1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: 1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

Oh can anyone comment on how to fix the vinyl on the seat?

I dont know what gets zombie goo & blood off vinyl..lol
I dont think you have much of a choice other than having it replaced..

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ah boo...... Stupid runaway grinder.....

My parents live in FL I love going there to visit. Its way more laid back than cali, at least it is in their little town.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Looks like you'll have to recover that seat pad...atleast it's easily available white instead of a 1/2 faded blue that ya' can't match....try sewing one up yourself, online vinyl is $7 per yard CHEAP 54"x36" or have one of the local seamstresses do it for you..

Huntington Beach and you're working on a trihull....you must have a deathwish! lol :eek:
everyone knows zombies love the beach at the ocean....you'll get eaten alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!. :eek:

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Ah boo...... Stupid runaway grinder.....

My parents live in FL I love going there to visit. Its way more laid back than cali, at least it is in their little town.

Oh yeahhh
Laid back is right....Florida is basically God's waiting room..Now serving number 654900000032100081...SCHEINBERG? Vic & Denise SCHEINBERG??

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Thrill, Looks like your Zombie thing has taken on a life of its own :D Soon they will be taking over iBoats :eek:

Hows the painting going? Where are some Pics?
I WANT PHOTOS! LOL

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey Thrill, Looks like your Zombie thing has taken on a life of its own :D Soon they will be taking over iBoats :eek:

Hows the painting going? Where are some Pics?
I WANT PHOTOS! LOL

In stores now..:eek:

zombpaclypso.jpg

thrillhouse700

HAHA I love it! Zombie movies are my favorite, btw.

As for pics I have a bunch that Im going to post up when I get the fiberglass out of my skin, eat and watch fringe.

It has been too cloudy with too much chance of rain for paint, we are shooting for tomorrow morning.

So to pass the time we started prepping the cap.

thrillhouse700

OK here is our PRE paint "we are bored as hell" update.

We noticed while prepping the cap that 90% of our spider cracks were located around mounting points (obviously). We also noticed a lot of loose screw holes and mounting points. We decided to cut some ply and make some braces or supports for these areas.

Anywhere that a screw is insterted from the top down into the cap we put a block underneath. Some of the blocks we just thompson water sealed, others in harder to reach areas we epoxy coated.
Woodcappieces.jpg

Blower mount, front and rear bow rails (most are already installed thats why there are so few) long strip is for the windshield, and round is for the front bow rail (rear).

Windshieldsupport.jpg

windshield support

BowRail.jpg

Front bow rail
BowRailSupports.jpg

Supports for rail

We also got this for the trailer
Roller.jpg

and did some work on the swim ladder.
Stairs3.jpg

Sanded

thrillhouse700

StairsPrimed-1.jpg

Primered. we will paint and antiskid later.

drewpster

Commander

Just checking thriller, looks like solid progress. Wait till you get to glassing. Its allot of fun. Lay it in place, next day you have boat parts! Keep us posted.

drewp

thrillhouse700

We have done lots of glassing haha. I am so sick of sanding I can't wait to get back to glassing. Today we put the first coat of perfection on. Only messed up a small part where it got tacky too fast so I just got home from another 4 hour wetsand............

Got the whole boat knocked down with 400grit, made me sad because the sides (only part anyone will ever see), looked like mirrors....

Will get my pics up tomorrow Im just too damn tired.

drewpster

Commander

Tired? Boating is a leisure activity isn't it? You still have stringers and such to do don?t you?

thrillhouse700

Before we flipped it over we got the stringer, and bilge glassed in, we have the whole deck cut out and edges rounded (not glassed yet), we bought some thinner csm for the bottom part of the deck and some woven to do the final layup on the stringer. I didn't get pics of this stuff because I forgot before we flipped it so I was going to get the pics after we flipped back over.

thrillhouse700

Update............ Paint pics!

Ok so first coat was a learning to paint coat for us, had some runs where we went too thick, had a couple spots that dried before we could tip it, one stupid bug that literally ran around on one whole side of the boat before it died, and too much damn dust.

Fist here is what we used..........
Solvent resistant foam roller, really fine bristle chisel edge super duper soft brush (was softer than white china bristle), Solvent resistant paint tray.
2 qts of interlux perfection, 1qt of 2333n reducer.

Paintingequipment.jpg

Interlux.jpg

After we mixed the paint together we let sit for 20 mins to let air escape.

Coat one....
Coat1.jpg

Coat1Transom.jpg

Here is coat 1 with the flash to show all the damn dust that got into our paint.
Dust.jpg

Pic of the gloss, even with the dust and the brush marks.....
Coat1Close.jpg

thrillhouse700

We spent 4 hours last night wet sanding the entire damn boat to get the dust out, used 400 grit wet paper. My arms hate me.....

For coat 2 we refined our roll and tip method and got better coverage with thinner coat, did the 17.5ft hull with 16oz of paint, and had enough paint left over to roll some sandy paint onto the trailer wheel wells.

We got a little less dust with the use of a tack cloth right before rolling it on. BUT, dust still settled on it and bugs crawled on it. Not happy about that.

Here is the pic of coat 2

Coat2Right.jpg

Coat2left.jpg

Coat 2 turned out 100 times better than coat 1, I am pretty sure because we chose black the dust shows waaaay more.

We have enough paint to do a 3rd coat tomorrow, we are debating how we will "finish" it, any suggestions?

2000 grit wet sand? then Buff and polish?
How long should we wait after dry to the touch to wet sand and buff?
Are there certain products to use that wont interfere with the paint gloss?

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Wow, that looks great even with the dust problem you had it looks like a mirror

drewpster

Commander

Thriller, Check out the Interlux website for all the details on finishing of and maintaining the paint. Outstanding! job. Its gonna be a stunner.

Thriller's Stunner.

BTW- have you been wetting the floor down to keep from kicking up dust while you paint? If not, give it a try. Im glad you are doing black. I am thinking about dark blue for the hull on my tri-hull. Thanks for working out the kinks for me.:D

thrillhouse700

Yeah, we got the 3rd coat on, and in some places its flawless, in others its got some mild lines, im kind of not happy.

I read the perfection manual and unless Im missing it, its just overcoating max time is 2-3 days, so im assuming that would mean after 3 days it would be cured........

The manual also says that buffing and polishing will make it not as glossy. So what am I spose to do? Anyone that has painted with this please chime in.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hi Thrillhouse......

Looking slick! that black is going to be hot hot hot! STEALTH BOAT!
lol

a little dust is going to happen especially if it is a slow to dry paint...wetting the floor and waiting for a real still day/night to paint is a good idea

if it was base coat clear, you would wet sand out the clear and polish it to a high gloss....a little dust would dissappear......not sure with Perfection though...consult their 1-800 or cust service.

the dust wont matter on the bottom anyways....it will be underwater / not visible so much....
looks REAL SLICK....leave it as is? hard to tell from pics...your call!!!!!!