transom cap?

68C15

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am just about done with my project '65 Johnson tri-hull. I replaced the transom and did all the glass work with great success thanks to all the info found here. but I have one small issue. it had a 2 piece aluminum cap over the top of the transom. kind of like 2 "L"s that slid over and under each other to adjust for different thicknesses. it was about 1/16" thick. the old parts are way to mangled to reuse. I tried searching all over the iboats site with no luck. my transom is 1 1/2" thick and the area in question is 36" long. what should I do now?
TIA Todd

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: transom cap?

I am just about done with my project '65 Johnson tri-hull. I replaced the transom and did all the glass work with great success thanks to all the info found here. but I have one small issue. it had a 2 piece aluminum cap over the top of the transom. kind of like 2 "L"s that slid over and under each other to adjust for different thicknesses. it was about 1/16" thick. the old parts are way to mangled to reuse. I tried searching all over the iboats site with no luck. my transom is 1 1/2" thick and the area in question is 36" long. what should I do now?
TIA Todd

Could you use thin wall aluminum angle. You can get it at HD in 4' and 8' lengths up to 2" wide. It cuts smooth and easy with a bi-metal blade in a chop saw.

berry79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could you use thin wall aluminum angle. You can get it at HD in 4' and 8' lengths up to 2" wide. It cuts smooth and easy with a bi-metal blade in a chop saw.

I was just logging in to say the exact same thing.LOL

68C15

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, cool. I'll go check it out tonight. how should a guy attach it? I assume screws would be a bad idea. maybe some PL 400?
also is it easy to bend? my transom has a slight curve bowing out from side to side. in 3 feet it bows about 1/2"-3/4"

sschefer

Rear Admiral

OK, cool. I'll go check it out tonight. how should a guy attach it? I assume screws would be a bad idea. maybe some PL 400?
also is it easy to bend? my transom has a slight curve bowing out from side to side. in 3 feet it bows about 1/2"-3/4"

Mine is just nailed on believe it or not. I would use small screws if you can get enough bite to hold it in place. I used 3M 5200 on all the transom edges to prevent water sepage. If you use thin wall I think it will form up for you. Thick wall (1/8") would require a bit of work.