Upholstery (how I did mine-w/pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

notsunkyet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Upholstery (how I did mine-w/pics)

i too agaree great pictorial!!! i went around the other day trying to get quotes on redoing the interior and got anywhere from 700 to 2500 bucks!!!! i dont know about the rest of you but that is why i bought a P.O.S. because it was cheap and im not made outta money!!! beside i have too many other projects lol.
but doing this i can do it all myself and save a few bucks!!!! by the way how did you sew the corners? did a regular machine work?

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

... by the way how did you sew the corners? did a regular machine work?

Yep, just a regular sewing machine. However it iis an old Singer made when they actually used metal to build stuff like this. The vinyl I think was 28 oz., and I just used heavy thread. I stitched and then glued the little flaps of vinyl on the inside together with vinyl adhesive. Worked pretty good. The vinyl adhesive you can get at Wal Mart. I have used it to patch snowmobile seats without any stitching and have never had a patch fail so far. Last year I patched a 3 inch tear in a snowmobile seat by working a patch inside the tear and gluing it to the back side of the original seat fabric. The tear held all last season and that sled got used at temperatures as low as -15 deg F.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

As an aside to those using normal foam, the plastic under the vinyl is very important. The purpose of the plastic (it is normally cotton batting) is to prevent the back side of the vinyl from slowly sanding the foam into powder. As the seats get used, the backing of the vinyl (fairly rough) will literally sand the foam into powder. And as others have mentioned.. foam is expensive, so don't forget this step.

SCItalian

Cadet

Awseome pics and instrucions. Looks great man defiently how I will be doing mine when get that far. Kudo's

McBoatin

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the great post! i was trying as well to think of how to attach the new panels to the boat. well thats solved. thanks iboats!

ex0r

Seaman

Excellent job man! Did you use original ones as a guide? I am doing a boat restoration and all I got was a shell, and am looking to add side panels like this, too. Did you make them custom, or did you already have some that you used as a template.

Also, what did you attach the side panels to? Were there already mounting holes on the side of the boat or did you have to drill some out?

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Excellent job man! Did you use original ones as a guide? I am doing a boat restoration and all I got was a shell, and am looking to add side panels like this, too. Did you make them custom, or did you already have some that you used as a template.

Also, what did you attach the side panels to? Were there already mounting holes on the side of the boat or did you have to drill some out?

For my boat I used the existing panels as a template, but the method is easy enough that you could get creative with your own design. Since I used the existing panels as a template, I also used the existing mounting holes. Hope this helps.

ex0r

Seaman

Yeah mine didn't originally have panels so ill have to drill them into the lip on the side. Does your carpet come all the way up the sides or just part of the way, and is it glued down?

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer

brilliant post, I'm starting mine soon as wasn't too sure onn how to go about. Thanks..

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah mine didn't originally have panels so ill have to drill them into the lip on the side. Does your carpet come all the way up the sides or just part of the way, and is it glued down?

My carpet is glued down and comes about halfway up the sides. There are also pieces of carpet glued on where the storage cutouts are in the side panels

Status
Not open for further replies.