1986 Chaparral 235 XLC Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvl711

Cadet
Hi all,

I have started a restoration on this boat with my Wife and my Father in law. The boat has been sitting for probably 15+ years, and needs some serious work. Surprisingly the boat has very little hours (less than 100). The engine needs some help, but the outdrive looks like it is in great shape.

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

I have been reading the forums for the past two weeks, looking over many different restoration projects, and I think I have some idea of what I need to do, but I could definitely use some help from all of you along the way.

My Father in law has taken out the motor and the outdrive.

DSC_3084.jpg

DSC_3090.jpg

I took out all of the interior trim that was still left in the boat as well as the walls leading to the cuddy cabin.

DSC_3108.jpg

jvl711

Cadet
Re: 1986 Chaparral 235 XLC Restore

Cont....

I removed most of the deck and started removing the foam.

DSC_3128.jpg

I was surprised when I found there was a gas leak coming from the fill line. The foam was drenched in fuel :mad:

DSC_3127.jpg

DSC_3130.jpg

Let me know what you think of the condition of the boat from what you can see in the pictures. I would like to know if you guys think it is a worth while project before I get to far in.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think it is a worthwhile project. That's a substantial boat. It's going to be a lot of work but done correctly you'll have a stronger-than-new boat you can enjoy for years. Here's a link to a somewhat similar resto project thread you may get some ideas from. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=300463 Good luck with your project.

jvl711

Cadet

I think it is a worthwhile project. That's a substantial boat. It's going to be a lot of work but done correctly you'll have a stronger-than-new boat you can enjoy for years. Here's a link to a somewhat similar resto project thread you may get some ideas from. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=300463 Good luck with your project.

Thanks Ezmobee,

That is the closest project I have seen yet on iBoats that should be very helpful. I like how he added those platforms for the captains seats. That should add some extra strength.

jvl711

Cadet

I had a couple questions about the deck and the stringers I was hoping you guys could help me with.

1. I am planning on using West System epoxy because this is my first time working with fiberglass, and it seems to be pretty easy to work with. What is the suggested mat to use on the stringers and on the top and bottom of the deck surface? How many plys of mat need to be used?

2. There does not seem to be any support where the deck meets the hull. Is it ok to leave it like this, or should I epoxy some blocking in? I understand the tabbing will add support, but is that support enough?

3. Is it OK to add more cats (cross support) to the stringers. Or is it important to keep the original structure? It does not look like there is a ton of support. Especially over the gas tank.

4. I wanted to use mahogany with birch plywood (or mahogany veneered ply if I can find it at a reasonable price) for interior trim. Is mahogany a suitable wood for marine trim?

Sorry for all of the questions!!

jvl711

Cadet

I had a couple questions about the deck and the stringers I was hoping you guys could help me with.

1. I am planning on using West System epoxy because this is my first time working with fiberglass, and it seems to be pretty easy to work with. What is the suggested mat to use on the stringers and on the top and bottom of the deck surface? How many plys of mat need to be used?

2. There does not seem to be any support where the deck meets the hull. Is it ok to leave it like this, or should I epoxy some blocking in? I understand the tabbing will add support, but is that support enough?

3. Is it OK to add more cats (cross support) to the stringers. Or is it important to keep the original structure? It does not look like there is a ton of support. Especially over the gas tank.

4. I wanted to use mahogany with birch plywood (or mahogany veneered ply if I can find it at a reasonable price) for interior trim. Is mahogany a suitable wood for marine trim?

Sorry for all of the questions!!

I just wanted to bump the thread because I am getting close to completing the demolition phase, and I am still not sure how much glass I should use.

I purchased the west system biaxial with the mat attached to it. I was thinking that I could possibly get away with only two layers on the stringers? I will also be using west systems resin.

My main stringers will be 3/4 inch exterior ply, and are roughly 12" tall. The second set of stringers is roughly 7" tall.

jvl711

Cadet

The project is still moving along. We were able to get the tank out. Getting the tank out was a pain. They used foam to glue the tank to the hull of the boat. We needed to use a 6' pry bar with a good bit of force to get it out. Luckily it came out with no damage. The tank looks to be in good shape.

DSC_3141.jpg

We were also able to get some of the stringers out of the boat. Except for the piece that divided, the stringers came out pretty easy.

DSC_3163.jpg

jvl711

Cadet

We took some time to scrub off the outside of the boat, as well as the bilge. The motor mounts look solid, boat the wood forming the bilge is going to need to be removed.

