1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

Thanks vegas, I tried getting uplose pics of the 3rd coat, and they wont come out because of the gloss, and prob poor lighting. But you can still see brush marks up close and a couple lines from the roller. Im really not happy with that. Thinking about wet sanding it or buffing it out, then if it does not buff out Im doing it over. Crazy I know. But I don't want to have spent so much on the paint job and not have it to my liking.

parrisw

Ensign

Thanks vegas, I tried getting uplose pics of the 3rd coat, and they wont come out because of the gloss, and prob poor lighting. But you can still see brush marks up close and a couple lines from the roller. Im really not happy with that. Thinking about wet sanding it or buffing it out, then if it does not buff out Im doing it over. Crazy I know. But I don't want to have spent so much on the paint job and not have it to my liking.

You should easily be able to wet sand then buff it out. Now I'm not totally familiar with marine paint, but I am with auto paint, I would wet sand with 1500-2000grit, then buff the sanding marks out, you need a good big rotary buffer. Use a good swirl remover to get the sanding marks out, then a polish, then a wax.

madgadget

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've done a fair bit of automotive spraying. Is there anyway you can put up big dust sheets to keep the dust out?

Totally agree on the comments above. If its bad perhaps go as low as 800 then 1200 then with cutting paste polish it all out...

thrillhouse700

Yeah only problem is I looked at the manual for perfection paint and it says once its cut and polished the gloss will be dull, due to the fact that the gloss rises to the surface during the curing process.

Thanks for the comments guys keep em coming.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I have read the same about all enamel paints (what perfection is). The top layer is super thin and is the protective layer. Once you sand or polish through it, you are into the soft, unprotected coating. Seems to be a cost of using enamel paint.

If it looks pretty nice, I'd consider just leaving it. I'd be interested to see if anyone's paint job turns out any better or if that is about as much as you can expect. Maybe sand it smooth and apply a 4th coat with really reduced paint just to replace the protective layer? You may run a risk of sags doing that, though. I feel for you, as I'm not having any better luck with Pettit.

thrillhouse700

Yeah the final coat looks good, but there is one spot on the side that has a freaking roller line, neither of us saw it because of the lighting. We got done took a step back and said man it looks good, then we both saw the damn line. The last coat was pretty thin and we thinned out more. So I dont know we may try to just polish.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Yeah the final coat looks good, but there is one spot on the side that has a freaking roller line, neither of us saw it because of the lighting. We got done took a step back and said man it looks good, then we both saw the damn line. The last coat was pretty thin and we thinned out more. So I dont know we may try to just polish.

Hey Thrill, looking at the pics you put up of the 2nd coat I think it looks great.

Depending where the line is im sure nobody would fault you for leaving it, thats even if anyone else notices it.

How bad is the line, it can't be that heavy? Like you said the last coat was pretty thin, this might sound strange but maybe try using the interlux teflon wax with cleaner and try to buff it out. the cleaner in it might be enough to knock it down, kinda like waxing out scratches on a car, there still there but you can't see them
I would give the interlux tech line a call and ask them

thrillhouse700

Hmmm good idea, I will try to get a pic of it once we get it out into the sun. It wont be for a couple days tho.

thrillhouse700

My problem is we spend a billion man hours doing a proper prep job just to have it come out looking like crap, so if I was going to be ok with it looking like this we should have just scuffed the primer with 120 grit and painted haha.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

My problem is we spend a billion man hours doing a proper prep job just to have it come out looking like crap, so if I was going to be ok with it looking like this we should have just scuffed the primer with 120 grit and painted haha.

I hear what your saying, I can only amagine how upset you must be, were all upset for you too. Ive had crap like that happen and it puts a knot in your gut.

here is something I just want to through out there, you still have used the paint tray or something that you can test using some compound on?
There has to be an easeir way to fix it other than repainting the whole boat with another coat.
All the paint is brand new on it, so there is no fading and such to contend with do you have any paint left-over? I know with cars you can do a small spot and feather it in using thinners. I've done that spraying though, never brushing.

