transom cap replacment

3car

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am currently in the process of replacing the transom on my 21' sylvan aluminum boat. The aluminum cap around the top edge is in very bad condition, but I have no idea where to find a replacment. The part is long out of production. Any ideas?

henrye718

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: transom cap replacment

I saw someone here had made their own, he used a metal bending brake, the material if I remember was aluminum diamond plate. It looked incredibly slick, maybe someone here knows the post offhand and can paste the link.

So you should hunt down some type of bussiness with a metal bending brake and have them make you one, HVAC, siding, etc etc. If you have any curves in there you would have to angle them off I think for the brake bent metal. You could also just buy SS or aluminum channel material too ya know and cut your own.

reelfishin

Captain
Re: transom cap replacment

I've been looking for the same thing for a few of my boats but have all but decided to just make my own. I tig welded up some .040 aluminum to fit, and incorporated the motor plate and transom protector on both sides. The outside extends down to completely fit under the motor, the inside extends to the bottom of the splashwell and encases the wood transom.
Its time consuming and probably overkill but it will outlive me.
Another alterative is to have someone bend up some aluminum or stainless steel and fit it in place. This gets harder if your splashwell/transom edge is curved as mine is.