DSC_3180.jpg

Although the gelcoat is really faded it was in really good shape. I am going to try and shine up the gelcoat as opposed to painting.

DSC_3162.jpg

The transom is pretty solid except for that small area at the bottom of the outdrive hole. I am hoping that I can clean that area out and just repair that specific area without replacing the whole transom. I was thinking of drilling holes down into it to remove the root, and either filling the area with sea cast, or if I can just leave it as drill holes filling with epoxy.

DSC_3179.jpg

We have all of our fiberglass supplies, and our plywood is on order. I hope to get the rest of the stringers out this weekend, and to start preperation for the rebuild phase of the project. :D:D:D

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is a nice boat and definetly worth putting your time into. Good luck with it

jkust

Rear Admiral

That looks like it was a pretty high-end boat back in its day. Even the trailer is upgraded. That speed/throttle control set up looks a lot newer than 1986 to me. Amazing someone spent that much money on a boat in the 1980's when times were so tough and barely used it.

LVANGEE

Cadet

Great looking boat ! You are exactly at the same spot as I am in my restoration project . The exterior of your boat looks like it will clean up great , just faded . Nothing that a little elbow grease wont take care of .
Keep up the good work , great pics!

1982 Silverline sport or farallon (Larson senza before it was a larson)

LX Kid

Ensign

That lookks like a great boat project. Hope ya got lots of spare money laying around cause, if like my restoration, it will suck you dry! LoL Mine is very similar but not quite as many serious issues as yours though. Best of luck and hope to see more pictures as you progress. LX Kid

My project: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=275835

jvl711

Cadet

Thanks for all of the encouragement guys! I will keep updating as I make progress. Progress will be a little slow because the boat is 2 1/2 hours away at my father-in-laws shop. I only go down every couple weekends, but when I do go down I spend the whole weekend working on the boat.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Just thout I'd post this for fun. I think it is the same model.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/boa/1387456457.html

1986 Chaparral XL 23ft - $1100 (Shakopee)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-09-22, 4:40PM CDT
Reply to: sale-sf8ac-1387456457@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Needs work, mostly a motor, 350 chevy. Has been out of water for two years. Out Drive and Lowwer Unit have been rebuilt two years ago and have one use on them. Have manual to help fix boat. Great, big water boat. that was from FL. Trailer is a E-Z Loader and looks and works great. Trailer can adjust to a bigger boat. Would like to see boat fix, but will part out if offers roll in. Again very easy fix and very fun boat. Call 612 386 6276

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hi there nice boat and nice project i think someone put some money into that boat before those controls look newer and the outdrive look very new too good luck and keep the pics coming

jvl711

Cadet

Unfortunately I had a rough weekend with the boat:mad:

I was completely wrong about the state of the transom and motor mounts. As I was removing the last two stringers I came into a spot of bad rot on the transom. As I investigated a little further it was obvious that the transom had to go. The motor mounts where pretty solid at the top, but as I drilled a few investigation holes I found that there was a bit of rot.

It ended up taking most of the weekend to remove the transom and motor mounts. We used pry bars and chisels to remove the transom a few layers at a time. The motor mounts were not to hard to remove with a really long sawsall blade and some patients.

In the first picture see how the transom is not two full pieces. There inner piece is a T. Is it OK if I make the transom two full pieces of 3/4 ply instead of making the second piece only a T?

Also is OK to use the biax cloth with mat attached to join the two piecs of the transom, or should I just use a thinner piece of mat? I only bought one roll of biax cloth because I did not think I was going to need to do the transom and motor mounts.

DSC_3364.jpg

DSC_3395.jpg

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

I feel your pain with the transom removal. I think that if you make the transom a solid two pieces and eliminate the T it will be stronger than original. Do a search on transom rebuilds and I am sure you will find plenty of proven methods that will work for you. Are you using epoxy?

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

I think that if I were going to the extent, effort and expense that you're contemplating, I'd replace that transom and leave the I/O out and repower with an outboard or 2. Armstrong or Gill build great positive flotation brackets. Just look at how much you would open up the space in the boat too.

Captain Chris
SternMate?

eight tracker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

All i can say is if you do put the I/O BACK IN,and i would ,classier looking lines for that boat ,YOU DON'T MAKE THE TRANSOM TOO THICK LIKE OOPS DID when he did his hull extension, cause the outdrive and motor will be to far apart to work.
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.