1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: 1975 Omega Restore, the project goes on.

Thrillhouse,
I like all the items in the pic's. That hatch cover is really nice. I like those twist locks, if that's what they are.
Really coming along guys.
Bob

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Oh kev thats a real comforting post, hopefully once we get the old one off your right. Man I really like that wheel, It was 34 bux for me. Thanks for the pic!

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Thrill, I'm so glad you are still cranking away at your boat. I need to watch someone restore a boat.. it's like a desease! Keep it up. Iwant to see that hatch installed. Will it be flush? It looks like it will cause a bump in the floor.

thrillhouse700

yeah lowkee I am pretty sure it will be a slight bump in the floor, but this hatch got great reviews for strength and build quality. We will be putting it near the doghouse so not many people will be walking there.

We decided to do away with the little side "shelves" that were oem because they were ugly as hell, so we needed more storage and decided that under deck storage would be a great place for buoys and ropes and maybe the anchor.

We also have plans for some semi hidden rod holders.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Oh kev thats a real comforting post, hopefully once we get the old one off your right. Man I really like that wheel, It was 34 bux for me. Thanks for the pic!

I 100% gurantee you are golden Thrill...As I think of it, the exact reason it has the six splines is so that you can mount the wheel straight.If you only have 3 splines..the "key" in the steering shaft dictates the wheel position.
With these, you can mount her perfectly straight...Say the "key" is in 10 o clock..but the wheel is crooked that way..with this one..you can rotate the wheel to 9 oclock....and be straight..hope it makes sense..

Sleep well young Thrill seeker...lol

thrillhouse700

"sleep?" haha I passed out from the booze!!! Thanks for the info on the wheel, now im happy.

thrillhouse700

So the lost cause got the old wheel off and looks like all the plastic bushings and washers on our steering system are shot, any suggestions from you guys as to what to get? I know the teleflex system is 170 ish.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

awwwww crapola Thrill..Sorry to hear that..

chrishayes

hey man, know its been awhile since ive been on but just wanted to check in and let you know you are doing a HELL of a job! Paint looks top notch. Even with a few blemishes you should be proud. Dude, you painted it in a garage with a freakin roller and a paint brush, get over it!lol Looks KILLER from my house! Keep up the good work.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

So the lost cause got the old wheel off and looks like all the plastic bushings and washers on our steering system are shot, any suggestions from you guys as to what to get? I know the teleflex system is 170 ish.

Well for emergency use only....2 liter soda bottle plastic cut to washer shape, cound even make a bushing (one side will have a slit)
stuffs pretty bulletproof....

also mebbe check on some car part places....brake/clutch pedal bushings (plastic ones) might work....just a thought!

yeah where to get the wierd stuff eh!

thrillhouse700

I think we are just going to bite the bullet and buy a new steering system for 170 ish. We didnt want to but after figuring the cable and new control head would cost about 115 bux why not just get a whole new one.

thrillhouse700

Small update from what we did today.

Installed our bulkhead that will make up the wall for our under deck storage.
DSCF1171.jpg

DSCF1172.jpg

then we cut the hole in the final deck piece for the hatch, here is the rough fit. Still needs to be routed down so we have about a 1/16" gap all around so we can 5200 the edges of the wood so they are water tight.

We also PLed the seat pedestal bases down, this took a ton of measuring and fitting.

DSCF1169.jpg

DSCF1170.jpg

Tomorrow we will paint the storage area with most likely rustoleum marine paint. then lay the final piece of deck in.

sprintst

Commander

Nice exact work man. It looks like modern art :)

thrillhouse700

thanks man! The pics makes it look like we didnt do much, but with all the measuring and double checking all that took all day haha. We did start on our rod holders tho.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

thrillhouse700,
That really looks great man. Extremly nice work for both of you. :D
Bob

thrillhouse700

Another small update even tho we got a lot done.

Today we redesigned our rod rack 2 times and found a decent solution.
Originally we had PVC pipes running about 4 feet up behind the bow seats to hold the fishing poles, but we found that it put the reels right next to the swiveling seats, and put a lot of pressure on the rod when pulling them out of the tubes.

We scratched that idea about 50%, moved the rods back in the tubes until we felt comfortable with the reels being right behind the seats. So the tubes ended up being around 2ft long. We ran into the problem of how to get the tubes to stay put inside the kick panel. So we built a ghetto box and I just took a wild guess at the angle and it was perfect. So we mocked up some boxes and will do all the finish work later.

If you don't understand what we are doing yet its because we dont have enough pics of it installed in the boat :) Tomorrow we will work on them some more.

Holes.jpg

Holes2.jpg

Next we riveted down and 5200ed the cap to the hull.
Then Lost cause cut out the front bow floor, as we are going to fiberglass that to the deck.

We did our first lay up of fiberglass on the deck!!!
Layup.jpg

Picked up this AMAZING tool at HD for 4.99
LaserScissors.jpg

Yup LASER SCISSORS!!!

Man I freaking sat in our fillet. It burned my ***!!!!
SatinPB.jpg

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Thrill, You guys are kicking some heavy duty tail on the boat, it is looking awesome!
Your work is 1st quality its, going to be a boat to be really proud of.

Those scissors are incredible I have to find me a pair like that, I bought mine at HD but I never seen those.

thrillhouse700

Thanks HVAC, How are things going with you. Hope everything is alright?

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Thanks HVAC, How are things going with you. Hope everything is alright?

Hi Thrill, Yea I know I haven't been around much lately. Between work, hunting and the house and property upstate I have been going out of my mind. I was glad to see your moving forward and doing a great job with the boat.

Keep up the great work

Bill