Or maybe seeing its a line, knock down the line and use an airbrush to lightly re-coat the spot and restore the gloss.
Not trying to upset you just some ideas for whatever they are worth

thrillhouse700

Oh no worries man you guys are nothing but help, wouldn't be more upset by what anyone says here. Sadly we used ALL the paint for the last coat haha, we squeezed out 3 coats out of 2 cans. looking back on it we could prob have squeezed out 4 but it took us until coat 3 to figure the perfect amount to cover the boat with little excess.

If we are doing any repainting we will have to buy another quart. I will take pics if I can get them to come out.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Black is one of the hardest colors to paint! it is like a mirror...Im sure you are being hard on yourself especially considering you're not professional painters....
you could try by wetsanding and polishing in a spot that wont be seen very often, if it works out decently, do that to the roller mark area

....dont get too crazy with the sandpaper and go high grit 1500 or 2k like pre mentionioned...ps the paint look phenomenal!!!:)

keep on rockin and "lifes a garden, dig it" lol

Vegas

thrillhouse700

Ok so we tried color sanding out with 2000 grit, left zero gloss to the paint.
Tried buffing with compound, did NOTHING, we went to west marine and they price matched the paint for us. We bought another quart and started wet sanding the paint at 400 grit. Picked up a new badger hair brush from west marine. Going to scrounge around for lights we can set up in the garage. With it being black its VERY hard to see any imperfections until its too late. So we are going to flood the garage with light.

We will wet down the floor this time and try not to leave any lines. Any tips before we start again? Thanks guys

parrisw

Ensign

Ok so we tried color sanding out with 2000 grit, left zero gloss to the paint.
Tried buffing with compound, did NOTHING, we went to west marine and they price matched the paint for us. We bought another quart and started wet sanding the paint at 400 grit. Picked up a new badger hair brush from west marine. Going to scrounge around for lights we can set up in the garage. With it being black its VERY hard to see any imperfections until its too late. So we are going to flood the garage with light.

We will wet down the floor this time and try not to leave any lines. Any tips before we start again? Thanks guys

Can you clear out your garage? Are the walls finished? or just studs? what about the celing? Get eveything out that you can, then use a freaken leaf blower in there, try to blow all the crap out spend as much time as you can making it clean, last time I painted a car in my garage, I bought some thin poly and poly'd the whole dang garage, walls, ceiling, tape it to the floor, then moisten the floor. But I was also spraying, which kicks up allot of dust!

thrillhouse700

Yeah we blew out the entire garage with the compressor and also cleaned up a lot yesterday. We will wet down the floor.

drewpster

Commander

Black, and any other dark color really, are very unforgiving. The tinyest defect will show. Thats why custom paint jobs in dark colors are so expensive. It takes skill to pull it off. I am planning on dark blue on my tri-hull with an off-white topside. I bet I will be cussing right along with you. But when you are done you will have something to be especially proud of. Even the pros will appreciate it.
drewp

Now we know why most boats are white.;)

thrillhouse700

Black, and any other dark color really, are very unforgiving. The tinyest defect will show. Thats why custom paint jobs in dark colors are so expensive. It takes skill to pull it off. I am planning on dark blue on my tri-hull with an off-white topside. I bet I will be cussing right along with you. But when you are done you will have something to be especially proud of. Even the pros will appreciate it.
drewp

Now we know why most boats are white.;)

Aint that the truth, this is our LAST try. Found we got the best results with the HD rollers, instead of the really nice rollers. Going to go search for cheap lights today. I think the key may be tons of lighting.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Paint Paint Paint Paint.....ooh ga chaka! Paint Paint Paint ooh ga chaka!! :D

thrillhouse700

Paint Paint Paint Paint.....ooh ga chaka! Paint Paint Paint ooh ga chaka!! :D

HAha I checked this thread while working on it today. Made me laugh when I was stupidly frustrated, so thanks.

Today we spent a good 6 hours wet sanding down to baby smooth AGAIN!!!
Monday we will put another coat on. Wish us luck.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

HAha I checked this thread while working on it today. Made me laugh when I was stupidly frustrated, so thanks.

Today we spent a good 6 hours wet sanding down to baby smooth AGAIN!!!
Monday we will put another coat on. Wish us luck.

Glad to make someone laugh!
ANOTHER COAT uuuuhg....you're a glutton for punishment!
well, hope it goes on dust free...

CHEERS and have a good weekend!