" in a realy raspy voice...

jeremy, lookin good. keep up the progress... and remember even boring pics are better than no pics.

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

Looking Good EZ dammit you gonna Finish this boat before I get mine done and you just bought it.:eek: Yea I have that same piece in my boat you can see it here I outlined it in red and it was really full of dirt behind it when I pressure washed my boat. I was thinking the same as you how to get gluvit behind it, only way I see is to remove it not sure I want to do that. It runs all most to the front of the boat. I think it is the support in the place of all those individual tabs you see in other STARCRAFTS.
4101338152_178b83179a_o.jpg

bryanwess2000

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like your making good progress EZ, I was very tempted to drive up and buy the boat 86 century posted, it was listed for $1200 in fort wayne, IN.
Good find 86 century!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yea I have that same piece in my boat you can see it here I outlined it in red and it was really full of dirt behind it when I pressure washed my boat. I was thinking the same as you how to get gluvit behind it, only way I see is to remove it not sure I want to do that. It runs all most to the front of the boat.

Jim, that would be heading dangerously far into "if it ain't broke...." territory.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Lookin good

whats holding the "extra panel" on........weld or rivets?
perhaps Starcraft would shed some light on it (OEM people)

it looks like a brace that helps keep the hull from tweaking...strength brace

yeah guess unless it was nice and clean behind there, theres not a good way to shoot or spray anything behind it to make sure its all sealed well in case of leaks......if it was clean behind it...maybye a bug sprayer loaded with some gluvit thinnned down could get some of the areas behind it..... I bet a hole or 2 drilled through it wouldnt hurt so you could access some of the joints/rivets back there... SEE IMAGE ATTACHED
or tilt boat bow way up high and goop some so it runs down the joint and rivets? could work!

and that pressure washer could double as a leak detector....have someone shoot at the the hull exterior while someone is inside watching for small leaks...might wanna do that to double check that hidden area before you get too far into it all if you're worried in any way bout leaks:D

Attachments

• extrapanel.jpg
    extrapanel.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.